hombre_paulo

1.8t Converted Corrado's

With the escalating price of fuel it is getting more and more tempting to sell on the VR6 for something a bit more economical. The trouble is that like all of us I love my raddo and being without it/one is a sad thought.

My current thoughts are to sell on my Vr now and look for a different corrado which has been converted to a 1.8t as I understand that the power can be the same, engine dependant, and also the engine itself is slightly lighter.

My questions are, are there that many 1.8t corrados around? Would picking one up be highly unlikely? Or is it worth picking up a 1.8t engine and a corrado with a knackered block and do the conversion myself?

What kinda of mpg do the 1.8t's give, urban and motorway?

Mpg depends a lot on your gearbox choice ! I get mid 40s on the motorway,and running around town 32-40 .If I take it easy I can get over 500 miles a tank !

I have a two stage tune on mine,225 and 270bhp,

Sorry mine's not for sale ! Ever

Those kind of mpg figures (and power) make the 1.8t very appealing. Sure I cant tempt you to sell?

Did you do the conversion yourself? What gearbox are you running?

My suggestion is just to resist the temptation. Sure fuel prices are high, but if you're using a VR6 to do big daily driver mileages then you've been bonkers for years.

Put another way, people are complaining about the price of fuel, but many of those same people don't seem to worry in the same about the cost of an iPhone 4GS contract or a Sky TV package. Also, despite what's written above if you drive the 1.8t hard you'll be straight back to mid-teen mpgs all over again.

Personally I think the VR6 is worth keeping as it is. If you sell it, then there's a good chance you'll weep when you see mine still driving around in Bournemouth with it's luscious engine notes (it's the grey one with black wheels)

John

why can't I post GRR!

Edit: that was the 3rd post i tried to put up.... anyhoooo. There is a limited 1.8t C for sale already and it's going very cheep.

Look in the for sale section if your interested.

As for the mileage issue, you'll find the 1.8v are great compared to other C's but against other modern cars they're still not that good, and like Corozin says, heavy feet wont help with a turbo on... I'd be tempted to get a second Car :)

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

Mpg depends a lot on your gearbox choice ! I get mid 40s on the motorway,and running around town 32-40 .If I take it easy I can get over 500 miles a tank !

I have a two stage tune on mine,225 and 270bhp,

Sorry mine's not for sale ! Ever

Jesus, our standard Polo 1.8T returns nothing like those mpgs! It's all clear in VCDS. I might try the N249 bypass on it as I've read that can cause all manner of boosting issues, which will impact the mpg.

Also, despite what's written above if you drive the 1.8t hard you'll be straight back to mid-teen mpgs all over again.

Yep, as above. A 1.8T in boost is just as thirsty, no, a lot more so, than a VR6. That's why VW binned it and went TFSI.

Must say, I've had a few friends with 1.8T Mk4's, and the fuel consumption is pretty dire on them, unless you drive like a granny. Also, compared to a V6, it's a pretty soulless engine (especially in standard form).

If you really want a cheaper to run Corrado, then 1.9TDi or LPG is the way - 1.8T is not going to be the answer to your dream I doubt tbh. Let's say you average 30mpg with the VR and 35mpg with a 1.8T - How much will you save over say, a year?

To be honest most of the time i drive like a granny anyway but in the VR it seems to make little difference to mpg.

Trouble with the lpg route is the return on investment would probably be around 2 years for the mileage I do and I wouldnt have a clue where to begin with a tdi conversion and without wanting to offend a diesel corrado is just plain wrong

True, you need to do high miles. But if you don't it makes the 1.8T even less rewrding financially surely?

I know I've had similar thoughts, but realised then unless I went to diesel, changing to something that was not significantly more econical and I wasn't as happy with was not worth the £200 saving a year. I would recommend doing your financials and work out if the cost/hassle to change is worth the yearly saving.

I'd imagine any 1.8T Corrado's will cost you a good £1000 plus minimum to change into - that'll be 2 years savings already gone, more if you're low mileage.

Also, it's amazing just how thirsty the Rado is when not warmed up - mines is warm most of the weekend, but on short journeys, it simply guzzles. Reset your MAF after 5mins and notice how much more economical the Rado seems to be!

Whatever you do tho, just stick the with Rado :)

Edited by jamiehamy

In defence of my mpg figures,at 80mph it's only revving just under three grand ! So motorway mpg is always going to be good. In normal driving I rarely take it over four grand,And no I haven't got miss Daisy in the back !

My 1.8T has serious drinky issues.......on boost it's into the high teens, think the most i've seen is just shy of 400miles to a tank, least has been roughly 200 ish.....

The VR sounds soo much better than a 1.8T mine just sounds like a jet lol

A tuned 1.8t will be no better on fuel than a vr. As kev always says, 250bhp requires 250bhp worth of fuel. My 1.8t is rubbish on fuel. It's quick and definiatly not soulless, but expensive!

Getting a 1.8t from a broken Mk4 will require a fair ammount of cash. Some people say that going for qpeng management and downpipe from the turbo they recommend/supply for is the easiest option... this costs near a grand if I remember correctly. Then theres the cost of a turbo and exhaust manifold, all the boost pipe work, an intercooler, dump valve (if some of those aren't supplied with the engine).

I'm currently in the process of converting my G60 into a 1.8t using a G60 block and a TD-04 turbo from a Subaru Imprezza. So far just parts alone I've spent £300-400 (including buying the G60 block) on various bits and bats. Then at the end of it I have to get a custom map done for about 400 quid...

Like others have pointed out the cost of converting just cancels out the saving. If I were you I'd just keep the VR and maybe get a bike if its reasonable. I've decided I'm driving less and refurbishing an old mountain bike I had to ride to work.

I am, but running a agu engine.

The box I'm running is a EGR code from a low spec tdi golf/bora. From a non pd engine iirc. Gives good ratios plus you then run the mk4 linkage and shifter which is miles better that the original or a mk3 setup. Gives a much more precise a new tight feeling to the gear changes. Well worth the little bit of work fitting the selector and modding the mounts 👍

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I am, but running a agu engine.

The box I'm running is a EGR code from a low spec tdi golf/bora. From a non pd engine iirc. Gives good ratios plus you then run the mk4 linkage and shifter which is miles better that the original or a mk3 setup. Gives a much more precise a new tight feeling to the gear changes. Well worth the little bit of work fitting the selector and modding the mounts

Sounds great what kind of power are you running?

So guessing the box is from a 90bhp model is that a six speed? Sounds great.

Which mounts did you mod

Which mounts did you mod

The conversion I did was about as cheap.as it gets for a 1.8t. I had alot of parts in stock from cars I've broken over the years so just decided to out them all to use in the rado.

But essentially I got a 1.8t agu auto a3 for £70, had a gearbox from a bora that I broke which was a 90hp agr engine code, just happened to have the egr code gearbox I wanted.

I use the original loom the the agu as it's very basic, and where the standard agu loom clips into the mk4 cars, I removed the plugs and fitted Superseal connector z to join them neatly into my old corrado loom. The 2 wiring looms match up really nicely.

Power wise I'm running about 200 bit I onky have the standard turbo. The map is set for a k03s turbo which should give 220-230 but I just haven't got round to this yet. Plus I've now picked up a Eaton supercharger in the hope.to twin charge it lol

The box is a 5 speed, don't bother with a 6 speeds they are no better for ratios in the final gears, they will just have really short ratios and you will forever be changing gear. Even in there standard cars like leon cupras and golfs, some people change back to 5 speeds when they go for larger power just so they can actually spend some time in 1st nd 2nd lol

Oh and I used the standard 8v engine mount I had on the engine, front crossmember mount is standard but had alot of movement so need to upgrade to a solid of vibra mount so.it had less rocking, and the gearbox mount is standard too off the original corrado 02a gearbox. That's the beauty of running a 5 speed it all just bolts up. Driveshafts etc.

Which mounts did you mod

The conversion I did was about as cheap.as it gets for a 1.8t. I had alot of parts in stock from cars I've broken over the years so just decided to out them all to use in the rado.

But essentially I got a 1.8t agu auto a3 for £70, had a gearbox from a bora that I broke which was a 90hp agr engine code, just happened to have the egr code gearbox I wanted.

I use the original loom the the agu as it's very basic, and where the standard agu loom clips into the mk4 cars, I removed the plugs and fitted Superseal connector z to join them neatly into my old corrado loom. The 2 wiring looms match up really nicely.

Power wise I'm running about 200 bit I onky have the standard turbo. The map is set for a k03s turbo which should give 220-230 but I just haven't got round to this yet. Plus I've now picked up a Eaton supercharger in the hope.to twin charge it lol

The box is a 5 speed, don't bother with a 6 speeds they are no better for ratios in the final gears, they will just have really short ratios and you will forever be changing gear. Even in there standard cars like leon cupras and golfs, some people change back to 5 speeds when they go for larger power just so they can actually spend some time in 1st nd 2nd lol

So what engine and year was you running before?

I guess having a 200hp turbo setup in something that's fairly light is decent. Appreciate the advice on the gearbox situation my idea was for cruising on motorways etc however 5 speed would be perfect for 0-60 I'm guessing? I do get youre point tho staying in 1st and 2nd longer lmao

You've collected a charger haha now way haha:dance:

As Ill be going from a VR need to know if itll straight swap, id end up getting the same gearbox as you anyhow. I do like the the whole idea of it all fitting up with the driveshafts and that no modding. What about the rear engine mount?

So what engine and year was you running before?

I guess having a 200hp turbo setup in something that's fairly light is decent. Appreciate the advice on the gearbox situation my idea was for cruising on motorways etc however 5 speed would be perfect for 0-60 I'm guessing? I do get youre point tho staying in 1st and 2nd longer lmao

You've collected a charger haha now way haha:dance:

As Ill be going from a VR need to know if itll straight swap, id end up getting the same gearbox as you anyhow. I do like the the whole idea of it all fitting up with the driveshafts and that no modding. What about the rear engine mount?

Yeah tbh even with only 200 bhp it drives great, personally I don't think there is a better suited engine to this chassis that a 1.8t (maybe a early 2.0tfsi but they are £££'s)

They are lightweight and despite people saying the same power will give you the same fuel economy.. It won't. A car weighing 1100kg with 200bhp on slightly more modern management, and a turbo, will return better than a car weighing 1300kg with the same power and a n/a engine.

Why do you think the likes of audi/merc and going with smaller displacement charged engines.. They are just more efficient. OK they will guzzle like any other when driven hard but even if you drive you car hard 50% of the time, the other 50% will be better on fuel than a larger vr6 for instance.

My car was a standard 2.0 8v before. And a 94 year so quite late.

Rear engine mount was a standard 8v one I think.. I will try find a link to my build thread on my other club.

Yeah tbh even with only 200 bhp it drives great, personally I don't think there is a better suited engine to this chassis that a 1.8t (maybe a early 2.0tfsi but they are £££'s)

They are lightweight and despite people saying the same power will give you the same fuel economy.. It won't. A car weighing 1100kg with 200bhp on slightly more modern management, and a turbo, will return better than a car weighing 1300kg with the same power and a n/a engine.

Why do you think the likes of audi/merc and going with smaller displacement charged engines.. They are just more efficient. OK they will guzzle like any other when driven hard but even if you drive you car hard 50% of the time, the other 50% will be better on fuel than a larger vr6 for instance.

My car was a standard 2.0 8v before. And a 94 year so quite late.

Rear engine mount was a standard 8v one I think.. I will try find a link to my build thread on my other club.

Yeah I'll definitely agree with you on that one best engine to mod and efficient. Yeah fuelling is everything, is it you're daily?

Ahhh not bad not bad. Think I'll be running a VR before I do the swap so goning to need to find the 8v mount.

I did try that link but I had to register I'll have another go