Sign in to follow this  
Kempy

CAT's and your MOT

just fitted a 4 branch and it has a decat, just want to know how I stand with regards to MOT and emmissions. its a 92 plate

I think the cat requirement was 92 on? Bottom line - if your car had a cat from the factory, you will need it for the MOT.

Manufactured after Aug 92 seems to ring a bell?

The CAT isn't a requirement of the MOT it's there to get the emissions down... they should test the Emission as to the age of the engine, not the car!

(so that could bugger up some with engine conversions if their MOT tester's are on the ball!)

fair enough Im not too worried tbh might be lucky, it could be an old 92 mine :D

If they say you need a cat to get the NOx and CO, HC levels low enough, you'll have to pop the cat back on...... or just persuade the tester to shove his probe into some other guy's pipe :D

If they say you need a cat to get the NOx and CO, HC levels low enough, you'll have to pop the cat back on...... or just persuade the tester to shove his probe into some other guy's pipe :D

*cough* machine has "self test" settings *cough*... :ignore:

Not that that's what happens on a non-cat car to get it through emissions sections... :ignore:

The CAT isn't a requirement of the MOT it's there to get the emissions down... they should test the Emission as to the age of the engine, not the car!

(so that could bugger up some with engine conversions if their MOT tester's are on the ball!)

im sure i read on here that it went to default for the year of the car if the engine has been changed i must have read wrong

As for engine conversions - they can decat as the corrado didnt come from the factory with say a 2.8 24v 4motion engine so conversions do have their advantages

your car can be failed for not having a cat (car post aug 92). an mot tester is not required to perform the emissions test if they spot this.

the only exception to this rule is if the engine is pre aug 92 in a post aug 92 car (you must prove this though). doesnt work the other way round unless your tester is dumb/visually impared.

i thought it was 93/L r'reg onwards.

my polo was 93/K'reg and didnt have one, passed every mot no questions asked. i know some MOT'ers so will ask some questions if you like?

your car can be failed for not having a cat (car post aug 92). an mot tester is not required to perform the emissions test if they spot this.

the only exception to this rule is if the engine is pre aug 92 in a post aug 92 car (you must prove this though). doesnt work the other way round unless your tester is dumb/visually impared.

Sorry mate but thats tosh.

There is nothing that states a cat must be fitted merely the car must pass the CAT emissions test.

Sorry mate but thats tosh.

There is nothing that states a cat must be fitted merely the car must pass the CAT emissions test.

sadly its not tosh. ask any mot garage if the fail text "no cat fitted - emissions not tested" exists or not. (wording may be slightly different)

whether the tester chooses to follow this or not is a different matter. like i said it CAN be failed.

There is no criteria within the computerised MOT test to fail any car for no cat fitted and a tester cannot fail a car for no cat fitted.

Cars that are eligable for the 'CAT' can only fail if the test if they fail to meet the emissions requirements, if they pass the emissions requirements without a cat then they pass the 'CAT' test.

I suggest you go and look on the MOT testers forum.

As for engine conversions - they can decat as the corrado didnt come from the factory with say a 2.8 24v 4motion engine so conversions do have their advantages

Mine gets tested on that little loop hole every year. There is no reference emissions data for a VR6 Turbo at VOSA, so it gets some very leniant "non cat" CO targets to meet instead. And the last test was classic. His CO sample probe was knackered (it was reading over 100ppm with fresh air blasted through it!!) so couldn't test the emissions anyway, so it passed :D

I have fitted a cat to it anyway as I don't like the smell of uncatalysed exhaust.

mine has decat, never had one MOT'd before, have to see what happens in August...

Think with a VRT you can say its a kit car or something?

mine has decat, never had one MOT'd before, have to see what happens in August...

Think with a VRT you can say its a kit car or something?

Ben Let me know near the time can recommened some Local VAG-friendly MOT places! :wave: :ignore:

Ben Let me know near the time can recommened some Local VAG-friendly MOT places! :wave: :ignore:

top man :salute:

drinks on me then :lol:

There is no criteria within the computerised MOT test to fail any car for no cat fitted and a tester cannot fail a car for no cat fitted.

Cars that are eligable for the 'CAT' can only fail if the test if they fail to meet the emissions requirements, if they pass the emissions requirements without a cat then they pass the 'CAT' test.

I suggest you go and look on the MOT testers forum.

:wave: i suggest you chew me off

cat fail.jpg[/attachment:3igz4fs7]

asked today when i picked mine up. they had failed one for that reason today.

mine passed though so i dont give a fook!

You can chew yourself off Pal.

Get me the coding on the failure sheet that youve plucked from the net.

cant promise but i think it was 7.0 ? could be wrong.

i can ring them on monday if it means that much to you.