Alex_G60_Fanatic

Grit Blasting company give me the finger...

Anyone have one i can borrow for a small amount of money and a few beers?

Need to blast the front cross member, slam panel, rear bumper iron and radiator support panel.

Cheers!:thumbleft:

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

just phoned the "Perth Powder Coating Co" and I wont be using them... It clearly states on their website that they have mobile grit blasting services... So I rang them up and the conversation went something like this:

Perth Powder Coating Co "what?"

me "Hi, I'd like to get some car parts grit blasted please. Could you provide me with a quote?

Perth Powder Coating Co "hahaha... Well I can't quote without knowing what it is like! hahahaha"

me "I realize that, I was hoping to give you some simple sizes and then you could give me an idea of cost...."

Perth Powder Coating Co "oh right, ok so what is it your needing."

I then proceed to tell him the name of the parts, their approximate size and shape as well (in some cases) their use on the car...

Perth Powder Coating Co "Hmm, front cross member... what's that again?"

me "holds the front of the engine up mate... It's about [x] long and made of steel."

Perth Powder Coating Co "if I remember I did one before for £80...

me "£80... That with the powder coating then?"

Perth Powder Coating Co "yeah :? "

me "ok... It's just that I asked for a price for the parts cleaned and shot blasted only though.... "

Perth Powder Coating Co "Why?"

me "Because I don't wont them powder coated"

Perth Powder Coating Co "Why don't you wont them powder coated?"

me "Because I wonted them Galvanized."

Perth Powder Coating Co "why you doing that?!"

me "Because I can get all the parts hot dipped for £30 if you must know..."

Perth Powder Coating Co "........................................"

me "hello?.............."

brrrrrrrrrrrrr..........

So Yeah, If that's the place you where thinking of in Perth then you can think again! :?

I was quoted half a days work for doing a rear beam and 2 calipers and carriers by a local company once.

I didn't take them up on it.

I've decided to go onto amazon and just got myself a £12 grit gun and pipe and 7.5kg of aluminium oxide grit. I'll rent a compressor before i go to this company....

I would have hung up at that point. Morons.

Indeed Kev, I felt the same way... If I answered the phone like that at my office I'd get the sack in minuets.

Let me know how it goes mate as I've been considering a grit blasting setup myself! You can get some reasonably priced compressors these days. Do you have a garage?

And yes, it's no wonder Great Britain has a reputation for having terrible customer service. I don't mind so much as I'm used to it and give as good as I get, but it just makes tourists think us Brits are miserable, joyless, *******s :lol:

I bought a decent gun last year, to build a setup in my mate workshop/unit he has, he has all the airlines and compressors stuff there already.

have done a bit with sand, and its very very messy, i would get some sort of proper breathing filter.

I did plan to get a decent tent/cabinet made and then could offer a blasting service, but that plan hasn't gone anywhere.

I do need to blast some stuff soon so will probably just make a mess again for the meantime :lol:

Yeah that is one big negative of blasting. Can the same equipment be used to spray different media, such as polyester beads, aluminium particles, etc?

Yeah that is one big negative of blasting. Can the same equipment be used to spray different media, such as polyester beads, aluminium particles, etc?

As far as my limited research goes Kev the only limiting factor is the nozzle size. So long as the blast media you choose has a small enough diameter to fit up the tube and into the gun there should be no reason why you couldn't use sharp sand from Wickes!

Of course... I can't guarantee a good finish! :lol:

I'm using Aluminium oxide powder because that's what came with the gun but I could have chosen glass beads or other media. The gun would take them all.

As for the mess I'll make... this is the one thing that has been stopping me up till now. I don't have a garage just now and the compressor I would use is in my dads cottage being used with a nail gun (he doesn't have a garage either.)

I plan on doing it in the open air on a concrete drive way that has been swept clean. Of course... this way i wont be able to re-use most if any of the media. Ideally you need a steel cabinet but they cost a fair bit and are not easy to use.

A garage would be ideal if it was empty... any stuff in the garage i would imagine will get covered in dust and loose grit.

I'll let you guys know how i get on. :)

what sort of gun have you got? one with the little screw on tub/container or one with a pickup pipe?

you can always sieve out the media once you have swept it up, just pour into a large container with some sort of mesh over the top

So long as the blast media you choose has a small enough diameter to fit up the tube and into the gun there should be no reason why you couldn't use sharp sand from Wickes!

:lol: I doubt there would be much left of the part you're blasting if you attack it with sharp sand!

you can always sieve out the media once you have swept it up, just pour into a large container with some sort of mesh over the top

If you could get the correct sieve that could work, you would have to wash it as well I reckon, especially if your doing it outside like me...

:lol: I doubt there would be much left of the part you're blasting if you attack it with sharp sand!

I'll try it and let you know! :lol: if all else fails i could convert it into a siege weapon

I plan on doing it in the open air on a concrete drive way that has been swept clean. Of course... this way i wont be able to re-use most if any of the media. Ideally you need a steel cabinet but they cost a fair bit and are not easy to use.

A garage would be ideal if it was empty... any stuff in the garage i would imagine will get covered in dust and loose grit.

I'll let you guys know how i get on. :)

wouldnt recommend this mate, unless your well away from surrounding cars and house's especially with aluminium oxide unless you got some very understanding neighbours. You get that on a cars body work and its gonna get scratched to fook and make a real mess. I use a blast cabinet at work and the stuff still gets everywhere.

We got lectures on abrasive jet machining a couple of months ago and got some general information on material selection, I have attached this below if it helps. Also got some info on grit size, but most of the info is for cutting metal rather than cleaning or etching.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]45224[/ATTACH]

Hope this helps.

I made a blast cabinet out of an old coffee table. Covered up the remaining sides with MDF, one of which was a hinged door and a piece of perspex? (or some clear stuff) from a junk shop for the front. Holes in the perspex by heating up an old exhaust end cap and letting it melt through. Then bought some long rubber gloves off ebay for a few quid.

Works pretty well, got a light and old vacuum cleaner for extraction and set up at working height.

I found it not as quick and easy as you would have thought. So in the end I found a good local chap that blasted all my stuff pretty cheap, would have taken my ages otherwise.

The bigger the cabinet the better as well as you need to rotate the parts a lot to get to everything, I thought I made my plenty big enough but it gets pretty awkward.

Will be giving it a run again soon though as I’ve got some alloys to clean up.

What grade alum oxide did you buy, you would need quite coarse to blast steel - Something like 80 > 120 grit?

Ian.

80 mate.... ;)

bare in mind... I'm blasting the rust off the steel... I'm not wanting to blow a hole in the steel

Edited by Alex_G60_Fanatic

have you tried Kingsway Koaters in dundee? theres another in Glenrothes cant remember the name soz. google it.

cheers