huggy

Another how much does a re spray cost

Hey I know this question has been asked before but the posts ive looked at are v old.

No then my c has a few door dinks i want the strips removed a couple of dents reomved one about the size of a 50p peice on the roof and a couple on the skirt where jack in wrong position in past by some plonker (presume this will be a b#### to fix) and a full exterior re spray same colour factory finish. a big ask?

Also if any one can recomend places in and around hertfordshire that would be appreciated.......

You want to be budgeting £2750+ (although I would pay more) if you help prep it (strip mouldings and interior pieces etc) and get a job worth showing off and keeping the car rust free.

Don't be tempted by people offering £2750 or less. They'll ruin the car and it'll just make things worse.

To do it properly front glass, side windows, window rubbers removed and replaced, rear hatch removed and window out. Would also recommend the underseal on the sills be replaced, you'll no doubt find some rust lurking there too.

as above, it depends how much you want painted? if you dont want the engine bay painted then you dont need to take anything out of the engine bay. if you dont want the insides of the door frames painted or if you dont want to take out any of the glass then you dont need to take any trim or interior off.

but then Mr McCrotch's advice above is for a proper job. a million people will tell you that their mate can do it for a grand in their fag breaks over 6 months, or an average place out in the middle of nowhere will do a blow over for £1200-1700, but it depends what you're after and where you're prepared to travel to and whether reputation is important.

with these questions it seems to me you either need to have a budget in mind beforehand so you can fit the work you can afford to that budget, or you need an idea of how much work you want done and then to find who can do that work for the best price. to show you the other extreme, G60SC_Stoney with his car for sale on here at the moment paid well over £5k for his paint job because he knew he wanted the absolute best.

You want to be budgeting £2750+ (although I would pay more) if you help prep it (strip mouldings and interior pieces etc) and get a job worth showing off and keeping the car rust free.

Don't be tempted by people offering £2750 or less. They'll ruin the car and it'll just make things worse.

not necessarily there are people out there who will do it for less , im not saying they all would do a top job . i had mine done for £2.400 , that was for readys though , and they did some of it in there own time . you only have to look at my build thread to see the extent they went to . this included to new pillars from vw .the emails and pics i was sent with constant updates were fantastic . some of mine went back to bare metal because of bad blown ins before the car was bought by me . i think if you shop around and find a good recomendation , then go and see them in person you stand a chance of getting a good deal .everyone who has seen my vr [4 members on here] have checked my car all over and said they cant fault it ,they even did the arches in the underseal paint .

not necessarily there are people out there who will do it for less , im not saying they all would do a top job . i had mine done for £2.400 , that was for readys though , and they did some of it in there own time.

to be fair, that means that if it went though the books and they'd done it all on the company's time then it would easily have been over £2750 wouldnt it?! ;)

2750 is a bit specific lol. Depends on the extent of the respray though and the condition of your car as stated above.

The price for a good job should be 2-3k depending on where you go but if you want showcar type work done (smooth everything) and a top bodyshop you can get to £10k if you really want lol.

I personally wouldn't bother respraying the car at all if its a daily, it'll only get ruined again, instead blow over the bits that need doing and avoid going glass out etc and save a couple of grand.

All I can suggest is to make sure that you remove the window/glass and rubber seals if you want a good job done. There really is no way of getting a decent prep job without removing the windscreen, quarters and hatch glass . Lots of people will use this little triangular shaped plastic strip which lifts up the rubber seal, but as far as I am concerned this is just short cut and really doesn't give a good finish. Plus when you remove the windscreen you will see if there is any rusting underneath where water normally accumulates in the lip.

When I had my car resprayed I opted to get the glass all taken out. Front windscreen went out and was replaced at the same time (it had a few chips in it). I paid to remove (cut) the quarter glass which was then reinstalled/bonded back in once the respray was completed (think I paid £100 for removal/refit of both quarters). New quarter glass are.... wait for it ... £250 each! :cuckoo:

I would be surprised if you had any change out of £2500 for a really good respray.

Good luck!

not necessarily there are people out there who will do it for less , im not saying they all would do a top job . i had mine done for £2.400 , that was for readys though , and they did some of it in there own time.

to be fair, that means that if it went though the books and they'd done it all on the company's time then it would easily have been over £2750 wouldnt it?! ;)

agreed somthing like that , what i was getting across was try to get it done for reddys avoid the vat man ,to get the cost down to an affordable level .must add this included all window an windscreen removal .

Pretty much agree with the above, i do bodywork for a living and for a proper respray, between 2-3K is about right tho more towards 3 than 2! With bodyshops u pretty much get what u paid for, but not always tho, there are some real cowboys that will charge an arm n a leg for a quick filler repair, quick key up n a wet on wet blow over, so u need to pick the right shop, check out their previous work, if u can try to see some of their work thats at least 6 months old as most jobs look good when they're shiney n new but can looks crap in a couple of months, filler can sink n show the repair, poor prep can cause the paint to start peelin, etc whereas a good job will stand the test of time,

I was quoted £1200 for a blow over, I'd seriously gage it on that, I know people are better than others but don't have your pants pulled down!

im a strong believer in you get what you pay for... espiecially with paint work. its all about decent prep work to end up with a gd finish...

ive got reciepts for paintwork totalling over £4k on my first valver and although it was a very good finsh it didnt stand the test of time too well and i wouldnt recommend anyone to have paint/bodywork where it was done... for the money that was spent on the paintwork it could of gone to several other places with the finish being noticeably better and probably with change.

out of interest who are you thinking of getting to paint it?

I personally wouldn't bother respraying the car at all if its a daily, it'll only get ruined again, instead blow over the bits that need doing and avoid going glass out etc and save a couple of grand.

Yep, totally agreed.

If you were to fully strip the car down for new paint, I'm not even sure you can replace all of the exterior rubbers & plastics? Pat McCrotch said the tailgate glass trim is obsolete. How long before the window scrapers and door frame rubbers etc are all obsoleted too?

Corrado ownership is stressful and expensive enough as it is, what with many stories of vandalism and thefts on here, and to have mint paintwork to worry about on top of that? No ta. Immaculate cars are like red rags to a bull to the

local scum. They'll take great delight in keying it. £3K+ down the drain.

Nah, what we should do is matt black the car instead. If it gets chipped or scratched, no problem, just blast a can on top and it'll blend in perfectly :D Matt and satin paints seem to be trendy these days too.

It boils down to wants, needs and reality. Sure, I've spent 1000s on the performance side of my car, but at least I get to enjoy it every day and no one can see it. You can't see your new paint job from the driver's seat ;)

Show cars are obviously a different matter, paint is everything, but daily cars I just think the money is better spent elsewhere personally, like a thorough inspection for rust to see if it's even worth repainting in the first place! Then patch it up and go out get the good stuff, like coilies and more grunt :D

I would much rather have an old car where people think "Yeah it's a great example for it's age" than "When was that resprayed then?".

I was always shocked how much you are charged for respray in UK and usually I could do this job better with spray can :) I'm serious about it. Already had few parts resprayed by spray can, like wings or rear bumper and I will be doing it once again to my current rado to show you that I'm not joking.

Just to give you some idea about respray costs in Poland. VW takes about 6k polish zlotych for full respray in professional spray room what gives you around 1,5k pounds and trust me car looks like new, you can compare this job to brand new mk6 in their show room and you will not find any difference. That include paint and all necessary things.

Just to give you some idea I will show you 2 pictures. That was my Corrado back in Poland. It had full respray from blue to gold pearl and job was drive in, drive out. Car was fully striped by them and assembled by them. It wasn't vw jobe, one of local respray garage.

1111171.jpg

1111191.jpg

Best thong is, this job cost me 400 pounds including 150 pounds for paint

So..... Tel me why are you charge 3K + for same job over here.

Yep, totally agreed.

If you were to fully strip the car down for new paint, I'm not even sure you can replace all of the exterior rubbers & plastics? Pat McCrotch said the tailgate glass trim is obsolete. How long before the window scrapers and door frame rubbers etc are all obsoleted too?

Corrado ownership is stressful and expensive enough as it is, what with many stories of vandalism and thefts on here, and to have mint paintwork to worry about on top of that? No ta. Immaculate cars are like red rags to a bull to the

local scum. They'll take great delight in keying it. £3K+ down the drain.

Nah, what we should do is matt black the car instead. If it gets chipped or scratched, no problem, just blast a can on top and it'll blend in perfectly :D Matt and satin paints seem to be trendy these days too.

It boils down to wants, needs and reality. Sure, I've spent 1000s on the performance side of my car, but at least I get to enjoy it every day and no one can see it. You can't see your new paint job from the driver's seat ;)

Show cars are obviously a different matter, paint is everything, but daily cars I just think the money is better spent elsewhere personally, like a thorough inspection for rust to see if it's even worth repainting in the first place! Then patch it up and go out get the good stuff, like coilies and more grunt :D

I would much rather have an old car where people think "Yeah it's a great example for it's age" than "When was that resprayed then?".

100% with you on that one mate.

Is there a guide anywhere on here to fixing small patches of rust yourself? I noticed a few tiny rust patches when I cleaned my car on Sunday. I have a touch up pen and lacquer from VW, but not sure what to do with it tbh!

Is it even worth it when it's still so cold and wet out?

Is there a guide anywhere on here to fixing small patches of rust yourself? I noticed a few tiny rust patches when I cleaned my car on Sunday. I have a touch up pen and lacquer from VW, but not sure what to do with it tbh!

Is it even worth it when it's still so cold and wet out?

I don't think there are any detailed DIY guides on here for paint / rust repair but it's very much a getting stuck in and having a go thing.

I always say to people who are scared to touch a rust bubble, "What's worse, a botched paint repair but the metal is sealed and protected, or a hole through the panel?".

At the end of the day, the finished appearance is down to preperation and the quality of the materials used. Take your time and as emu says, you can achieve good results with rattle cans.

At the end of another day, a less than perfect paint patch that's only really noticable close up is waaaaaaaaay better than a gaping hole!

Mine gets an annual patch up and waxoyl treatment. If I didn't do that, I am pretty confident it would be a rust bucket by now after 8 salty winters.

Yeah, it's better to have dry steel when repairing it, but you can soon achieve that with a heat gun, so summer repairs aren't essential.

Is there a guide anywhere on here to fixing small patches of rust yourself? ...

I don't think there are any detailed DIY guides on here for paint / rust repair but it's very much a getting stuck in and having a go thing.

there's been a few threads touching on this, a few things I've tried include:

warming the panel to get moisture out of the metal (as kev says)

get all of the rust out if possible use a rust treatment too for good measure

use an acid etch primer to bond to the bare metal

build up thin layers of thinned down primer and then top coat paint with a small airbrush (£10 kit will do the job) you can get a much better finish and spray much more controlled with one of these and you can run them off a tyre for air pressure.

fine wet and dry and some cutting with T-cut will bring up a very good finish to the top coat and help you blend it in (airbrush saves a lot of time and effort here)

...Best thong is, ....

:scratch:

You pedant :lol:

that one made me chuckle,

you laugh, but on more than a few occasions I've changed spelling in other's posts that annoy me :lol:

some are beyond salvation though (Mr Sunderland) :lol:

paint with a small airbrush (£10 kit will do the job) you can get a much better finish and spray much more controlled with one of these and you can run them off a tyre for air pressure.

That's a good tip! I guess you would need the paints in liquid form, i.e. not in a rattle can? Then pop some in your airbrush thingy and paint away? Nice :D

Will look into that for this season's derusting / painting.

Trouble is, VW no longer even list my paint code and the recipe paint suppliers have for it, is wrong. So a full respray in the 'wrong' colour or a reshell are my only options for a permanent fix :( Feckin VW. Feckin Gay colour. Why didn't I just get an Aqua blue or something! :lol:

that one made me chuckle,

you laugh, but on more than a few occasions I've changed spelling in other's posts that annoy me :lol:

some are beyond salvation though (Mr Sunderland) :lol:

I was VERY close to linking to a picture of a thong, but as I'm at work, I thought better of it :lol:

there's been a few threads touching on this, a few things I've tried include:

warming the panel to get moisture out of the metal (as kev says)

get all of the rust out if possible use a rust treatment too for good measure

use an acid etch primer to bond to the bare metal

build up thin layers of thinned down primer and then top coat paint with a small airbrush (£10 kit will do the job) you can get a much better finish and spray much more controlled with one of these and you can run them off a tyre for air pressure.

fine wet and dry and some cutting with T-cut will bring up a very good finish to the top coat and help you blend it in (airbrush saves a lot of time and effort here)

That's a good shout David, cheers!

I have an airbrush and some compressed gas left over from when I did my seats. I've got a nice patch that's under the bootlid that I could give it a whirl on.

Is Kurust ok? I used that when I refurbed my drivetrain parts in the summer so have a fair bit left over. I'll have a look at etch primers and primers. 'Ciitng!

I guess the other option is go for a driving holiday to Poland lol.