Sign in to follow this  
Rawhide

Does the 'Traction control' thing make any difference?

Given that theres loads on slippy stuff out there I haven't had the time to go for a drive. I read in the manual that the VR6 has some sort of LSD type traction control operated by the ABS that works under 5mph (for snow driving I guess)

Does it really make a difference? Can you notice it doing anything?

just search the forum, there are loads of threads as Stormseeker pointed out

Cheers.. I knew it was pretty crap as a 'lauch control' type application but was really wondering if it was any good for snow work. Think I'll go for a spin tonight and find out (metaphorically speaking I hope)

try putting traction control in the search doesnt always make things easier,just tried it and came up with 308 matches,much quicker just answering the question imho

try putting traction control in the search doesnt always make things easier,just tried it and came up with 308 matches,much quicker just answering the question imho

That's why you'd put "traction AND control" in the search box - 21 matches! ;-)

I thought it would be easier (and more useful) putting links to threads where this has already been discussed (ad nauseum) rather then just typing

"no, it's crap"

:-)

I have detected the traction control working when pulling out of side roads. Lots of steering lock, wet roads and a bootful of torque make it audibly attempt to brake the inside wheel. (You can feel it too.)

But I'd hardly describe it as a feature worthy of the title "traction control"..

Tried mine out loads list night and all i heard was a buzzing from behind the dash, didn't make any difference to me! :lol:

I don't think mine works.....is the ABS light supposed to flash when it's activated? Mine doesn't. The ABS light doesn't flash when the ABS pump kicks in either.....but it does come on in the morning when it does it's system checks though.

I'm not bothered about the TC or ABS light, just the anti-locking, which thankfully does work rather well :lol:

Am I right in thinking the more slippery the surface is, the more the pedal jumps up and down? The only other car I've had with ABS was a 325i beema and you couldn't feel any pulsing in the pedal at all, but the breaks weren't locking.

K

I don't think mine works.....is the ABS light supposed to flash when it's activated? Mine doesn't. The ABS light doesn't flash when the ABS pump kicks in either.....but it does come on in the morning when it does it's system checks though.

The ABS light only ever comes on during reset of the controller during its self test (such as when it's powered up or when you disconnect VAG-COM) or when there's a fault condition that affects the ani-lock function. A fault isolated in the EDL function won't even light the light.

And it certainly doesn't come on when the TC is faffing about with its pathetic attempt at reigning in the wheelspin...

The ABS light only ever comes on during reset of the controller during its self test (such as when it's powered up or when you disconnect VAG-COM) or when there's a fault condition that affects the ani-lock function. A fault isolated in the EDL function won't even light the light.

And it certainly doesn't come on when the TC is faffing about with its pathetic attempt at reigning in the wheelspin...

Thanks mate, I thought my ABS light was duff.....would appear not then :lol: