Sign in to follow this  
Pat_McCrotch

Fingerprint Immobiliser

It is quite cool, but expensive for what it is. I prefer to use the tried and true method:

31983-one_quot_club_quot_anti_theft_gizmos.jpg

With a club on your car a potential thief will often not even bother.

It is quite cool, but expensive for what it is. I prefer to use the tried and true method:

Tried yes but trusted, hmmm I think not. A car thief will just saw through the steering wheel, bend it open and have that off in seconds.

The only good wheel locks are the ones that encase the whole wheel like this one:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... hCmdMobile

Not cheap at £80 but a much more likely to put off a theif. I've got a decent alarm on my C but still use one of these for the added visual deterrent.

well on the bottom of the ebay add it says uk manurfactured. Find out who manurfactures it and you may be able to get one direct. Or you may be able to get a group buy going. I do like the idea but at what cost?

No more than what already goes wrong with immobilisers :lol: To be fair it actually looks like a very simple system and will never date like an alarm.

Youtube video from another company.

http://www.absolutecarsecurity.com/Prod ... oductID=72

:lol: :lol: off topic a bit but this made me laugh - great example of how mad the internet has got - do we really need a you tube clip of how it works...... isnt it fairly obvious .......I ended up watching as it made me wonder what else was going to happen :D !!

Not taking the Micheal out of you mate just the website.

TBH it seems like a good idea..... I have a clifford on my car with blackjax which is pretty dam good tbh remote start and a two button key code to enter or the car dies 1/8th of a mile siren goes lights flash and well if your near it you look suspicous or like a tit......

i used to develop and supply biometric access systems. We designed & built them here in the UK. Very nice cost about £350 for a full system, which gave 950 users, access logs, time & attendance etc, so i'm sure it could be adapted for cars, without all the extra stuff.

Tried yes but trusted, hmmm I think not. A car thief will just saw through the steering wheel, bend it open and have that off in seconds.

The only good wheel locks are the ones that encase the whole wheel like this one:

Not cheap at £80 but a much more likely to put off a theif. I've got a decent alarm on my C but still use one of these for the added visual deterrent.[/quote:3r0cfgsv]

Difference is, with an immobilizer the thief will fuck up your car before realizing they can't start it. Usually with a bar the thief will not even bother, they will see the bar through the window and walk away- it is too much of a hassle.

Not cheap at £80 but a much more likely to put off a theif. I've got a decent alarm on my C but still use one of these for the added visual deterrent.[/quote:1rlskrg6]

Difference is, with an immobilizer the thief will **** up your car before realizing they can't start it. Usually with a bar the thief will not even bother, they will see the bar through the window and walk away- it is too much of a hassle.[/quote:1rlskrg6]

Agreed, a visual deterrent is definately a good idea and that's why I use the Disklok even though I have a clifford alram with a proximity sensor and an audiable warning when someone just stands close to the car.

The point I was making is that a bar is not much of a deterrent becasue they can be removed in seconds whereas if you want to get a Disklok off it's gonna take some time.

A bar is a waste of money because most petty car thieves know that to remove a bar all they have to do is saw through the steering wheel which takes no time at all.

Are discllocks a PITA to fit? Heavy? Damage the steering wheel?

No, they are real easy to fit in a matter of seconds. Mine hasn't caused any damage to the wheel and I've been using it for the last 4 years.

I have heard some reports of them leaving marks on the wheel but I'm not sure if the design was changed at any point. In any case, a bit of stratigically placed single sided foam on the inside of it would cure any problems of that nature.

As it encases the whole wheel a wouldbe theif is gonna have to do a lot of work to get it off.

Ive got the disc lock that collapses in on itself when removed so takes up less room, i find the full disc locks are a pain for storage