Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Smoke from heater vents ?

I get what looks and smells like smoke from my heater vents when I first switch the blower on, it clears after about 20 seonds. Now I'm quite concerned about his as you'd expect. The engine doesn't have to be warm when this happens and I know the heater matrix has been replaced in the last few years so I'm ruling that out. I'm not getting any coolant loss either. I'm thinking there maybe a problem with the motor or associated wiring?

Any help very much appreciated.

Dave

Any bearing noise from the fan, might possibly be the resistor on its way out maybe

Also when i replaced my fan and resisotr pack recently the old fan had loads of crap in it almost like soot is it possible you are mistaking the smoke for that?? Only way to tell for sure is take the fan out of the hosing an turn it on and see where its smoking from

could be the heater motor on its way out? does it work on all speeds or just number four, if so that could be the heater rheostat - this controls the speed, but that shouldnt cause any smoke.

Might be worth checking the head light switch wiring just to make shore its not that and to be on the safe side.

Doubt it'd be anything to do with the headlight switch / associated wiring.. wondering if the seal on the plenum chamber cover has perished, allowing water in, which has damaged the heater motor..? Is it nice and quiet when it's running and does it run well at all speeds?

Works on all speeds although when I first saw the car it did stop working at one point. Didn't listen too carefully to the motor so not sure about noise.

As for the seal on the plenum chamber I bought one from the dealer but couldn't change it as it's been glued down :scratch:

I'll pull the motor out and see what I get when switched on.

Thanks for all replies.

mine used to stop working and then start workin after a few yards replaced motor and resistor pack and not had a prob since good luck

Sure I've got an old heater motor somewhere in my lock up Dave.. it's noisy but it never used to smoke. You're welcome to try it just to rule it out as being the cause of the smoke.

A new one was something like £57 but that was about 4 years ago!

Ok I've found the motor to be buggered. Took it out of the housing and switched it on, sometimes it wouldn't start without a push but when it got going it would spin slowly and yes there was that burning smell. Rotating my hand whilst it was spinning also gave random results, was noisy at times too.

I'll put up a wanted ad.

Thanks for peeps replies. I swear I will fix all my problems :lol:

Sure I've got an old heater motor somewhere in my lock up Dave.. it's noisy but it never used to smoke. You're welcome to try it just to rule it out as being the cause of the smoke.

That doesn't seem to bad, anyone know how much they are now? Does the motor come with a new fuse/resistor or is this a separate part?

That doesn't seem to bad, anyone know how much they are now? Does the motor come with a new fuse/resistor or is this a separate part?

It's not a good time for me to spend at least that sort of money, I've just found out the crack pipe on my VR is knackered.

Seperate part sadly Gareth. And this motor was a Euro Car Parts replacement, not VAG... just looked on their site and that part is now £41.08 ex. VAT :)

Seperate part sadly Gareth. And this motor was a Euro Car Parts replacement, not VAG... just looked on their site and that part is now £41.08 ex. VAT :)

Thanks Jim, I know it's not alot to pay but I've got other priorities so a cheap used one will have to do for now.

No worries mate - just putting up the details for future info.. like if people (gasp) use the search :)

It's not a good time for me to spend at least that sort of money, I've just found out the crack pipe on my VR is knackered.

So it's true, the VR6 was a drug dealers car :lol: