Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

A6 no more, written off by drunk driver :-(

The family in the Renault Espace saw the whole thing and the husband stopped the car and asked if we were OK. He then confirmed that it definitely wasn't my fault and went to chase the other driver, who had reversed back into the pub car park and was heading back into the Pub. The witness stopped him despite threats by the person who hit me, the concern was he would go back into the pub and have another drink to try and affect the breathalyzer reading. The witness was a saint and I'm glad he stopped, I never even spoke to the person who hit me, I probably would've lumped him if I had.

The Landlord then came out, said he was upstairs when the accident happened and admitted he hadn't witnessed it, but then accused me speeding (!!!) The witness in the Espace immediately came to my defence and said "I saw the whole thing and there is no way he was speeding. I hope for your sake your customer isn't drunk as it'll be publicity you don't need."

Sorry to hear this mate but wanted to underline the importance of stopping if you see something like this happen! Without this guy stopping the :censored: could have been back in the pub with this ass$%^e landlord and his mates backing up some made up story about you speeding.

That sucks mate but at least you are ok.

Either way it sounds like you have a case against him and even her for letting him take the car.

My mate was hit by a drunk driver last year in his MK1 and was lucky to come away with minor injuries as the golf looked like a bannana and the floor pan was folded over itself :shock: They arrested the guy and he was 3 times over the limit he was released the next day and vanished for 2 weeks. He was in all the local papers descibed as a loving family man :confused4: who wouldnt hurt a soul :cuckoo: . The case is still ongoing :censored:

Just shows how the criminal has more rights than the victim :(

Right, well the Police are now going to question his wife on Thursday when the investigating officer gets back. But whatever answer she gives she's screwed :epicfail:

Unfortunately and as expected. I'm finding that to get anything near as good as I had i'm having to at cars in the £3000-£4000 range. I'm realistically not expecting any money for the A6 for at least another 3 months. So what this basically means is i'm going to have to use my £4000 of Corrado VR6 money to buy a new daily :shrug: This is unfortunate but considering i've been looking for two months and found nothing but dross its not too bad. Looking for a truly nice condition Corrado nowadays is like looking for a needle in a haystack.

My work kindly insured me in my Mums Polo for a few days until I can get more permanent wheels but they won't do it forever and I have days to find a car :(

Mate, just buy a £500 beater to get you buy until your ins pay out. There IS a Corrado out there with your name on it, it's just gonna take a while to find!

Indeed. I wouldn't keep one over the long term though. With so many multilink suspension parts to maintain, it can get real expensive real quick. ...

well possibly, but my dad's A6 avant (2000 plate) has 190K on it now and is still on the original shocks, nothing else has been replaced bar a cloudy polycarbonate headlight lense and a siezed rear wiper motor, it's been the best car he's ever had, he hoons it about too and I've driven it recently, might not have the best road feel in the world but the front double wishbone setup holds the road very well.

On-topic - doesn't bear thinking about what might have happened to a mum and kids in a little hatchback, with this sort of cretin allowed to drink in public still :censored:

Is it a quattro? We changed a front arm on neil's and I agree, it's all tank like under there. I just wouldn't fancy changing ALL of the arms and bushes!

Is it a quattro? We changed a front arm on neil's and I agree, it's all tank like under there. I just wouldn't fancy changing ALL of the arms and bushes!

nope, FWD 1.8T, which is probably why it still feels so good, engineered for V6 diesel but only running a 1.8T :shrug:

very impressed how well everything has stood up, none-the-less.

Mate - surely you're entitled to a hire car, this is what insurance is for!!

The problem is no one knows who's paying for what at the moment. I don't want any companies chasing me for hire charges at the end of it so i'm not even going down the hire car route in this case.

I think the important thing to remember is that it's important for me to have a solid daily as I do 1100 miles a month commuting, you never know what a Corrado might throw at you :D :lol: Besides, it's not as if I'm given up (despite how disheartening the search is becoming :( ) it just means the money for it will be tied up for a couple of months whilst I try and get back to the point I was last week. I could rush and buy a Corrado this weekend, but I know I would regret it.

Thing is, I have the opportunity to purchase one of these at a knockdown price from work; A4 1.8T 190PS S-line Limited Edition multitronic. The one with the quattro gmbh bodykit and suspension and interior goodies. Yes, it's boring and it's an auto. But it's as solid and reliable as my A6, is an Avant and will be a beautiful commuting car.

My Audi is in the bodyshop today for a new wing. Some b*****d ran into it just before new year. It was parked outside the house. We were asleep. It's not an insurance job though. I have £300 excess and would lose two years NCB. Then I would have to declare the claim on my other policies. Insurance companies seem to be loading premiums at any excuse. So I just have to cough up.

Andy

I hate Drink drivers.......They are spineless to$$ bags that deserve to never ever be able to drive again!

Gutted for you dude, Glad you had what sounds like a great eye witness........

I hope it all works out Ok in the end!!

BTW...buy this as a commuter.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

:clap:

nope, FWD 1.8T, which is probably why it still feels so good, engineered for V6 diesel but only running a 1.8T :shrug:

very impressed how well everything has stood up, none-the-less.

Do you find the 1.8T to be smoother in the Passat / A6 platform? I do. There wasn't really any vibration from the engine in Neil's at all, but in our 1.8T Polo it's rough as hell. Even with the soggiest engine mounts known to man.

I think I might look into some better mounts!

Yes, it's boring and it's an auto. But it's as solid and reliable as my A6, is an Avant and will be a beautiful commuting car.

No, that's exactly what it is mate. Don't try and justify it :D If it was a manual, fair enough, but an Auto 4 banger I guarantee you will get bored of VERY quickly!

If you're going for something like that, at least get the S4 flavour :D

I mean this in the best possible way, but you get through more cars than I do mods on my Corrado (some through accidents admittedly!) and every time you pop round, you say how much you miss your old Rado, so why buy dull cars like that for the sake of it when surely something cheap and a laugh like a MK2 GTI or Pug 205 GTI to tide you over for a while is worth considering? :D

Jesus, I must sound like your parents :lol:

Mate - surely you're entitled to a hire car, this is what insurance is for!!

The problem is no one knows who's paying for what at the moment. I don't want any companies chasing me for hire charges at the end of it so i'm not even going down the hire car route in this case.

But surely one ins co is paying anyway? If it's the other owners then who cares, if it's yours and you're losing your no claims anyway then you might as well get some decent benefit from that? In neither case would you actually be paying yourself if you're fully comp would you?

They offered me a courtesy car today and loads of promises I wouldn't loose my no claims, only to phone an hour later and say, "Sorry, as we cannot currently guarantee a payment from the third party, we can't give you a car!"

Just read the thread and really sorry to read what has happened I hope you manage to sort it out and not be out of pocket good luck

Sorry to hear this. Hope your mum and yourself are both ok. First of all thank god that there are people still about in this country that will stop and offer help to those who need it. That guy was a saint. Then the other side of society what a :censored: This scumbag needs a bullet through his head not jail or a slap on the wrist (which will happen) under this present government policy of closing jails. Good luck with your claim. Hope you get justice

Yes, it's boring and it's an auto. But it's as solid and reliable as my A6, is an Avant and will be a beautiful commuting car.

I mean this in the best possible way, but you get through more cars than I do mods on my Corrado (some through accidents admittedly!) and every time you pop round, you say how much you miss your old Rado, so why buy dull cars like that for the sake of it when surely something cheap and a laugh like a MK2 GTI or Pug 205 GTI to tide you over for a while is worth considering? :D

You've made me want to compile a list of my cars now :lol:

In order of purchase;

2002 Polo 1.2 S (9n)

1991 Polo GT

2003 Polo 1.4 Sport FSi (9n)

2005 SEAT Ibiza Cupra 1.9TDi

2006 Audi A4 2.0TDi S-line

1982 Audi Coupe GT

2007 Audi A3 2.0TDi S-line

2008 VW Golf R32 (owned for 2 years 6 months, longest i've owned a car)

1995 Corrado VR6

2001 Audi A6 1.8T quattro

10 cars in 8 years :|

You're right though, I always moan that these cars don't put a smile on my face like a Corrado. I really do need to find a daily though, I feel guilty putting miles on a Corrado during winter.

just had a look through this what a nighmare for you.

Have the Police asked for a Victim Personal Statement (VPS) from you?, if the haven't ask to do one or add to one you have already done! , really lay it on about the amount of emotional distress and trauma this has caused you and your Mum, the amount of financial cost to you (need car for work etc) and the amount of inconvenience.

I am guessing his wife will say that he took the vehicle without her consent, it is the only way she can claim off HER insurance and avoid being prosecuted herself.

The VPS should be read in Court to the magistrates/judge and should be used to aid sentencing, it is your chance to have your say about the scroat that did this to you.

Good luck

Rich.

I really do hope this moves swiftly for you. At the end of the day, if the vehicle is insured, you can claim from someone at least.

I've been waiting over a year for my claim to be settled, only just going to court now, but mine was caused by some pillock running a red light while on his phone. Because there were no witnesses the police said there was no reason to investigate...

I was hit from behind by a unisured, untaxed, unmot'd, unlicensed driver about 8 years ago (not in my corrado). The force shunted me into car in front and wrote that off. My insurance company chased the driver personally for the repair costs. Didn't even need to pay an excess. Go to docs tomorrow about any neck pain and seek legal advice on personal injuries. I didn't and have had trouble ever since. I wish I had of. Not to get undue compensation but to get enough to pay a chiropractor to put it right.

Well, as has been happening all week i'm getting one bit of information at a time through the Police/Insurance and local grapevine.

It since turns out that;

- He was banned for drink driving in 2010

- He was then caught driving with no license and insurance in a Ford Granada late last year, usual extended ban.

- Then last week he hits my car. No license, insurance and 3x over the drink drive limit.

Police seem to think depending on how nice the Judge is he could get two years :cheers: So at least i'll have a little justice.