mr.ots

Torque wrench recommendations

As per the title, I've seen them start from £20 upwards for a 1/2" drive.

Halfords ones are around £70

Can anyone recommend one that isn't too pricey?

Toolstation and places like machine mart do them for £12 upwards. I think the machine mart one is probably Clarks so should be fine.

Id try and borrow a trade card from someone and get a Halfords one - they really are great quality but I wouldn't pay £70 (used to all me £49)

Not sure I'd trust a £20 one for accuracy...

Halfords Pro ones are fine. Calibrated, accurate and lifetime guarantee. PPC mag did a torque wrench test last month and the Halfords ones did well. They didn't win because of the price but I don't consider them to be expensive personally. I've used them for years on many engines and never had any issues.

You get what you pay for in terms of tools and I would recommend the Halfords ones, my only complaint about them is the quality of the rachet mechanism is not brilliant but the torque setting kit is by far and away the best way to do it.

The reality is that for real torque accuracy you need to set them to the specified level on a torque analyser before use as they drift off over time.

Make sure you wind the torque setting all the way down to 0 when you are not using it as leaving it in with 30Nm dialled in will affect the accuracy.

Make sure you wind the torque setting all the way down to 0 when you are not using it as leaving it in with 30Nm dialled in will affect the accuracy.

I never knew that Yan - will go and dial mine down later....

I never knew that Yan - will go and dial mine down later....

The torque loading element is controlled by spring pressure, hence if you leave the spring compressed it won't work as well.

They are only ever a rough guide at best, unless you have them calibrated and checked for accuracy ever year I wouldn't trust them completely - way better than no torque wrench at all mind ! :)

Agreed on the Halfords ratchet having far too few clicks. Typical example - torquing the stut nuts. You only have 1 ratchet click before the wrench hits the wheel arch, and when you're holding the 18mm spanner with the other hand, having to to take socket off and spin it round a bit to find a useable click is a pain in the arse.

I'd say for wheel bolts, head bolts, suspension stuff etc a cheap one will give you enough accuracy, certainly never a problem with mine, no loose bolts, damaged threads etc.

But for low range stuff like 10mm nuts (5-25Nm) try to buy one with a least a manufacturers calibration certificate.