Driving from Swindon up to my mates in Blackpool Friday afternoon, got to within 8 miles of his place and was shunted from behind at a roundabout. Car is driveable, but he's put a fair few dings and dents in the back bumper and the strip below the boot lid. The repair company who picked it up haven't filled me with confidence, one of the blokes saying that because of the rarity of Corrado's and the relatively high mileage (just ticked over to 127,000) that they may not repair it. Other than that, the car is mechanically sound.

Anything like this happened to anyone else on here, if so, what did your insurance company do, and what are my options from here? It's only a valver, but I love that car to pieces and would be heartbroken to have to get rid...

Keep me updated on how yours is going fella. I should hear back from the repair company today to see what the score is. I was under the assumption that cost wouldn't have mattered because he went into me and last I heard from my insurance company, he's already admitted liability.....

Theres a thread on here about kipvw's accident that happend to his nugget not sure where the thread is but u could ask him maybe read thru his thread and see what he did i know for a fact it got repaired but think he had a battle with it to keep it

Best of luck guys

Just heard back from the repair centre, they've estimated the repair at 1700 quid, which includes 500 notes for a new rear bumper. I'd say that is the same as the car is worth. They need to get another engineer to have a look at it to make the big decision, and should hear back from them in the next couple of days. Not looking good...

Sounds very borderline for you. If you want to keep it thought definitely fight your corner and hard.

I`m waiting for the estimate to come in at the moment, but to me the bumper looks salvageable and mines a VR so I should be in a better position to get the repair done

I hope so fella. My only worry for you is how quickly some of these companies are to turn around and say you need a brand new part.

I most definitely want to keep hold. Will see what they say. If no go, I can get a 2nd hand bumper for around 50 quid, and I'll give it to a mate of mine who owns a spray shop and let him sort it. Where there's a will there's a way!

its not your fault and your insurance company is not going to lose out as the other side are paying so there is no reason why they should not repair it.

its not your fault and your insurance company is not going to lose out as the other side are paying so there is no reason why they should not repair it.

There is where i stand too, but do insurance companies see it this way?

There is where i stand too, but do insurance companies see it this way?

Not sure that's the way the insurance companies see it. Yes, in an ideal world it should be as it wasn't my fault so his insurance company should pay out whatever the cost the repair comes to, but we all know that insurance companies are a pack of robbing *******s, no matter who you're with.

Similar thing happened to me last year - repair was £2600 but car was agreed value of £5k so they had to repair it.

Just be careful who does it - I wasn't happy with my repair and it's been back 4 times so far and it's still not 100%

From my experience id say they would look to write it off, as sad as it sounds, i had a tranny van hit me in the rear, moderate impact with not too much damage but the costs was £1200 and they valued it at £550!! (1991 1.8 150,000). From here you have a couple of options, negotiate on vaulation and try 2nd hand repair parts, (which keep the horrid CAT C/D marker away from the car) or take a payout on the negotiated valuation, keep the salvage and repair yourself, but then a marker of total loss will be against it. Quite a stressfull and annoying problem to be in considering its a none fault accident. Keep your cards close to your chest and come back on here for me help if needed. I work in motor claims / insurance so i deal with this kind of thing on a daily basis.

As far as I know, if it was the other persons fault, even if the damage is more than the car is worth you can still demand that it is repaired as long as it structurally sound, it was a similar quote when mine was rear ended very lightly (just snapped a plastic bumper bracket off and a penny sized dent in the rear panel) and they said they would give me book value for the car, but I refused and said I wanted it repaired and they did, I also dealt directly with the other persons insurance as I didnt want to be out of pocket by paying my excess and waiting to get it back.

Am in a quandry here then. Spoke to a mate of mine who works in insurance and he said it didn't sound too promising. Apparantly even though it is his fault, the insurance company wouldn't be bothered as the repair is still economically unviable. I would have loved to dealt directly with the third party's insurance, but as I type he:

a) has trouble grasping the english language yet alone knowing who he is insured with (although Direct Line assure me he is insured)

b) would Direct Line give me the details of his insurance company or would the Data Protection act prohibit that

C)I have no eye witnesses, it's my word against his

Direct Line have told me though that they are waiving my excess as it wasn't my fault, so that's something. Just need to wait on the decision...

OK then, car is back home and is a Cat C write off. Valuation of the car was £1400 and have decided to buy the salvage for £150, which gives me more than enough to get the little probs sorted. Pretty happy with that decision to be honest!

Yeah, sorted nice and quick which is good. Really not bothered about the Cat C marker on it as plan on keeping it a fair while longer! When did yours go into the garage then?

Blimey, sorry to hear that mate. What's the mileage and general condition of the car like? If you look back in the thread you can see what reg and mileage mine is on (the bodywork isn't too shabby at all) so it should give you a fair idea of what sort of valuation you should be looking for!