carrots

maybe next job unless i can sort it

my corrado has been off road for a few weeks now due to waiting for my head back,but it doesnt stop me thinking about next job.it dont seem to handle very well esp on bypass at 70+.it doesnt feel safe.its had wishbones,drop links,tie rods,track rods cv joints and top mounts not long ago.also its got a clonk at low speeds from os front if i go over a speed bump or brake.its on bilstein struts with spax lowering springs.ive had it checked on a ramp for play but all seems fine.also on a roundabout if i boot it a little it feels like the steering wheel is rocking from side to side.i was thinking about coilovers as next job unless anyone can tell me whats wrong.cheers

Edited by carrots

Yes mine, worryingly, is like this. I've still got the suspension to overhaul so hopefully fixable. Did you replace the ball joints? Have you had the geometry set up properly? And stupid question but are your tyre pressures ok? Only other thing I could think of would be the steering rack itself.

all mounts are new and new ball joints,it sounds like a ball joint sound.had tracking done tyres dont look flat and it handles fine at low speed

Edited by carrots

what bushes did you put in the wishbones?

what about the rear axle bushes?

the bushes and ball joints came with the arms which are unipart,the rear axle bushes had slight play at last mot

ok well I would look at the rear wishbone bushes again. does it pull to one side when you accelerate or feel like its turning sharper when you apply the throttle in a corner?

it does feel like it wants to go to the left when your driving in a straight line.these wishbone have done 2000 mile max tho

Edited by carrots

pulls to the left when you accelerate? and then goes back to the right when you let off? I replaced my wishbones with crap pattern ones and the lasted about 50 miles before they were shot.

i work for unipart and its very rare we get faulty arms,i had thought of changing the rear bushes tho.someone said audi tt uns .ive looked at them and they look the same as corrado uns tho

Could be worth checking the anti roll bars maybe if its hapening when going higher speeds surley round corners there under alot more pressure ??? Maybe worth a look to rule it out

The Audi tt items are solid rubber. The Corrado bushes have 2 slots in them to allow for a bit of flex.

Get the car in some ramps or axle stands and put a pry bar between the wishbone and the chassis, if the wishbone moves easily then the bush needs changing. Like I said my pattern ones lasted about 50miles before the problem returned

its been on a ramp to check for play and all seems fine,my mate reckons its because its low which is making the wishbones sit at an angle they shouldnt be at.tt bushes looked the same as corrado,unless i would need the later tt uns

solid rubber tt bushes. they aren't the same as corrado ones. corrado ones have holes, tt ones don't.

it's probably not going to pull one way or the other because the wishbones are not at the standard angle. most people on here run their cars low and its not a problem. If it feels dodgy its because something is moving when it shouldn't be. Has it just started doing this?

no its done it since ive had it about 18months,at 1st i put it down to its age and me driving newer cars.but after an mot a few bushes were on the way out so i thought change um and it mite be beter.its the same tho.the bushes unipart sell for the tt are the same as corrado ive had them out the box to look

are the bushes solid then? or do they have two slots in them?

It might be worth looking into to changing the rear axle bushes then. It will only take a little bit of play in something to make the car feel unstable.

might even be something like a faulty damper.

are the tyres all good?

the bushes unipart sell for the tt are the same as corrado ive had them out the box to look

Who ever supplies Unipart are wrong because TT bushes are most definitely different to Corrado ones, as Rob says.

Agree with him on the wishbone angle too, it's not going to be that unless one side of the car is significantly lower than the other, which is unlikely.

Did you check the front and rear wheel bearings for play? A lot of people run the rear bearings way out of tolerance and you'd be surprised how much play back there can bungle up the general feel of the car. Fecked front bearings do nasty things too. Has the steering rack's pinion endfloat been checked / adjusted? Any wear in the column or UJ?

checked the r32 unipart bushes same as tt and corrado not solid.fitted rear bearings when i got car,could do with adjusting tho i bet by now.racks been checked for play and is fine

The genuine tt and r32 bushes are solid items. The ones with holes are crap. Like I said mine lasted about 50 miles!

Poly ones are good. Cheap ones don't last long but are better than the cheap rubber ones!

What effect would dead rear beam bushed have? I sometimes have the same issue, lack confidence on long sweeping fast corners and the car pulls left under acceleration. My mk2 violently jerked left under accel and it ended up being a loose front wishbone bolt.