Sign in to follow this  
rado-steve

Project "Is that Your Parents Car?"

Hi All,

Well I did it...............Bought One of the Fastest Biggest Estates that you can buy........

The Volvo 850R

Got it last week, took it to T-park on Wed where it got more attention than my Rado Anyway Liam was looking round it and said "its a bit filthy for one of your cars ain't it" Cheeky Get! Anyway can't have that so gave it the works today, full interior Valet, Clay Bar and Waxed! Its come up bloody lovely

The 850R was nearly £35K new in 1996!!! It comes with nearly every toy you can think of........Leather/Alcantara electric seats, TRACS, Torsen LSD, Electric Windows, Dual Zone Climate Control, 6-Disc Autochanger, Electric Mirrors, Electric Tilt & Slide Sunroof, Trip Computer, Cruise Control, ABS, Load Cover, Intergrated Dog Guard and the full 2.3, 5-Cylinder 20V motor with 250Bhp as standard! Limited to 155mph!!

Its also pretty rare in the fact that its 2WD and a Manual! Its got a full 3" Stainless system, ITG filter, Full Samco's and Koni Suspension! It sounds awesome, that 5-Pot motor has got such a good noise!!!

It drives spot on, goes well too for such a Big Bus!!! The way it cruises at speed is unbelievable!

Here are Some Pics from today after I finished cleaning it, Phil I hope your proud

sam1734.jpg

sam1739.jpg

sam1738.jpg

sam1761.jpg

sam1757.jpg

sam1752.jpg

sam1742.jpg

sam1772.jpg

sam1743.jpg

sam1760.jpg

sam1758.jpg

sam1746.jpg

sam1745.jpg

sam1768.jpg

If you saw it on Wednesday I think You'll agree it's come up lovely!!!

It's going to VolMech on Tuesday for a Health check and then Hopefully I'll get it Mapped....apparantly they'll chip up to about 300Bhp!!!

That should be fun then

What Do You Think?????

I had a standard 850 glt for a short time, lovely car to drive and once you get it rolling......

Yours looks immaculate!

Didnt want to part with it but kinda needed the space :(

wow thats a big wash :shock:

A Big wash then try Clay Barring it and waxing the damn thing......... :cuckoo:

Love it, my parents brought a Volvo 243 GLT estate new in 1979 and had it for years. I like big old volvo's for some strange reason, and when my parents got rid of there's it brought a tear to my eye.

Well it went for a diagnostics check yesterday...Looks like it is the Lambda Probe :(

£180 from Volvo for a new one.....and I thought VW prices were expensive!!!

Found the cause of my oil leak too, Seal on the turbo oil return pipe, common problem apparantly and an easy fix!

Not too bad overall!

this would be perfect for my fishing car, i keep looking for an old volvo estate, but nothing near that nice 8)

Oh the connotations of reading 'my parents had one' and 'old Volvo'. Sure you're not getting offended rado-steve? :p :D

Indeed my dad also had one in der '80s - it was big, solid an' brown. :)

its a beast, but you wouldnt catch me driving a car with wipers on the lights :lol:

Shame as that rules out E30 Beemers :grin:

It goes like a freight train......as a young S3 owner found out yesterday as I was glued to his rear bumper :norty:

Nice, I do like the old 850Rs. What's the diference between the R and the 'T'5R?

I did investigate them ages ago but FWD and solid front discs put me off a bit tbh. I like my Volvos to be RWD :D

That 5 pot turbo is a Porsche designed engine in case you didn't know, and it's tough as the preverbial outhouse :salute:

how funny, i would of cried if i couldnt loose a volvo estate :lol: fair play mate!!!

The 850R's are 250bhp std :shock:

Nice, I do like the old 850Rs. What's the diference between the R and the 'T'5R?

I did investigate them ages ago but FWD and solid front discs put me off a bit tbh. I like my Volvos to be RWD :D

That 5 pot turbo is a Porsche designed engine in case you didn't know, and it's tough as the preverbial outhouse :salute:

Quite a bit Kev, The R was not available in Gull Yellow :( Has diffrent wheels too, The alcantara on the seats is in the centre on the R's whilt on the T5-R its on the bolsters, The R comes with an LSD as std on the manuals and has 250bhp instead of 240, plus a heap more torque! Plus I don't think any was an option's on the R's...they just came with it all!!! (Oh my bad the auto was a no cost option and the saloon and estate were the same price)

I absolutely love that mate in a kind of Lancia Delta should/shouldnt way :lol:

Great buy :salute:

I was just showing this to the Mrs, she loves it! (Only in red...she said the black ones look like a Hearse :lol: )

I love it...

nobody really expects a Volvo to be quick, especially the older station wagons that are as rectangular as they come...

I really like them. Uber practical too.

:notworthy:

I always wondered how effective 250bhp is at pulling such a big car? I guess what I mean is presumably its pretty bloody quick, so I was always surprised to read that it was "only" a 250bhp motor - I thought it would need more.

850 + TURBO, there is only 1 image that comes to mind

volvo_850_btcc.jpg

Cracking motors and great value for money these days just like the Saab Turbos,.