WigsVR6

Xenons are they worth the upgrade?

My offside main headlight bulb failed last night. Thought now might be a good time to try the Xenon route. Are they any good and which ones are the best to go for?

Thanks Alan

Had aftermarket Xenons on four cars now and always thought them a good upgrade. All the units I have upgraded though were lights with projector lamps rather than the C's standard lights. I have heard (though not seen for myself) that there may be issues with the light output being channeled through the Corrado's etched headlight lenses

I have heard (though not seen for myself) that there may be issues with the light output being channeled through the Corrado's etched headlight lenses

Although changing a lightbulb is straight forward (even for me) it seems there could be issues regarding the above. I take it this would be classed as ileagle by the police? Thanks for the reply Andy I think i'll wait for other views before I commit to these.

Alan

HID's are a fantastic upgrade and the light output is second only to natural daylight! Much lower demand upon charging system and significantly extended lifetime. I have fitted these to all of my own cars and a large number of my customers cars in conjunction with projector type headlights. A point to note however is that it is illegal now to fit HID lighting to conventional non projector lens lights. Another issue is to have your beam alignment checked and adjusted post fitting, to ensure you do not dazzle other road users.

I would have thought the only HID kits that are road legal come with appropriate lenses built-in. It'll fail the MOT otherwise..!

Though the original poster was asking about Xenon lamps, which are generally just the standard 12v filament bulbs using Xenon gas so they can burn hotter and therefore brighter, without burning out. These are completely road legal, and in my experience the rule is simple: stick to the brand names (Philips, Osram) and get the brightest ones you can afford. They are noticeably brighter than the old ones.

Given how frequently headlamp bulbs blow (not that often), and how expensive even standard ones are, I wouldn't say "it's worthwhile" to buy xenon ones, I'd say "why the hell haven't you already got some?"!! :)

^^ Well that answears that then :D Thanks Dr Mat thats about the best recommendation anyone could wish for. I'm buying some some of these ASAP. :thumbleft:

Alan

I highly rate them, can see to drive in the dark now !! :lol:

Mine though were somwehat more expensive than that :(

Just a reminder about Halfords Extreme Brilliance. They're still Buy one get one free. All 4 bulbs for 40 notes. They are whiter and brighter than the 100W Phillips Rally bulbs they replaced!

The xenons turned up today they are H4 Philips blue vision ultra and I also get the sidelights thrown in for free not bad. Can't wait to get these in and try em out.

New bulbs are in only took 45 mins to change both bulbs thats not bad for me! Only downer is the side light bulbs have a different fitting. Just waiting for darkness to fall so I can give em a test.

I'll answer my own question to this! Had the xenons in for a few days now and they are fantastic well worth the money can see were I'm going now. Anyone else considering this option I can highly recommend them.

Cheers for all your thoughts Alan