biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Golf sold.. another new project!

FFS a general rant really, i've been trying to find some good pics of this car and i've got 75 pages of text to look thru :mad:

i've gone backwards from page 75 to page 46 and got fed up :lol:

is there a showroom folder anywhere?????????

why pay out loads for Quaife or other after market cogs when factory 02m ones are good for at least 600bhp!!

because Karls mk2 is half a second slower on the 1/4 since he went from the quaife dog box to an 02M. can't change gear as quick. may sound like nothing, but half a second is a good few car lengths at 110mph.

why pay out loads for Quaife or other after market cogs when factory 02m ones are good for at least 600bhp!!

because Karls mk2 is half a second slower on the 1/4 since he went from the quaife dog box to an 02M. can't change gear as quick. may sound like nothing, but half a second is a good few car lengths at 110mph.

hey Paul..

yeah in all honesty I was just pointing out the strength vs money side of things. You are quite right, you cannot beat a dog box for speedy gear changes! No doubt in my mind if I had 4k spare I would go dog 02m, for sure.. but money is tight so 02m is the best I can afford..

But you are right.. Karl needs a dog box to speed up his 1/4 times ! :)

yeah, he only sold the dog box to go haldex. he was gutted when I bought it off him, then told him you can buy a skoda transfer box and run the haldex off the o2c!!

on the strength issue, never seen a TDI box inside, but the VR6 gears are a LOT beefier than the gear sets from the lesser models. can't see the TDI's being much different? both have 3.3 FD too don't they?

yeah your right. he said if after he gets the car back on the road (going through a couple of changes) and he can't get the time down on the 1/4 he will be buying a dog box for his haldex setup... only way really to knock another 1/2 second off..

Nah, I've had a set of rallye, vr6 and tdi gears on the bench and the gears are no different - strength wise that is - they are the same thickness and layout for sure. Only difference is the ratios. But I don't know about 1.4 to 2.0L gearboxs.. ???

ben

What's shot peening and stress relieving when it comes to gearboxes?! :-)

They're techniques to alter the physical properties of the materials that the parts are made out of.

Shot Peening is esentially like shot blasting, but it uses small steel balls fired very fast. I *think* it increases the hardness of the surface, a bit like case hardening.

For gearboxes, you want a hard surface, and a tough 'inside' So that the gears don't wear but can absorb shock loading.

Stress relief is typically achieved through heat treatments. Steel 'work hardens' as it is deformed, it gets harder due to the carbon deposits in the microstructure. Stress relieving heat treatments remove these stresses....

This is all true but you need to be aware that by hardening metal you also make it more brittle, this will increase its resistance to wear but the metal is more likely to fail when subjected to impacts.

There are a number of treatments/processes that can be applied to metals that can change their properties of hardness, elasticity, plasticity, ductility, malleability, brittleness, tenacity and toughness. Most of these involve heating the metal to a set temperature to achieve this.

As a good example all metals will 'age harden' this is a process that occurs naturally over time and starts immediately after the metal has been either forged/cast or heated. Anyone who works with aluminium will tell you that it is most malleable (easy to work into shape without cracking) when it is 'fresh' from manufacture as the metal gets older is becomes increasingly difficult to work with.

From VW's manufacture point of view it would be cheapest for them to specify that all gear sets were cast from the same material specification and with the same coatings/processes to ensure that they can interchange gear sets as required for new models. So I agree with Ben, I doubt there is any difference in any of the O2A sets in terms of strength just in ratios.

Nope.. keeping it! I got 3 sensible offers but declined them all.

Going to keep it for a while and enjoy it. I don't 'need' to buy a house any longer and thus can afford to keep it.

Got it back on the road at the weekend and tdi box will be superb for Worthersee! 120 in 3rd! hehe.. (still a bit left as well, but bonnet popped up!). I have a few plans in my head for the C but will be keeping them under wraps for the time being! Watch this space ;-) :) :evil:

Ben

Hey Ben, glad to hear yr keeping it & going to the next level...

defo want a ride in it sometime in the new year....

yeah of course Bally! Just come and grab me when I'm about with it, I should be at the next no rice in it ;-) But me and the queens finest don't really get on that well around that area so it might have to be a conserative ride.. No more than 3rd gear! hehehe... actually 2nd gear will get me in to trouble, think it will do 86 in 2nd now!!

Anyway your all going to love phase 2! woohhahaha... not content with 340bhp I've decided to go a little mental! Give me a couple of years and you'll see what I mean! lol ;-) Nuff said, don't want to tease you guys anymore until I have made some progress!

Ben

.... I'll catch up to you sooner or later ben -.- what gear box are you using the TDI gears with, looks promising to me, I cant stand my passat 3.94 FG and close ratio @ the same time. and me thinks Im gonna add a little whistle to my S/C'd equation if you catch my drift.

.... I'll catch up to you sooner or later ben -.- what gear box are you using the TDI gears with, looks promising to me, I cant stand my passat 3.94 FG and close ratio @ the same time. and me thinks Im gonna add a little whistle to my S/C'd equation if you catch my drift.

hehe.. keep us informed on progress with that little whistle ;-)

Gearbox ratios used were CTN ones from a Passat tdi N-Reg (96). I drilled the rivets on the rallye diff and removed the old crown wheel, used a new pelequin bolt kit and replaced with the tdi crown wheel. So now effectivly I have a complete tdi gearbox in a 4wd rallye casing. Didn't bother changing bearings as haldex will be around the corner but re-floated the drive and input shafts. These gears will be no stronger than my rallye items BUT if treated with respect they should get me to Worthersee and back in May (2000+miles). Then haldex for the summer.

I'm just loving the new ratios. But you have to concetrate a little more as you can be caught off boost!

Ben

yeah of course Bally! Just come and grab me when I'm about with it, I should be at the next no rice in it ;-) But me and the queens finest don't really get on that well around that area so it might have to be a conserative ride.. No more than 3rd gear! hehehe... actually 2nd gear will get me in to trouble, think it will do 86 in 2nd now!!

Anyway your all going to love phase 2! woohhahaha... not content with 340bhp I've decided to go a little mental! Give me a couple of years and you'll see what I mean! lol ;-) Nuff said, don't want to tease you guys anymore until I have made some progress!

Ben

ok cool mate... not sure when I'l be at the next no rice but defo will get a ride in the beast soon!

sounds like the mans got a plan.. good work fella :wink:

why didn't you just fit VR6 ratios and FD?

Because I wanted longer ratios than VR6 items. I can now sit on the motorway, for example to worthersee, at 100 doing about 2.5k rpm off boost in 5th.

I don't intend to 1/4 mile the car till haldex is fitted so longer ratios were the best port of call for the 02a/j/c setup. Will be binning it after w'see.

B

did that first item come straight from the beach :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

did that first item come straight from the beach :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LOL, classic. Ben you did say you got it from Dover..... Has there been another ship wreck with VW bits instead of BMW? :)

Jay

Hi Ben,

Nice to see even more progress on this motor, quite an evolutionary process!!!

Also am I right in thinking you have no rear brake compensator??? did you just remove this when doing your 4wd conversion?

Nice one!

120mph in 3rd :shock: :lol: That's more than most chavs get from their Paxos flat out in 5th :-) 100mph @ 2.5K rpms is cool too. Mine pulls 100 at 4500rpm, so it's not much of a top end machine.....

I'm leaning toward the FWD O2M at the moment. Good luck with the Haldex!

I hope you have some canny sized teeth :lol:

haha.. :lol:

:lol: :lol:

You could say its been attacked a little by the salt air, yeah! lol I got it from Dover so the car was based on the coast for sure! As long as it works I don't really mind. I'm not a chrome and polish person. Oh and I got it for £70 ;-) Bargin!

LOL, classic. Ben you did say you got it from Dover..... Has there been another ship wreck with VW bits instead of BMW? :)

Jay

Yep it did indeed! And no there hasn't been another ship wreck.. :oops:

Hi Ben,

Nice to see even more progress on this motor, quite an evolutionary process!!!

Also am I right in thinking you have no rear brake compensator??? did you just remove this when doing your 4wd conversion?

Thanks man. After turning down a number of offers for the car as I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, even for a house! So house purchase is on hold and I'm going for roound 2 with the C. (I can't not tinker!)

Anyway you spotted right, I binned the factory brake bias valve. It was in naff condition and was sezed - so I rendered it useless. I now use an aftermarket adjustable brake bias valve to setup the rear braking bias. I've currently got it mounted to my seat in the car.

Nice one!

120mph in 3rd :shock: :lol: That's more than most chavs get from their Paxos flat out in 5th :-) 100mph @ 2.5K rpms is cool too. Mine pulls 100 at 4500rpm, so it's not much of a top end machine.....

I'm leaning toward the FWD O2M at the moment. Good luck with the Haldex!

Yeah that was then, I'll have a standard 02M S3/TT 6spd box shortly and I won't need to bother changing those ratios for tdi items.... Will be nice to have 6 gears in the corrado!

Update -

Anyway, I just wanted to trial fit the haldex diff this evening as potentially there are lots of ways to do the conversion (with regards to custom driveshafts or standard ones, wider track VR6 syncro wishbones or my rallye items, dutchdub camber plates or custom wishbones etc etc..) and I needed to visualise how it will sit. I think seeing as the haldex diff is 10mm wider each side I'm going to attemped to have the shafts ground down slightly on each end and or the inside of the CV's so I can gain enough mm's back to use the exsiting drive shafts. Apparently 6-7 mm will be enough as the play in the CV's will take care of the rest. That'll save me 400 quid (for custom driveshafts - unless people have got them cheaper?!) on the rear end if it works! Still not sure whether to sort the camber out on the rear once and for all.. something else to think about.

A couple of pics from the trial fit. The CV's do fit into the haldex flanges, but its tight and they're not the correct CV's. I need to get some 100mm items. Rallye ones are 90mm. Also a pic of the rallye diff next to the haldex item - bit bigger huh!

fit the wider vr6 syncro wishbones. there's your 10mm extra so you don't need to shorten the shafts. Then use front inner CV's off any mk2/3 GTI/VR6. 100mm.