sleeper16

scenario for insurance claim

hi i was just wondering if any insurance bods were on this forum that could advice on if it is worth while making a claim. a car ran into me and drove off, clearly trying to get away as they were doing 40-50mph in a small 30mph street i caught up with the car (its a 1 litre) and was not stopping i over took the car and stopped the car. the other driver then smashed into the back of me. the other driver is claiming i stopped to quickly but i say her 2007 car should be able to outbrake me anyday plus i was travelling faster so more stopping distance etc. plus when the car hit the back of mine it hit the back and through my car forwards then hit again and again so clearly was not braking! it is a new driver so still within the 6points limit. I felt a bit sorry for the driver as they were new so agreed if they paid for my car id pay for theirs knowing that mine would be alot more to fix now they are trying to say parts were allready damaged before hand!

If i went through insurance what would be the likely scenario?

cheers for any advice

well i was going to but then a man who only seen the bit of me overtaking them and stopping ran over shouting about how id just stopped in the middle of the road and he would be their witness and all that and even though they would be alot worse off than me i thought i could do without getting any points or having an insurance claim really.

thinking back now i should of as i think they wouldnt of had a leg to stand on. surely i cant be to blame for stopping a hit and run driver?

what do people think would happen if i went through insurance knock for knock? or do you think they would struggle to get theirs paid out for? i dont really want to loose my ncb.

Think you're going to struggle to get anywhere with the insurance company - by chasing after her and stopping in front of her you've given her every excuse to get out of it. Not only that, but with a witness on her side, they'll probably rule that you're fully, or at best, mostly liable.

For the initial incident, you may get some luck as long as the damage is visible on both cars, and has not been covered up by the later coming together.

damage is still visable from initial crash as it was side on. i also have a witness that was the passenger in my car.

If I'm reading your scenario right, and I hope I'm not, you got hit then preceded to chase them down the road in a 30 zone, overtake them and then brake in front of them forcing them to stop? Yes?

To be honest mate I think you'll be lucky to get anything from the insurance, I'd also worry that if it did go to court or they involved the police you'd be up for dangerous driving and without due care & attention. And then you say they've got witnesses, plus your posting of your actions on a public forum that anyone can read? Seriously, have you taken a lot of hits to the head during your life?

I think you're going to struggle given what's happened :(

If I'm reading your scenario right, and I hope I'm not, you got hit then preceded to chase them down the road in a 30 zone, overtake them and then brake in front of them forcing them to stop? Yes?

To be honest mate I think you'll be lucky to get anything from the insurance, I'd also worry that if it did go to court or they involved the police you'd be up for dangerous driving and without due care & attention. And then you say they've got witnesses, plus your posting of your actions on a public forum that anyone can read? Seriously, have you taken a lot of hits to the head during your life?

"Slap"

Yes, unfortunately a dim view will be taken of that.

What you should have done fella is keep up and take a note of her registration and then report it as a "hit & run" in the usual way. Chasing down a young girl who's only just passed her test (by the sounds of it) will just come across as unnecessary bullying unfortunately, but I can understand why you did that. She was probably scared about the consequences of hitting you and drove off. I know there's no excuse for that, but what you did was worse in the eyes of the law and the insurance companies / witnesses etc.

Good luck anyway, hope the car isn't too badly damaged. Corrados are scarce enough as it is these days without another one being lost to something like this.

Yes, unfortunately a dim view will be taken of that.

What you should have done fella is keep up and take a note of her registration and then report it as a "hit & run" in the usual way. Chasing down a young girl who's only just passed her test (by the sounds of it) will just come across as unnecessary bullying unfortunately, but I can understand why you did that. She was probably scared about the consequences of hitting you and drove off. I know there's no excuse for that, but what you did was worse in the eyes of the law and the insurance companies / witnesses etc.

Good luck anyway, hope the car isn't too badly damaged. Corrados are scarce enough as it is these days without another one being lost to something like this.

If im honest this is what i would have done! :lol: The red mist would have descended and that would have been me chasing and beeping, f'in and blinding until she either stopped or was forced off the road in a ball of brilliant white flame.... Well maybe not "quite" that but close enough.

Was in a prang with my mate in aberdeen about 2 months ago when he had drove me to get some corrado bits. Lass clipped his wing mirror and drove off and he went rage! tyre squealing after her and did exactly what this chap did... fortunately it came off ok!

late reply but all sorted. unfortuantly i didnt have enough petrol to follow for more than a few streets also was concerned if the car was stolen etc (this is common in my area) so it was either get hold of them or accept it go to the body shop and pay for whatever damage which i was expecting whole new rear quarter. luckily i managed to go to the dent and nock 90% out bumper was nackered but i can repair it and caused £600 worth of damage to her car she also dropped herself in it and said she knew she hit me.

all in it cost me a tenner so alls well that ends well.

late reply but all sorted. unfortuantly i didnt have enough petrol to follow for more than a few streets also was concerned if the car was stolen etc (this is common in my area) so it was either get hold of them or accept it go to the body shop and pay for whatever damage which i was expecting whole new rear quarter. luckily i managed to go to the dent and nock 90% out bumper was nackered but i can repair it and caused £600 worth of damage to her car she also dropped herself in it and said she knew she hit me.

all in it cost me a tenner so alls well that ends well.

That worked out really well for you, having just read that scenario it could have turned out a lot worse for you, definitely a strong likelihood of police seeking a prosecution against you, even though she was initially at fault. Glad you got sorted out.