hyland770

1.8 16v alternator / power steering belt replacement

Right im doing a bit of valver maintenance at the moment but have got stuck...

Im trying to replace the alternator belt and whilst im there power steering belt too. I got the alternator belt loose enought to slip it off but the power steering belt/pulleys are in the way so i cant get it all the way off!

How do you loosen the power steering pump to get the belt off? I almost started trying to undo the pulleys on the power steering belt system but then though no, il ask on here hahah

Ive tried searching but i really need an "idiots" guide to getting these two belts off, once iv figured out the power steering belt i can do the alternator easy but i just cant figure out how to loosen off the power steering belt in order to slip it off and then get the new alternator belt and power steering belt on!

nope when through about 14 pages in the search function and couldnt find it, from what i have read there are 4 bolts that hold on the power steering unit where the pulleys are attached and i have to loosen these off which will give enough slack for the belts to come off, also best done with the front wheel off am i about right!?

yup you're right, 1 or 2 of the bolts holding the PAS pump on are quite fiddly and may not be obvious to see - good luck!

and i just have to loosen them off and that will give me enough to get the belts off, that plus the alternator should be about an hours work then....right!? hahah

the PAS belt is easy. Look at the bracket the PAS pump sits on. There should be a screw you use to adjust the belt tightness. Just undo this all the way and take the PAS belt off, and then the alternator one.

Tada!

yup you're right, 1 or 2 of the bolts holding the PAS pump on are quite fiddly and may not be obvious to see - good luck!

Neither of you are right. You don't need to take the wheel off to do a belt ffs!!

Buy yourself the Mk2 Golf Haynes manual....all the running gear is the same and it will show you how to do belts and other simple tasks :D

:lol:

Just realised the guy just wants to change the belt and not the pump itself :nuts:

i'll take another peak tommorrow, cheers for the advice, i couldnt see the pas belt tensioner today (probs because i wasnt actaully looking for it hahah) im sure il figure it out one way or another in the daylight tommorrow!

it's pointing down towards the front of the car, at the front side of the engine. If you scour my old dusty thread, you might find some useful pics.

gave it a go and although probably not the best way to do it i managed it, pretty much loosened off every nut and bolt around the PAS pump to get enough slack to get the PAS belt off!!! replaced it and now the anoying whirring noise that came from the engine has gone so im guessing that old belt was the cause! looked at the alternator belt whilst i was there and it didnt need replacing so just tightened it up a bit so all in all a success.

BUT....

I think i may have the PAS belt too tight as when i turn the wheel stationairy it whines a bit??

However the steering feels much better now which is also good!

Thanks for the advice and help that made it possible hahah

Not sure if you know, but belts should be tightened up enough so that you can pinch the middle and twist it sideways by 90 degrees. Any more and it's too slack.

The pump will probably whine when stationary as it's having to work harder than when the wheels are rolling. See what it feels like on full lock. If it squeals, it needs to be tighter.