Sign in to follow this  
Swompy

Lets have your thoughts

id stick with KR cams over ABF ones imho.

Converting to Kjet is simple enough if you use a KR head!! ;)

either way the 9a can be run on kjet without any major hassle :)

Buy an engine or buy a donor car and sell the spares, have work done on the engine, whilst you continue to drie your engine to death, run it on k-jet for awhile as it seems more tuneable, nice n simple near enuf plug straight in, dont be too shy when Bedding the fresh engine in, the engines that have been ragged all the life are better because they have,later down the line get some big cams and itbs, don't waste ya time with carbs all u seem to gain is bad fuel consumption, get on 16v section on club gti everything you could ever want to know is on there, all of the above is what I did over the winter, I had a bit of bad luck when a valve stuck, put a hole in a piston and fucked everything during bedding in, I wound up putting a Vr in after that cos I came across a good deal, I love valvers tho and want a mk2 to do all of the above to cos I miss the way the valver revs, what ever you choose tho good luck, alot of time n money and you can be seein close to 200 naturally aspirated bhps from a valver, ied choose abf next time myself they feel nice n torquey on k-jet

Extra bit of advice, if you do rebuild, soak your new tappets in oil for a few days, they take ages to fill up from just driving them and sound like your driving a deisel, there's a few good descusions on clubgti about bedding the engines in, few oil n filter changes the first 1000miles it'll need some love, I like how the track guys go about it.

Buy an engine or buy a donor car and sell the spares, have work done on the engine, whilst you continue to drie your engine to death, run it on k-jet for awhile as it seems more tuneable, nice n simple near enuf plug straight in, dont be too shy when Bedding the fresh engine in, the engines that have been ragged all the life are better because they have,later down the line get some big cams and itbs, don't waste ya time with carbs all u seem to gain is bad fuel consumption, get on 16v section on club gti everything you could ever want to know is on there, all of the above is what I did over the winter, I had a bit of bad luck when a valve stuck, put a hole in a piston and **** everything during bedding in, I wound up putting a Vr in after that cos I came across a good deal, I love valvers tho and want a mk2 to do all of the above to cos I miss the way the valver revs, what ever you choose tho good luck, alot of time n money and you can be seein close to 200 naturally aspirated bhps from a valver, ied choose abf next time myself they feel nice n torquey on k-jet

Thanks for that mate

Will have a look on clubGTi

How much did the above set you back?

id have a punt at that if i were you. the guy also trades on ed38 at his normal fee of £330, and provides flow rate figures etc, which is more than TSR do! in fact, he even made a statement on ed38 that he guarantees his heads flow better than TSR items, and can back it up with all the figures.... sounds like win win to me!

Which would be the best head to get flowed a KR or ABF.

I think the ABF one would be best but couldnt say for shore.

Any advance on the above?

Also what do you think of this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-MANIFOLD-VW-CORRADO-1-8-2-0-16V-/190394776657?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5469bc51

Yay or Nay ?

Which would be the best head to get flowed a KR or ABF.

I think the ABF one would be best but couldnt say for shore.

Any advance on the above?

Also what do you think of this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STAINLESS-STEEL-MANIFOLD-VW-CORRADO-1-8-2-0-16V-/190394776657?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c5469bc51

Yay or Nay ?

Both links are the same :shrug: Looks OK. I'm sure you can get one with a flexi. The worst thing about the 4 branch manifolds is the lack of flexi which makes the whole system too rigid, and unless you have uprated engine mounts you do run some risk of cracking the manifold.

Extra bit of advice, if you do rebuild, soak your new tappets in oil for a few days, they take ages to fill up from just driving them and sound like your driving a deisel, there's a few good descusions on clubgti about bedding the engines in, few oil n filter changes the first 1000miles it'll need some love, I like how the track guys go about it.

If they are hydraulic tappets, you can 99% of the time rebuild them. There is a thread with lots of pics on club gti on how to do it. Once you've done one it doesn't take long to do the others, and much cheaper if you've got a valver.

As CazzaVR says a flexi on a manifold is very important in my view.

good to see your set on keeping the valver swompy,

mines up to 150k now so im taking serious consideration into refurbing/replacing the engine soon the same as you as i have a oil leak and bad idle (still!), will be good to see your progress.

make use if that nice new garage :norty:

cylinder head looks mint and a good price, would you be willing to change to solid or polly mounts to fit the mani? or just find a flexi one?

Jake, here ya go ;) clicky

Thanks Andi

And thereason both links are the same is because I went to quote the first post but edited it insted :brickwall:

good to see your set on keeping the valver swompy,

mines up to 150k now so im taking serious consideration into refurbing/replacing the engine soon the same as you as i have a oil leak and bad idle (still!), will be good to see your progress.

make use if that nice new garage :norty:

cylinder head looks mint and a good price, would you be willing to change to solid or polly mounts to fit the mani? or just find a flexi one?

Thanks mate

Good luck with yours when you do it.

I will probably get a VT engine mounts to stiffen :norty: things up a bit.

For what it's worth, I had a KR 1.8 16V with 4 branch manifold, Pipercross HT leads and a Pipercross Induction Kit make 149bhp, add in some of the fettling you've mentioned doing to get the 147bhp you've already reached and the healthy gains you're looking for aren't too far away. If I remember correctly there might be a ceiling limit to how much power you can get from K-jet, standing ready to be corrected. :)

On the other hand with a blank cheque (not my cheque book) approach my new engine is a KR 16V, running on twin 45 weber carbs, balanced blueprinted, lightened, high lift cams overbored from 1.8 to just under 2.0 puts out 198bhp, but for all the money thrown at this engine (not by me) you could afford to buy more power in my opinion.

Loving the garage, and the engine bay looking nice and neat bud.

For what it's worth, I had a KR 1.8 16V with 4 branch manifold, Pipercross HT leads and a Pipercross Induction Kit make 149bhp, add in some of the fettling you've mentioned doing to get the 147bhp you've already reached and the healthy gains you're looking for aren't too far away. If I remember correctly there might be a ceiling limit to how much power you can get from K-jet, standing ready to be corrected. :)

On the other hand with a blank cheque (not my cheque book) approach my new engine is a KR 16V, running on twin 45 weber carbs, balanced blueprinted, lightened, high lift cams overbored from 1.8 to just under 2.0 puts out 198bhp, but for all the money thrown at this engine (not by me) you could afford to buy more power in my opinion.

Loving the garage, and the engine bay looking nice and neat bud.

Cheers :D

i see the guy selling the reconditioned heads on ebay just puts up one after another, so no shortage :lol:

would a single butterfly throttle off the golf mkIII 16v be better with that head do you think?

i see the guy selling the reconditioned heads on ebay just puts up one after another, so no shortage :lol:

would a single butterfly throttle off the golf mkIII 16v be better with that head do you think?

Ya I know so its not to bad if I dont win the first bid or so. I missed out on one today by £5 :bad-words:

I wouldnt have a clue about the throttle body tho

I have bought one of his heads, haven't yet fitted it as i have a few things to do but just by looking at it he's done a really good job, port matched, widened inlets and exhausts, inlet throats widened (but not too much!), smooth angle from inlet to chamber, back cut valves and a flow graph to prove the job. And he's a good bloke, helped me out with a few things when i went down to collect the head. He knows his stuff and has a mean rocco running carbs. I really wouldn't hesitate about buying a head from him. Will hopefully get all my engine work done in time for bug jam so will let you know rr results.

Kunaal

I have bought one of his heads, haven't yet fitted it as i have a few things to do but just by looking at it he's done a really good job, port matched, widened inlets and exhausts, inlet throats widened (but not too much!), smooth angle from inlet to chamber, back cut valves and a flow graph to prove the job. And he's a good bloke, helped me out with a few things when i went down to collect the head. He knows his stuff and has a mean rocco running carbs. I really wouldn't hesitate about buying a head from him. Will hopefully get all my engine work done in time for bug jam so will let you know rr results.

Kunaal

So your one of the sods thats out bidded me, Every time I bid I loose by £5 or so :bad-words:

Haha keep us up to date how it goes :D

did you get a manifold yet Jake?

the one that CazzaVR suggested off ebay is a de-cat right? just hooks up to the 2.25" exhaust

did you get a manifold yet Jake?

the one that CazzaVR suggested off ebay is a de-cat right? just hooks up to the 2.25" exhaust

No not yet keep getting beaten :(

Ya it is a de-cat but going to rig it up so that I can attach the cat ready for MOT times