Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Chipping 2L 16v

That doesn't sound bad, I will e-mail them to find out more. I have been looking at the Neuspeed P chip, on there web site for Passat, its $99.95 and gives around 5 - 7 BHP at the wheels.

Let me know if you do chip it.

Anyone know what the best chip for a 1.8 16v Corrado would be ?

One from BurgerKing because you can't use EPROMs (programmable chips) on the KR engine I'm afraid :?

K star KS-301 is probably your best bet with some cams, but that's a grand's worth + fitting :cry:

K

BelfastFuManchu

I'm with Kev on this one -

K-Jetronic injection (fitted to 1.8-16v) is a mechanical injection system. It cannot be re-chipped as it is mechanically & not electronically controlled.

Substantial engine modifications would be required to see any worthwhile gain in power.

Phil

I doubt a 5-7 bhp gain would even be noticable. I would look at the torque curve offered by the new chip.

I'm sceptical about chipping.

Do they make that much difference ? especially as I have an unmodded 16V, except for the exhaust and I'm sure if that that has not given me extra power (although it does give a constant knocking noise that I can't fix)

I would pay £150-£200 for a reasonable gain. Prefer torque to hp.

I'm sceptical about chipping.

Do they make that much difference ? especially as I have an unmodded 16V, except for the exhaust and I'm sure if that that has not given me extra power (although it does give a constant knocking noise that I can't fix)

I would pay £150-£200 for a reasonable gain. Prefer torque to hp.

Depends if you have a 1.8 or 2.0. The 2.0 has electronic injection & can be chipped to give a bit more torque. As I explained above the 1.8 needs a lot of engine work for any noticable gains.

Torque and hp are linked in that hp is a measurement of torque at a specific rpm. Torque is the measurement to look for when considering any performance modifications.

Stevemac,

Mine is a 2L and chipable. What do you reckon is a bit more torque, another 10% or more ? I think my cars spec is about 130Nm torque

Depends really, different chips can be mapped to give you maximum torque lower down the rev range. In "everyday driving" the car would feel faster. BHP is a measurement of torque at approx 5700rpm - Henny is your man on this one, he knows the exact details but 5700 is close enough. Many manufacturers aim to have maximum torque as close to this rpm as possible to make their cars appear (on paper) to be more powerful. Moving the max torque lower down the rev range will make the car feel faster but could actually reduce the bhp as the remaining torque at 5700rpm will be less.

10% more torque would be noticable as would moving the existing torque slightly further down the rev range. 10% more torque a little lower in the rev range would be even better !!

you called?!? ;)

You're not quite right there with the BHP description Steve, close, but not quite... 8)

BHP = (torque x rpm) / 5750

Therefore at 5750rpm, Torque = BHP...

Manufacturers sometimes try and get the max torque as high up the rev range as possible, preferably OVER 5750 (Type R for example max torque at around 8K rpm! :| ) as you then get a much higher BHP reading for the same level of torque production...

IMHO, What people should really be comparing is their torque curves and peak torque level and it's location in the rev-range... :mrgreen:

It's that which shows a good engine from a wannabe. ;) 8)

As if by magic - Henny appears :lol:

Cheers m8 - I'm gonna have to remember that, or write it down (I can't even remember my own phone number :lol: )

I've been in touch with AMD today, elsewhere on the forum they seem to have a good reputation, they offer one for £250 + VAT which includes rolling road session before and after. They also say they program the chip to suit the particular car they are upgrading. Sounds more like it to me, obviously more costly though.

My current spec is 9A 2.0 16v with Magnex cat back exhaust and KR inlet cam. I have a standard air filter which I have considered upgrading, but from previous experience with GTIs this seems to have no effect. Also have drilled air box, although over the weekend I am going to block the drilled holes and compare it.

It would be great to hear from someone who has actually tried chipping a 16v.