Craig

Rotrex VR6 Twilight Violet....NOW FOR SALE

You rotrex guys should get yourselves to the rolling road day @ Stealth on the 16th June ;)

Looking good Craig , As Rams said bearings might just need nipping up, if they aren't noisy.Not too much though !

Cheers for the comments :) yeah I've ordered a new ate brake compensator and some new rear wheel bearings. Thought for the sake of getting them tightened up may as well replace them for peace of mind for what they cost. Hopefully have it all sorted sometime next week.

In the long run I'd love to rebuild the front end with new mounts etc and rebuild the bottom end for reliability but for the time being while its all working I'm happy to just leave it as it is.

Rams, A fmic would be beneficial however just don't think it's worth the hassle at the moment. If I was to up the power I think it would be a must and look into it but i think the pipework fabrication would be a bit of a nightmare.

Anyways for the time being will chip at it bit by bit :)

Craig does still have and drive the car.

Spoke to him a couple of weeks back about places local to us for paint.

Hi. Yeah sorry. Have been a bit slack lately moving out with the mrs so Vr has taken a bit of a back seat as of late.

No pics I'm afraid but bought the full set of vt engine mounts that were for sale on here and has made such a difference to the drive, especially putting the power down.

Vr6 lee. As for headlining I bought some fabric off of ebay and did it all myself. All in materials cost about £50 and a fair few hours labour. However one of the best mods I've done as it completely tranforms the interior.

When my finances are back on track will be getting the roof and rear sprayed. However new tv needs paying off first ;) World Cup and all!

Loved reading this thread Ive just brought my first vr corrado after selling my mk2 I converted to vr6 and this has inspired me to go down the rotex route!

Ive been a bit slack updating things on here. As much as ive loved the rado and will be immensely sad, the time has come to let it go and someone else enjoy it.

I dont get to use it as much as id like and it deserves to be garaged and pampered so i will be putting up a for sale ad in the next few days with all details once i can get some recent photos, however the car hasn't changed a great deal from the last set of pics on here.

It pains me to say so but the time has come to move on from the Corrado. My girlfriend and I both have cars but walk to work and at weekends we barely use one car, let alone both. I don’t have a garage to store it and It’s not financially viable to have two sets of insurance/tax etc so we’re looking to sell both and purchase a newer car between us.

Ive owned M51 PMO since 2009 and I know I will genuinely regret selling this car as a charged VR is truly an amazing machine and something I’ve always dreamt of since buying my first corrado, a G60 some 9+ years ago. This car is an absolute joy to drive with over 50% more power than a standard VR and coupled with the rasp of the 6 branch mani and de-cat exhaust it can’t help but put a smile on my face every time I drive it. All in a package that has been mapped by Vince @ Stealth to drive like it’s just left the factory.

When supercharging the Rotrex charger is the one to have over the Vortech/Z engineering chargers; they don’t come up for sale very often, and command strong prices when they do, not forgetting the additional costs of fitting and mapping. The Rotrex setup utilises the original tensioner eliminating belt slip and consistently provides strong boost/performance with high efficiency, help keeping boost temps down. The kit was purchased from the Vr6OC with 9k miles on the charger; it’s on about 14k now (These units are good for 80k+ miles). The kit was fitted by my mechanic and I with a lot of time spent trimming/adjusting parts for the perfect fit. The car was taken to Vince @ Stealth Racing to fit a HPFP and map the car to 291bhp and 261 lbs ft on standard compression/ internals (thus the map is transferable to any standard 2.8/2.9 VR engine). After the remap I have added a de-cat pipe so the power may be nearer or over 300bhp?

All modifications have been carried out in my ownership unless otherwise stated:

1995 M reg Corrado Vr6 (Supercharged)

Twilight Violet Pearl effect

157k Miles

MOT Dec 2015

Recent oil service

PRICE: £4500 (Inc. surplus parts as listed)

Located in Bournemouth, Dorset.

Chassis:

17x8 RH ZW1s with 25mm 5x100 / 5x112 HR adapters

4 matching Falken Z914 205/40 tyres with plenty of tread

312mm Audi TT brakes with braided hoses, vented discs and red stuff pads (colour coded gold)

Mk4 rear brake upgrade (colour coded gold)

VibraTec fast road mounts all round (front/rear/gearbox)

Vmaxx Coilovers

New rear brake compensator

New brake lines all round

Engine:

2.9 ABV (Standard compression/ internals - Head rebuild and chains prior to purchase)

Rotrex C30-84 supercharger (oil reservoir and oil cooler with colour coded steel intake pipe)

Red top injectors

Bosch HPFP fitted by stealth

Remapped by Vince @ Stealth to 291 bhp / 261 lbs ft with print outs (before de-cat)

Devils Own progressive methanol injection kit with new washer bottle as tank (50/50 water & methanol mix)

Mocal oil cooler

Raceland 6 branch stainless steel manifold (wrapped)

Miltek de-cat pipe

Miltek cat back exhaust system with oval tip

Colour coded VR6 engine cover (prior to purchase)

Replaced crankcase bearing oil seal

New crank position sensor (starts 1st time every time)

New radiator @144k

New thermostat housing

MT90 gearbox oil change last year

Varta battery

Interior:

Black standard leather interior (heated)

Re-trimmed black headlining with matching visors/switches and handbrake handle

Thatcham Cat 1 immobiliser

Alpine headunit with iPod connection and USB interface

13cm inPhase front component speakers

Alpine rear 6x4s

Alpine 8” subwoofer

Momo Team 300mm steering wheel and momo boss

Heater blower works on all 4 speeds and positions

Exterior:

Remote central locking with key fob x2

Smoothed rear panel and bumper

Side strips removed (prior to purchase)

Red rear lights

Lupo wipers

HID lights (prior to purchase)

Working sunroof

Uncracked fog lights

Rear wiper removed

SWG scuttle tray

Professionally detailed in April correcting any paint swirls/holograms etc

The good points far outweigh the not so good but here’s the minor/development opportunities:

The engine is smoking under heavy acceleration/WOT – possibly ovalised bores/worn valve stem seal?

Bonnet has a very small ding and some tiny blistering

Some bubbling by indicator in NS wing

Some rust on the tailgate underneath the spoiler

Spoiler disabled – Was sticking last winter so I unplugged the motor, it works by hand, just needs lubing.

ABS light is intermittent. Possible loose fusebox connection

Passenger window does not fully go up, however is air/watertight

I have listed the car in as honest condition as possible. I wouldn’t want anyone to make a journey to view a car under false pretence. For a car of 20 years it is in great condition and I think she is definitely up there with the best. Living within 2 miles of Jason (subcool), Bournemouth James and previously Ramseys immaculate VRs, I can honestly say she holds her own against some of the most cherished corrados in the uk. I had planned to correct all little points over the summer such as a smoothed bonnet, NS wing and lube the spoiler but my girlfriends seeded the idea of contributing to a newer car so all of a sudden my plans have changed.

With the engine I want to be 100% honest, I could not mention this and any prospective buyer likely won’t notice (it’s easy to miss) but that’s not my game and I’d hate anyone to think I have misled them.

The first time I was notified of a puff of smoke was when a few forum members got together for a local meet and one noticed some light smoke under hard acceleration. This was approx. 24 months ago and nothing has changed since. I’m no mechanic but I think it might be a case of valve stem seals or ovalised bores which is quite common on the 2.9 ABV due to the thin cylinder walls. If you do a forum search you’ll find 2.9 VRs have always been a bit smokey, it’s been discussed in many topics and I bet more owners experience this than they’d like to admit. I had no intention to sell the car so I bought an 85k mile 2.8 AAA engine from an automatic golf (AAA known to be a stronger block). IF the engine got worse I planned to swap the 2.9 block for the golf 2.8, Simples. For someone competent this can be done in a weekend.

However there hasn’t been the need as this engine has been strong and still pulls like a train, the same as the day it was mapped. I was reluctant to replace it being that it never fails to start first time and sounds crisp @ idle or full chat. Bar needing a top up of oil every now and again like most VRs its excellent and is still always warmed up to 80c oil before going over 3k RPM so ive been averse to change the engine for the sake of it.

The car has still been serviced with oil, coolant etc at least every year by my mechanic with the most recent oil/filter service last month; however this has not been stamped as I always got him to do it while carrying out other work. The previous service history is mainly VW however I’m sure you will agree, having a thorough mechanic review the car is better than taking it to VW where some apprentice will likely not even know what it is.

I can appreciate this might put you off and if so be it, feel free to ignore this advert. I’m in no rush to sell or pull the wool over anyone’s eyes. I have been honest and priced the car accordingly compared to other past and present Corrados in the market, bearing in mind the spare parts also included. If the engines were swapped and the car put back on the market I would be putting a significantly higher asking price, however in that process id be too tempted to put some cams in the engine and get Vince to tweak the map but this isn’t feasible for me now.

Surplus parts included in the sale price are:

2.8 AAA 65k engine from an Auto Vr Golf (this is at my dad’s in SOUTH YORKSHIRE @ S61 3BN and I accept no liability as to its condition and buyer arranges collection at their own expense if they want the engine – couriers are circa £50)

Original airbox

Original rear lights

Original front and rear brakes, discs and pads

Catalytic converter (for mot time)

Rear wiper and motor

FK badgeless grill

No test pilots. Genuine enquiries welcome for a chance to own an iconic VW coupe that’s only set to increase in rarity/price. Please ask if you want some more photos of anything specific. I have more high res photos if required as photobucket has diluted the images so they don’t do it justice, ive also tried to take a few videos. I’d love it to stay on the forum and for someone to get as much joy out of the ownership as I have and take it to the next level and pamper it as it deserves. I don’t think I know of anyone who has sold their rado and not regretted it and I don’t expect this sale to be any different after putting so much time and effort to get it where it is, however the time has come to try something different and see what I can persuade the girlfriend to let us/me buy .

Thanks

Craig 07568357427

20150421_193319.jpg

20150421_193224.jpg

20150421_192941.jpg

20150421_192927.jpg

20150421_192852.jpg

20150421_192053.jpg

20150421_192008.jpg

20150421_193108.jpg

20150421_192643.jpg

Edited by Craig

Sad times as the car sold this evening. Bit surprised by a lack of comments here but hey ho. Oli, the first chap to view bought the car and I wish him many happy miles. He's on here so might start his own thread. It's been a pleasure owning a g60 and my charged Vr and I'll always have a soft spot for the corrado, this forum has been a great help over the years but it's to move on and I'll still stop by to have a nose what projects are on the go :)

Sorry to see you have sold up Craig , any thing in mind for a replacement?

Thanks Craig. She is a lovely car. Look forward to some weekend driving. Pleasure to meet you. Oli

Thanks all. Will still be here and always have a soft spot for the rado :)who knows in years to come I may even return ;)

Pains me to say this, but I recently found this one in a scrap yard.

It appears it caught fire on the M5, there wasn't a lot left of it.

I did, however, manage to rescue the supercharger, fortunately the fire seemed to stop just after the bulkhead.

Blimey! Craig’s old motor el mort. Was there anything else worth saving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was still the 6 branch on it, but the scrap yard was very small with next to no room and there was no way I was having the car up in the air to access the exhaust.

The wheels were still on it, but the one closes the fuel tank filler had actually warped due to the heat.

Next pic isn't for the squeamish...

39375515981_63a1fbf538_c.jpg