gollfy

MK3 Golf sunroof in a corrado?

Hello all,

Quick question

will a MK3 Golf sunroof fit into a corrado?

I know passat's will just wondered about a golf 8)

Hello all,

Quick question

will a MK3 Golf sunroof fit into a corrado?

I know passat's will just wondered about a golf 8)

I fairly sure they are not the same, the motors are ok to swap on a late model rado but from memory the mech is a different shape.

Yes they do fit with a bit of fettling just make sure the mechanism is working correctly!, Mk3 roofs still fail in exactly the same way that Corrado's do!, you will have to use the Mk3's trim panel.

Yeah - I know the glass is the same on the moonroof versions as the passatt so I guess you could fit a Corrado panel to a MK3 mech but not sure if anyones tried...

You have to modify the MK3 subframe as it's locating dowels etc are different to the Corrado's and the glass panel curves more, meaning it won't sit flush with the Corrado roof in the middle. It looks an arse (imo). Don't bother. Get the flatter roof and mechanism from the Passat Estate.

You have to modify the MK3 subframe as it's locating dowels etc are different to the Corrado's and the glass panel curves more, meaning it won't sit flush with the Corrado roof in the middle. It looks an arse (imo). Don't bother. Get the flatter roof and mechanism from the Passat Estate.

Ah ok so the Mechs are different but the Passat ones seems more 'MK3' and hopefully more reliable than the original...

See I read that about the glass being more curved Kev but the MK3 I looked at the other day had the same part number as my Passat one and the fit on mine is perfect.

Are you running a moon roof now? - if not you'll have to have a look at mine down the pub tomorrow.

No mate. I fitted a MK3 roof some years ago at Audioscape and it just didn't look right on mine, so I put the standard one back in :D

I had a look at a Passat Estate at Mark's breakers and Theberton and it was definitely flatter than a MK3 Golf's, but yeah I'll have a look at yours tomorrow. Maybe I used something slightly different. I got the MK3 roof s/hand off someone and didn't remove it from the donor car myself.

You use the mechanism from the Mk3, its essentially the same as the Corrado bar the bit that tilts the the Corrado sunroof interior trim., on the Mk3 the panel slides back a few inches when you put the roof on tilt, on the Corrado it opens the flap in the trim.

You have to remove the plastic U surround that makes the mechanism not visible from inside rthe car on the Mk3 mech but you cant really see it anyhow, also with the roof on tilt you can see the inside of the Corrado body colour panel as the interior panel slides back a few inches, either matt black or stick some cloth over the inside edge.

Shame the roof mechs on VW's are made from shite cast ally that breaks so easilly...

Anyone know whether a Mk5 sunroof would fit? Or maybe just the mechanism with the corrado panel?

I'm not sure on the mk5 roof - quite a bit bigger as a car and haven't heard of it as option so perhaps not? I have a mk3 mech in mine (you can get them for around £50-60 delivered - Leo GS Burley on facebook is pretty good). Though you'll have to bin the glass part of the mk3 roof as it's too curved. The Passat B4 (and B3) era glass fits perfectly and I have also heard mk1 Octavia works well too. It's quite a nice upgrade as brings more light into the cabin without it being open. A new seal for the Passat roof is about £90 so it's not a super cheap option when all added up and I think the seal is probably needed as my original one had shrunk quite a it and didn't fully fill the aperture but a new seal solved that. 

The Passat B4 seems a good option then - i like the idea of more light in the car, creates a feeling of more space.  Sorry Matt, just for my understanding do you mean a Passat glass in a Mk3 mechanism?  Thanks for the heads up to Leo GS Burley - i'll drop him a note and see whats available

Yes the B4 Passat glass into a mk3 mech. Passat glasses aren't that easy to find either but may be worth a post on the ccgb group to see if any old time members have one in their stash to sell off. I got my from Stuart Taylor on here as he used to break Passats but that was a while ago.

Here's some pics after a new seal was fitted & also the mk3 inner sunblind panel is a very good match the corrado grey headliner too.

20210813_164720.jpg

20210813_164724.jpg

20210813_164732.jpg

20210813_164715.jpg

Even better and easier to find Hasan. Might even try and find one myself as a spare but will wait a bit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just to update here, many thanks Matt for the reference to Leo GS Burley. Bought one off him. Good guy to deal with,very well packed and in fact told me the one he had wasnt sliding back too well, so he waited for another good one before sending it out.

Just need the Octavia glass now (thanks Dox), but I'll take my time to strip this mech down and lube it properly

My interior is cream so the blind will need to be recovered. By the way, some years back someone posted up about a good paint colour match for the interior plastics - but no idea who it was and can't get the search to work very well either..any suggestions?

Edited by fla

Hey Hasan, when I dropped in the octavia sunroof it was from a bog-standard estate and had a cream blind, I wonder if you've got a VRS one with the black headlining?

10 hours ago, science said:

Hey Hasan, when I dropped in the octavia sunroof it was from a bog-standard estate and had a cream blind, I wonder if you've got a VRS one with the black headlining?

Hi Neil, good to see you back here, its been a while. Whats happening on the Corrado front?

I actually got a Golf 3 sunroof from Leo Burley, but need to now get hold of an octavia glass panel and a cream blind. That's further down the line, i need to strip this one down and grease it up properly first. Then the nice jobs after that!