VWVW

VWVW - New home needed for VR. SOLD

Some good work there . I cheated with my carpets ,stuffed em in the washing machine lol.

Now, there's an idea...

Haha - the hacksaw pic made me chuckle - I power-sanded mine off!

That picture showing the hacksaw at work on the glove box was out of pure frustration as it was a nightmare to take out in the first place and a nightmare to put back in with that plastic protruding grid. I had to carry out emergency "surgery" on it.

Anyone thinking of taking their door cars off..these are the two hidden screws...one behind the speaker cover and one behind the door handle which you need to take the door handle off first held by two bigger screws. The rest is pretty much obvious where they are.

Looks like my door cards in the past were simple forced off from these hidden screws not knowing that they were there in the first place...as there are some slight damage found on my door trim and the screws were still in situ. i.e still screwed in but behind the door card itself and not holding the door card in place.

Edited by VWVW

Got my chinese headlight switch installed today from the recent group buy to replace the original one that I had managed to damage a while back (well a year ago) when I did my inline fuse mod. Ever since then I have always been scared to use my headlight switch.

I am really pleased with the chinese headlight switch item. Cheers for organising it Matt. Here are some pics with it all working. The new brighter LED lighting gives the car a more modern feel in my opinion.

I no longer fear using my headlight switch anymore as it feels so much better than my ageing/damaged one.

I did have a fire extinguisher on stand by…just to be on the safe side with anything electrical :)

I knew the aerial base was starting to crack up but was shocked to find the aerial antenna itself has disintegrated when I was inspecting the car today.

Will need to find a replacement ASAP.

Had a dry spell so thought I will start on the aerial replacement.

New genuine VW aerial antenna, OEM Antenna base and lower gasket all replaced. All sourced from ebay from different suppliers. Looks much better now compared to the discoloured and damaged one I had before. Reception on the radio seems to be a lot clearer too.

The pillar trim needs to be opened up wide as in picture to aid removal of the rear trim. The rear trim in the centre also had dried mastic sealant in the middle section that needed to be cut with a stanley knife before it could be released see pic.

I have also included a pic of the rear trim showing where all the fastening points are incase anyone wants to have a go.

Edited by VWVW

Today the weather was good so decided to attempt the auxillary belt change on my VR that I had purchased many months ago. Thanks to the how to guide from the sprinter magazine I gave this a go and after triple checking that the belt was threaded correctly. I fired her up and it was all fine. Was well chuffed with my effort. Have never done anything like it before. My advice would be to start threading the belt from the bottom and work your way up to the top.

This is a job I need to do shortly. Did you have to remove the drivers front wheel and inner trim to get access to the belt or were you able to do it with the wheel turned fully to the right and jacked up a little?

It's easy! No need to take the wheel off.

yeh and no need to jack it up either, easily a 5 min job

No need to take the wheel off..if your car is low...you may have to jack the car up slightly so that you can thread the auxillary belt from the bottom working yourself to the top. I got a halford M8 bolt as in the pic as its "strength rated" as I dont want the bolt to snap when doing this job.

Got the car trailored over to DG autotech last week to have all things brake related overhauled as its not something I feel confident doing myself. Once Done it will be MOT’d and taxed and will be my first drive for nearly a year. Cant wait!

- All metal hard lines pre made (by corrado .net forum member Volksword13)

- a full set of goodrich stainless steel braided lines

- A new pair of front Calipers - VAG

- Pair of front disks - VAG

- Pair of front pads - VAG

- Fully Refurbished Pair of rear Caliper – VAG

- Pair of rear disk (Brembo) and pads (VAG)

- Pair of rear bearings - VAG

- Pair off rear ABS rings - VAG

- 2x bottle of brake fluid - VAG

- 1x ATE brake bias compensator plus bolts.

Edited by VWVW

Long day last Friday. Took a 3 hr train ride down to kidderminster and a 3hr drive back home after all things brake related overhaul carried out by DG Autotech. Great service from Graham as usual. I got picked up from the station at Kidderminster and even got taken to the post office to tax the car aswell as it had passed its MOT the day before with no issues.

The 3 hour journey drive back home was great in the sunshine with the sunroof open and with the BMC induction roar on tap. I was also caught up in the recent "fuel crisis" that day and was lucky to get some fuel to get her home too. Only managed to get some 95 ron fuel but cant say I noticed the difference in performance from the usual optimax stuff I usually go for. It was easier on the pocket too.

Hey - just saw your post about following my aux belt guide in the Sprinter! Glad you found it useful! :)

Hey - just saw your post about following my aux belt guide in the Sprinter! Glad you found it useful! :)

Very well written even a fool like myself can follow it :)

A few weeks back I purchased 5 rear beige tailgate trim from forum member 87Jetta16V (Neal) to replace the set in my car that were badly cracked. I purchased some hobby craft felt and double sided tape and started retrimming any of the old/flat/tired felt that was there before refitting to eliminate any rattles. The double sided tape held the new felt in place very well no chance of them coming loose.

Edited by VWVW

It's well worth taking the time to do stuff like this. Nobody actually sees the work you have put in, but it does make a difference to how comfortable and rattle free the car becomes. Can I ask where you got the felt from?

It's well worth taking the time to do stuff like this. Nobody actually sees the work you have put in, but it does make a difference to how comfortable and rattle free the car becomes. Can I ask where you got the felt from?

I got the black felt from my local Hobby craft http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/Pages/Stores/ It already comes with adhesive at the back but thats not strong enough so you will need to get some thin double sided tape.

All play and no work on the VR today...Had a few moments of sunny spells and took car out for a drive just to enjoy it. A few pics with the point and shoot camera. Noticed I dont have any front shots when I reviewed the images Dohh :) Think I was slightly distracted as there was another photoshoot of a lovely model just behind me at the same time.

also still undecided whether to go to All types vw show or the Corrado National Day. All types is just down the road and National day is an 8hr round trip Hmmm.

Edited by VWVW