Sign in to follow this  
Portent

Disappointed with the current mk4 Golf prices and build qual

Today I found myself at my local dealer getting a replacement alloy center cap for my 4Mo, so I took a quick look at the mk6 Golfs in there. I was absolutely astounded to find a GTD on the forecourt for £30k. Yes it had leather and all the toys but it's only a Golf for crying out loud. I also found the feel of the plastic was inferior to mine and the swicthes felt cheap and flimsy. One of them, in the roof lining, flexed a large amount when I pressed it. Yes they looked nice but really nothing above average in the quality department. I can't see me replacing my 4Mo with a mk6 anytime soon. Very disappointing.

I think the MK6 represents a huge leap forward in terms of perceived quality but only compared to the MK5. They spent so much in developing the IRS on the MK5 they scrimped badly on the interior which is atrocious when compared to the MK4. The MK6 takes less than half the time to build of the MK5, thats why it was rushed out, Volkswagen admitted that it took 1.25 million MK5's to be produced before they went into profit, with the MK6 they were in profit after the first one rolled off the production line

A standard, non-metallic 170ps GT TDi is close to 24k so adding sat nav and leather will take it straight to 27k, metallic and xenons another 1k.

Much better value is the Passat Highline Plus, certainly bigger and also cheaper with the same spec

I work for a VW dealer and I think the prices are a complete joke, how anyone would want to spend £24k on a golf (let alone £30k+!) baffles me.

That said the new golf and polo's are a huge step up in quality, easily as good as Audi in most areas, and I've got a mk5 and owned a mk4 in the past.

I'd go for the golf gt tdi 140, with the dab radio and standard interior for just over £17k. Easily the best of the bunch and you'll never know the difference between that and the 170.

remember that the Corrado VR when it came out was close to £22k with leather and aircon etc, so its nothing new that VW did with ridiculous pricing. Fortunately the Corrado pricing is something that, whilst making it a failure at the time, helped build the unique status of the car. Not that that's what will happen with a Golf....

Mid-spec Golf pricing is actually pretty competitive, actually cheaper than the equivalent Focus, Polo is cheaper than the Fiesta model for model as well.

Looked at the new polo for the wife. We liked it, but we bought an Ibiza SC sport CR 105 tdi (catchy title) on 17's. In general we found the Ibiza was better spec for where we are in life and better engine choice

do like the polo looks very nice

i'd second that. Infact i prefer it over the new golf... looks wise. Wouldnt mind a sporty polo! :D

Prices start at £9,*** too, which isnt bad really.

The missus really likes the new Polo, so much so she's thinking of trading in her MK7 Polo GTI for one, but a 1.4 or Diesel this time :? :sleeping:

Agreed on VAG's crazy pricing at the moment. They seem to be completely oblivious to the fact we're in a recession. Although people are still buying them, where the heck are they getting money from?!! And I knew this would happen with the MK6. Fewer parts used, fewer engine choices, built quicker etc etc, but prices go up :cuckoo:

As for the MK4 build quality, I'm not sure I agree. I worked on a mate's MK4 GTI and it's probably one of the flimsiest cars I've ever worked on. Perceived build quality is usually just that, perceieved. Don't be fooled by extra padding in the seats and more insulation under the carpets. It's the hard stuff underneath that constitutes build quality imo and it's gone down hill from MK3 onwards.....

Mid-spec Golf pricing is actually pretty competitive, actually cheaper than the equivalent Focus, Polo is cheaper than the Fiesta model for model as well.

Surely this is the main argument. Its all relative to your competitors. Yes they are expensive but then so is the alternative options.

Its happening to all vehicles at the moment, supersport 600's close to £9k RRP. I bought a brand new one for £6500 three years ago.

As for the MK4 build quality, I'm not sure I agree. I worked on a mate's MK4 GTI and it's probably one of the flimsiest cars I've ever worked on. Perceived build quality is usually just that, perceieved. Don't be fooled by extra padding in the seats and more insulation under the carpets. It's the hard stuff underneath that constitutes build quality imo and it's gone down hill from MK3 onwards.....

Absolutely!

try working with the crappy electrical connectors for instance, brittle plastic, stupid release tabs that just don't (even the ones in clean locations, no chance with abs sensors etc.) and lifespans of parts that are worse than older cars, there's a lot of 'cost saving' gone into VW's in the last 10 years or so and it makes working on them a real PITA.

Some things have obviously improved, body rigidity, door check mechanisms, some interior plastics, but a lot has gone the other way.

But then those are the parts that no one see's and where you can save money so its better to have the visible components appear to be better quality. 95% of people dont work on there own cars so it doesnt matter to them how brittle a sensor is when removign it. At the end of the day VW are in it to make money from selling cars so I completely understand they way they are made.

What about the fact that the black paint on the plastic dashboard and electric window switches used to wear off after 1-2 years on the early Mk5's ? Made them look really tacky as they were white underneath - and IMO not acceptable when buying a 2 year old used car. I've even seen a VAG service bulletin about it.

But then those are the parts that no one see's and where you can save money so its better to have the visible components appear to be better quality. 95% of people dont work on there own cars so it doesnt matter to them how brittle a sensor is when removign it. At the end of the day VW are in it to make money from selling cars so I completely understand they way they are made.

that would be pretty short sighted of VW, because it's owners that get the bigger repair bills, you can save money in some areas as long as engineering doesn't suffer

look at what happened to mercedes, the accountants ruined the build quality and customers definitely noticed, VW's are no better than their competitors now on quality and often much more expensive, in the 80's and 90's they were genuinely better engineered than a lot of rivals, you can't rely on badge value only

I know for a fact that warranty claims on the current Passsat and Mk5 Golf were massively higher than on their immediate predecessors.

The powers that be at Volkswagen seem to be placing a lot of emphasis on getting back the showroom appeal by improving the perceived quality, certainly the interiors and thunk of door closures etc on the Mk6 Golf and new Polo are appreciably better than their predecessors, whether this has been achieved at the expense of the buts you can't see I suppose we'll discover over time.

The real example that everyone should be aiming for is the W124 Mercedes range - great perception of build quality and actual build quality combined - surely it shouldn't be impossible to achieve both

The missus really likes the new Polo, so much so she's thinking of trading in her MK7 Polo GTI for one, but a 1.4 or Diesel this time :? :sleeping:

The new Polo is a cracking car :D But make sure she gets the new GTi. 1.4 Supercharged/Turbocharged with the DSG gearbox, 180bhp and 45mpg :clap:

How much will the GTI be? It's basically the same as a Ibiza Cupra which I think is near 16.5K, but probably 2k more as most of the polo models are (model for model) which seems quite a lot. We were looking at the top tdi (1.6 90bhp only offered in SEL spec) which is just over 15K basic, and got the Ibiza mid range sport tdi (the same 1.6, but with 105bhp) which is just over 13K as I could not see where the extra money was going with the Polo as it had little extra spec and looking at the residual values the Ibiza doesn't loose out their either.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the Polo a lot, but financially it doesn't stack up for me with VAG making the identical Ibiza available for a lot less. Are they not even made in the same factory?

The new Polo is a cracking car :D But make sure she gets the new GTi. 1.4 Supercharged/Turbocharged with the DSG gearbox, 180bhp and 45mpg :clap:

A mate has this engine in a mk5 Golf and it's a great engine. I wouldn't want to own one when they're getting older (10yrs+) though. Lots of truoble stored up there I think.