Sign in to follow this  
arronwhit1

1.8 16v dead, convert into VR6?

My 16v is unrepairable so im going to completely strip it for use as a track day car. Has anyone converted a 1.8 16v into a VR6 who can advise me on what things are involved and what i need? Chears.

buy a complete mk3 golf vr6, so much easier than sourcing parts seperately.

then you can swap the axles for widetrack, have the bigger brakes, abs, nick the fuel tank, fuel pump etc.

if you read up on mk2 golf conversions it will give you pretty much all the info you need.

I will be changing everything in the engine anyway. Sports valves, pistons ect, so i realy only want the basic things to get started if you no what i mean? Wudnt see the point in buying a fully fuctional car to take parts of wen i will be changing most of the parts anyway. Not that bothered about the hassel of sourcing things seperately i can deal with that. Just want to know what basics i need? Engine, gearbox and loom? anything else i need just to get started?

yes, the reason for being told you need a good donor car is that if you want to properly recreate a VR with widetrack/5stud etc then you'll need all those suspension/subframe bits. if you're going to keep it narrow track and 4stud then you need custom driveshafts etc as the front layout is different between the two types.

Another suggestion - don't bother with the VR engine. For a track car I wouldn't use a corrado anyway (just my opinion), but if you really want to, get a 1.8t from somewhere.

You sure about that dukest? my mate ran 4stud narrow track on his mk2 vr6 without anything custom.

But i agree with whats been said about getting a donor car, although i am exactly the same as you and just buy bits but i usually regret it for cost/timescale purposes and general hassle.

If you buy an MOT failure mk3 VR6, it has all the bits you need including bigger brakes, suspension, gearbox and full loom and you know it runs, you can take your time removing the bits you need and not worry about some manic hacker ripping the loom apart!

Personally i wouldn't use 1.8t, they are absolutely flat as a pancake out of boost, if its for a track car i'd advise keeping KR or 9a and tuning that a bit, better power in the low down range unless its a long sweeping track where the VR6 will come top trumps. Just my opinion though!