oilman

Oil, some basic advice.

Hi

When you register on the website, there is a dropdown menu of the clubs we support. Select the-corrado from there, put your username or member number in the next box and then complete the registration. When you look at the site then, you should see the members prices above the normal prices. You pay the members prices, which include the 10% discount.

If you want something thicker than a standard 10w-40, go for a 10w-50

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-659-10w-50.aspx

Both are really good oils, absolute top of the range ones, so go with any brand preference you have.

Cheers

Tim

I've been using fully syn for the last few changes now. I used a Motul 10w 50, Millers 10w 60 and have now purchased Castrol edge 10w 60. Am I using the wrong grade for what I need or is that fine?

hello, can someone put me straight on what oil i can use in my vr6 corrado ABV year 93, whats the deal with useing synthetic and semi syn? i was told that i shouldnt use synthetic as my engine wasnt designed to use it, the guy wasnt a motor mechanic though,looking through the service history its had an oil change at a bosh service centre with 10/40 semi synthetic oil so that must be ok to use.something like this be ok? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shell-Helix-HX7-Semi-Synthetic-Engine-Oil-10w-40-5-L-/300454883970?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f481b282

Would the below oil be good to run in a VR6 dailly? The only modification to the engine is a new exhaust.

If it helps to know the engine has done 132,000 miles. Just asking as it needs a top-up before i do 700 miles over the next week

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1994/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoil/10w40-engine-oil/?521771871&0&cc5_245

Edited by eglin89
forgot to include the link

Ok so I have just joined this forum. Having had a G60 in the Uk many years ago I tracked down a 16v 1.8 Corrado (1989) here in New Zealand, where I am now living. car has done approx 125,000 miles gets used daily for short distance. The engine is pretty smooth although a bit of knocking until it warms up. It is obviously not as cold in Auckland (temp rarely go below 6 or 7 degrees). can someone recommend an engine oil. I have been using a semi synthetic 15-40w but it is due an oil & filter change on Tuesday. Cheers Daz

Best engine oil for 16V 2.0 - 94000 Miles? Driven respectfully mostly, and hard occasionally (to stretch her legs from time to time).

Heard the Quantum Synta 10W-40 505 is pretty good.

Cheers,

Ten Ton

Let me get this straight...

So the lower the w number (5w, 10w, etc.) the thicker the oil is at low temperatures. So a a 5w would be thicker than a 10w at low temps.

And the higher the second number (30, 40, etc.) the thicker (more viscous) the oil is a higher temps?

As far as I know thick oil is worse for engine lubrication because it doesn't flow as well, so a higher w number is good because it will start better cold because the oil will be thinner and the second number depends on how hot your engine runs so that the oil is at the right viscosity (thin enough) at operating temperature. 10w being good for what, up to say 120deg?

Right... ?

No it works like this the lower the first number the thinner the oil is at cold, the higher the second number the thicker it is at 100 degrees so a 0w-60 is thinner and thicker than a 10w-40 at cold/hot, i use mobil 1 extended life 10w 60 fully syn and just got some off the bay for £66 delivered 10 litres

No it works like this the lower the first number the thinner the oil is at cold, the higher the second number the thicker it is at 100 degrees so a 0w-60 is thinner and thicker than a 10w-40 at cold/hot, i use mobil 1 extended life 10w 60 fully syn and just got some off the bay for £66 delivered 10 litres

Good oil and a good deal!

Link to seller please good price

Not very good with links etc but the seller is (wotsitsuk) and the item no: 120910336729 was a good price and just recieved yesterday !

Not very good with links etc but the seller is (wotsitsuk) and the item no: 120910336729 was a good price and just recieved yesterday !

:thumbleft:

I'm about to embark on a major service and overhaul of my 1990 16v. I very occasionally encounter difficulty engaging second gear although no crunching unless I release the clutch too early! :rolleyes:. I've looked at the Redline MT oils, and was just wondering which would be better (MTL-75/80 GL4 Lub, or MT90 GL4). Car has done approx 160k, although gearbox was a recon item at TSR in 2008 so may well be an exchange. Thanks. :pirate:

If you search the forum MT90 will come up as a favourite, about the right spec for the 02A gearbox, although Castrol SMX-S and VW's own fully synthetic gear oil is a similar price and just as good and possibly easier to get hold of, Halfords certainly used to do SMX-S. .... they do: Halfords

there's also the syntrax version, which may be better as it's 75/90 GL5 rather than smx 75/85

syntrax info - PDF

smx-s - PDF

syntrans, replacement for smx-s?

Edited by davidwort

Thanks Dave, yeah I went ahead and got the MT90 not long after posting anyway! Its obviously slightly heavier so I thought more protection. Thanks again mate. :cool:

looking to do an oil change on a 1.8 16v 1990 its done just over 200,000 recommendations? also hear its best to stick with the vw filter?

So guys tell me what You will recomend for not hardly used g60 with 150k on the clock...I bought one and i have to change my oil.

I've ordered some oil today as the annual service is due in a couple of months. I opted for some Fuchs/Silkolene Titan Race Pro 10W50 - the same as I used last year. I'm very happy with the oil and I can't say I've noticed any drop in level at all so the engine must be in reasonable condition (now on 142k). But I'm wondering whether I'm wasting my money a little. It's certainly not the cheapest oil around and in the last 10 months I've only driven about 2k miles (driving it on average maybe 3 or 4 times a month). So I doubt it's getting much chance to degrade at all.

Next year would I be better off with a cheaper 10W40 oil? Does the slightly better grade oil actually make much difference with such a low annual mileage?

Oil related question.

VR6 that doesnt use any oil what so ever... Not that Im aware off.

Temp is about 104-108degress and the car doesnt tick that much.

Im using 5w40 Magnatec at the moment.

But should I maybe change to a 10w60 or is that to large of a gap?

Check this article out

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

It seems to suggest that thicker oil could be a factor in increasing oil temp, thinner oils have faster flow rate ( therefore more heat dissipation),

I did like the rule of 10PSI of oil pressure per 1000RPM,

getting ready to refit my pressure gauge to the new(ish) 24V