Sign in to follow this  
Viper99

noise behind passenger seat

There is a noise behind the passenger seat on the wall that sounds like a grinding noise.

It happens while im driving and while im idiling. It accurs in about 20 sec intervals and im not sure if it could be my fuel pump or what. Please help me if you could. Thanks

Viper99 Where are you from? Is your car left or right hand drive?!? :roll: :lol:

Just A thought. The heated seat relays are on the passenger side rear walls. I have a knackered element in the drivers side seat and if I accidentally switch them on I can get some very strange noises out of that relay pack. Its a long shot but I once had it buzzing for a full three minutes before I worked out what it was- and it sounded terrible at the time!!

Mkke

*mod edit - Removed double post for you - Henny *

Grinding noise behind seat at idle and driving sounds like the fuel pump to me.....if it was doing it whilst on the move already, you could point the finger at a wheel bearing. When pumps are really knackered, they sound like they're pumping sand, especially the 1800 16V external jobs.

Just got a PM from Viper99...

im from the US and it is a left handed stearing. (drive from left seat).

May help clear this up a bit... 8)

Right hand drive would have the pump behind the driver but if it's a left hooker then the external fuel pump would be behind the passenger seat so that would make senxce...

Easy to tell if it is - start engine, put head undercar in front of rear tyre, look at underside of car, see pump, is it making noise?

Had fuel pump problems on my MK2 - didn't sound like grinding though, more like a strangled cat! If it is this then it's very easy to sort out and you can find pumps easy enough at the stealers or breakers...

Hope you get it sorted mate...

i would of thought the fuel pump would be on the same side wether its a lhd or a rhd,seeing as all the fuel tanks are located on the right hand side?

Thats what I meant - just gets confusing... pump will always be on our drivers side of car but if it's a left hooker then that would put it behind the passenger seat (same side) savy? :wink: