Sign in to follow this  
brookescourt

G60 (removing carbon canister and pipework) advice needed

What exactly does removing this do for the performance of the car?? Does it make that big of a difference?

What exactly does removing this do for the performance of the car?? Does it make that big of a difference?

The Idea is to remove the Carbon canister and open up the bottem of the sir box over the hole or make a cold air induction kit to go through the hole like the turn2 system for the Vr6

Can someone Mod that diagram to make it easier for everyone to do

i.e Show the connection to cap and redirect etc

including me, as i havn't done the mod yet.

Well, i was a little worried about removing all these tubes and all from the engine bay, but it was piss easy and took about half hour max... Looks so much neater now - and i can get some cold air... Cheers all.. :D :D :D

Here is an edited pic. Pipes to cut marked 1 & 2, i left a bit of pipe connected as its easier to plug the pipe than the metal connector on the throttle body. Pipe 3 just pulls off and is easy to plug up (Note: remaining pipe pointed the other way on mine to the picture). Pipe labelled V is to vent off somewhere... Everything else can go. Hope this helps.

I wouldnt worry about the brake ducts too much, VR6's dont have them.

Well mine does :lol: :p

Weird. I removed my CC yesterday but where '3' is marked on the pic above it wasn't a tee juction. I just had the pipe from the CC to the manifold no pipe coming out from it.

Anyone else got this?

yeah - me too. I think its done to look like a T to make the diagram easier. Although i know G60jet has a T from looking at his picture. Maybe this is done to attach the boost gauge

Pipe 3 is a rubber connecter so i just put a conveniently sized bolt in until i find something better. Pipes 1 and 3 are metal connectors so i cut the tubes then put a screw in 1 and big old bolt in 3. I think you can buy connectors in motor factors so will look there when i have more time

I bought a straight washer jet connector and two rubber plugs from a local motor factors.

I used the straight connector from where i removed pipe 3 and put a plug on the end. I did this so i can easily connect a boost gauge at a later date. I then used another of the rubber plugs to go on the back of the thottle body 'pipe 1'. Pipe three has a larger dia so i cut a section of the pipe inserted a bung and clampt it.

I've inserted a couple of images to show.

To plug up the back of the throttle bodie I used diesel spill off plugs they're just the ticket you can get them from motor factors or the other name for them is vacuum advance retard plugs.

As Dubcharged says, seem to have a loud 'blowing over the top of a bottle' sound now. Quite irritating. :( Got quite a long pipe on it too. Is it ok to leave this hole open?? :? Surely crap will get in...

Put a hose on it and route the hose to somewhere clean, like top of the batt area. Leave the hose open and you wont get that annoying whistle. Nothing will get in because the hole is located downstream of the bypass butterfly so air is always passing through it rather than being sucked through it. :D

I plugged the side of the throttle body with a piece of 3/4" heater hose and bonded in a blanking grommet which seems to work fine! No whistling but then again the engine note is so loud I probably wouldn't hear it anyway :D

Rob the diesel spill off plugs only come in one size which is 3/16ths perfect for plugging the back pipe out of the throttle body the side of the throttle body is too large to plug with anything else I found other than heater hose and a blanking grommet you do need to plug it though as it will be sucking all sorts of crud in otherwise

jules what happen with the sound did you fix it,i wanna do this too as i got all the air ducting ready.

Thanks Ant.

I did it the other day and relocated my boost gauge to make it look neater.

Have not noticed any problems with whistling noises so far, I left about 3 inches of hose and plugged the end with a large bolt.

Yeah - whistling is ok really - bit of tube did the job. Just generally a bit noisy. Think thats due to taking of the nozzle at the front of the airbox though. Going to do the piping work soon and sort out all the filters and hopefully change the booming noise to more of an induction noise.. :twisted:

I think I have this right but just wanted to check so someone please tell me or put me right. I'm in the process of ripping my carbon filter out, as described. I also have a boost gauge which I want to install. If I read all this correctly I can connect the tubing for that up to where pipe #3 (on the annotated diagram) was removed from? Is that right? Will my boost gauge run okay off of that?

Thanks!

As Dubcharged says, seem to have a loud 'blowing over the top of a bottle' sound now. Quite irritating. :( Got quite a long pipe on it too. Is it ok to leave this hole open?? :? Surely crap will get in...

I think you can just unplud pipe 2 from the plastic junction box thingie and cap it there. and secure it down somewhere

Pipe 1 you cap off at the throttle body and 3 you cap off too

and the V you vent to air, any safe ideas?

wonder why my boost gauge is plumbed in, cos it aint on plumbed in on anything in the diagram, (it was in the Car when i got it)

does this have any effect on fuel consumption or anything?

or even the fuel mixture? :?

Nah, the carbon canister traps hydrocarbons from the tank fumes and they're drawn into the engine off idle.....doesn't affect consumption or mixture at all. It's just there for emissions and emissions are a bad thing in the pursuit of performance :-)

agreed 8)

although a new bit of piping on mine has just transformed how the car drives so im gonna leave it for now :D

neil.