Sign in to follow this  
dragon green

Windscreen fitter SORTED 7/9/10

Fair enough but it sounds to me like you are now wasting your time expecting this company to deliver.

At what point do you decide enough is enough? The 10th, 15th, 20th screen?

Or do you still think they can do a proper job?

Been there with Autoglass, horrendous job, refits etc Still got damaged trim inside. The only way is to take it to the depot and leave it there. That way they have everything they might ever need and gauranteed weather conditions, also they have it for the day, so no hurry. A manager can also inspect the job before you see it. I know you said you had a bad experience at a depot , but seriously..........it can't have been as bad as what you have experienced recently outside of a depot?

Quick update,fitter number six had wrong trim !

Called into main dealers on my home from work,where my parts guy was taking an order from windscreen company for ALL rubbers,trims and screen for a Corrado ! Yep it was AA windscreens !

Ten minutes later,i am at home,ring the company to find out whats going on,

Big mistake on their part,they wont let me talk to the manager ! :bad-words:

Straight on the phone to the Insurance company,long story short,if its not done next Wednesday (when parts are in)

to my satisfaction,its going to the Main dealer, and be done at their expense :clap:

Ive had two phone calls from different managers,all eating humble pie !

p.s. im a fussy so and so

Quick update,fitter number six had wrong trim !

Called into main dealers on my home from work,where my parts guy was taking an order from windscreen company for ALL rubbers,trims and screen for a Corrado ! Yep it was AA windscreens !

Ten minutes later,i am at home,ring the company to find out whats going on,

Big mistake on their part,they wont let me talk to the manager ! :bad-words:

Straight on the phone to the Insurance company,long story short,if its not done next Wednesday (when parts are in)

to my satisfaction,its going to the Main dealer, and be done at their expense :clap:

Ive had two phone calls from different managers,all eating humble pie !

p.s. im a fussy so and so

I'd have gone to the main dealer long ago...

If the windscreen company refused to pay it I'd have got trading standards and watchdog and all that involved too... ruin the company's reputation if needs be

Two fitters came out on the 1st ,another screen was put in,and then they found out they had the wrong trim !! :censored:

Finally put right today with all VAG parts !

My insurance company Brentacre, have been a USELESS ! the only way this was sorted was by my daily calls to the manager,

I will be voting with my feet at insurance renewal time,by taking my business elsewhere !

7 weeks,4 screens,5 rubbers,10 visits,7 different fitters is not my idea of a well run company :epicfail:

Rant over

Agreed. I won't be renewing with Brentacre this year either. They've gone right down hill.

I had a minor non-fault prang last november and it's STILL not resolved. Fecking Highway and Brentacre, between the two of them, they are utterly useless people. Trouble is they are practically the only people will touch highly modded cars.

I wish the bigger players would get into mods, but they won't, too much paper work for them. They prefer underwriting for SAGA instead :roll:

As for Corrado screens. That is probably the worst experience I've read so far. I took mine down to a local tinpot little outfit and they did a perfect job, first time. Zero blunders. Zero leaks. I did ask when I dropped it off "What's this business about Corrado screens being a right pig", to which he replied "They are no different to any other bonded screen, they are not a pig at all". So there you go. The problem is the fitters, not the car.

What a farce, sorry you've had such a ball ache of it mate :(

Anyway my rear windscreen got smashed when they tried to nick the 52kg sub I had in the boot (too heavy so they gave up).

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that cracked me up for some reason :lol:

52Kg sub??? :lol: Was it made of concrete?

Anyway my rear windscreen got smashed when they tried to nick the 52kg sub I had in the boot (too heavy so they gave up).

Sorry to laugh at your misfortune, but that cracked me up for some reason :lol:

52Kg sub??? :lol: Was it made of concrete?

MTX Thunder 7512-44... it would occassionally set off house burglar alarms let alone car alarms :lol:

KInda wishing I hadn't read this thread now... :(

Got a mobile windscreen fitter coming out to replace my windscreen on Friday afternoon...

Wish me luck! :eek:

After many a debarcle I can happily confirm that mine is fixed.

It took a strongly worded email to head office for them to send out their "problem solver".

As I've heard before, the trick is to not let the screen slip down once put in place. The chap who installed mine, taped the screen to the body work (after asking my permission first).

Worked a treat thus far.

Oh and he wasn't as shy with the sealant as the last chap either.

...As I've heard before, the trick is to not let the screen slip down once put in place. The chap who installed mine, taped the screen to the body work (after asking my permission first).

seems quite common for fitters to tape screens in place to hold them while the bonding sealant goes off, but from what I understand the genuine screen kits come with special blocks to insert at the bottom of the screen to hold them in exactly the right position.

I guess part of the trouble is pattern screens then, as well as poorly trained fitters in a rush.

They're supposed to use adjustable suction clamps, attached to the roof and the screen and also special G clamps on the A pillars to clamp the glass down good and proper. And as Supercharged says, you're not supposed to drive the car until the glue is fully cured, otherwise the screen is liable to move.

My advice is to watch them like a hawk and keep a close eye on how they remove the old urethane glue. If they scratch the paint with their tools, treat it and paint it immediately. They'll just have to wait for to dry.

What Dave says is right (as usual!) regarding windscreen fitment. Can't remember where I saw it now.. think it was Supercharged doing his usual parts bin surfing at a show sometime this year.. he produced a windscreen fitment kit for a Corrado and sure enough the diagram showed little spacers which you're supposed to seat in each corner of the windscreen surround in the bodywork, which hold the windscreen in place whilst it's being bonded. This prevents it from slipping out of place.

Of course as with so many things, pattern parts are normally used and most companies never go to the dealerships for this kind of stuff - and therefore they'll never know.

Ho hum.

It's not difficult, the Bentley manual shows all the parts needed and the procedure - just so many seem to get it wrong and bodge it.

Have you ever seen a windscreen fitter following a manual? :lol:

Have you ever seen a windscreen fitter following a manual? :lol:

have you ever seen a bloke using a manual :lol:

I did mention to said glazing engineer about chocking it in place but he seemed happy with his solution and so far I'm not at liberty to argue :D

Ok, so Auto Windscreens just fitted my screen.

It's looks ok, at least it's in the right place and there's no gaping er gaps anywhere.

Just hope it doens't leak when it rains now! :eek:

And there's not too much sticky stuff on my paintwork, he made a good attempt at cleaning up after himself.

Hi :D

Just like to say something from a fitter’s side.

The Corrado windscreen comes with plastic trims stuck to the side of glass.

This makes cutting out of the glass a little harder and if over glued and also windscreen is pushed down so it is on or almost on the body it’s even harder. :(

You just don’t know what you will get until you start work on the car.

Cutting into the body sometimes is unavoidable due to over gluing. There is white and black primer depending what system the company is using which stops rusting.

Back to the trims there is a single top trim that is fitted to the screen before fitting, then after fitting screen a single trim for sides and top which is pushed fit and held in place by screen before glue dries.

That’s another reason for tape to be used which should be taken off after hour apx fitter should let you know, as different glues have longer drying times etc.

Suckers can be used but there is a risk of sucker marks or paint damage.

The outer trim should not be glued down if possible as again problem when need to replace.

But have come across this from new dealers gluing down.

As for the blocks at bottom of screen they are not used as can cause stress crack from blocks.

Also if over glued then the screen is solid in there. Allowing No flexing so it stress cracks or a tiny stone hits and cracks immediately.

If you take it to a dealer they use a local company to fit the Dealer screen.

I have worked with two large windscreen firms and it is what fitter you get.

now with cuts most companys are mobile and No branch’s like the AA so the call centre don’t know the fitter just a Grade.

I would recommend with the Corrado is done in a branch.

Original dealer parts a must (makes life easier for me :D ).

Ask for a senior fitter as the young one might find it hard.

A local windscreen firm maybe, as fitter might have 2 jobs to do not 8.

But with a local firms and Dealers too there are limited guarantees 1 month etc.

The glue might come unstuck after one year and get leaks or falls out.

Some big windscreen companies offer life time guarantees.

I hope it is some help, when deciding which company to use.

Ah Mr. Fitter, I have a question!

Following the fitting of my new windscreen my wipers no longer lie at horizontal when not in use. Is there a way for me to fix this? They're only about an inch and a half up, I know it's a stupid little niggle but... I am not rational when it comes to my baby! :luvlove:

I always had to re-adjust mine,time the fitters get to the wipers all patience is lost.

Just prize the black caps off, IIRC it's a 14mm socket,undo the nut(s) pull the wiper off and re-postition on the splines,redo nuts,put caps on, and test wipers.

Hi Purgatori

Well done :clap: couldn't reply busy working.

May I just add I haven't replaced a Corrado screen for over 4 years so my memory isn't so good :scratch: but will try to reply to any questions if anyone asks.

I thought nut size was 13mm for wipers?

Weather

Forgot to add don’t get a fitter to fit your screen in damp cold conditions very hard to do.

NEVER when raining even when he say’s it be ok as some need to meet the bonus or just trying to please the customer.

You be sitting on a time bomb, might be one day or three years then problems. :(

large Garage or at a Branch :) in the winter

hi all just done one again, nice bloke took the inner trims off all ready for me.

scuttle was glued down this is a common problem where the old fitter has no clips to replace.

but makes my work harder trying to remove them.

aperture was very rusty which i took all loose rust off and primered.

job done