c0vert

New Corrado VR6 Storm Owner - How do you know a Storm is a Storm?

Hi, I am a new storm owner. Had it for a year and been busy trying to fix all it's problems so this is one of my first posts on here. But im interested to see if anyone knows if there is a definitive way to find out a Storm really is one of the last 500, or if its just been made to look like one. If there anywhere the records or chassis/engine numbers were recorded to check or anything?

Basically I have one of the N reg corrado VR6 Storms in dark green with beige leather interior. It has the heated seats, colour coded front grille, storm badges on the gear surround and the rear bumber. The only thing it didnt come with was solitude alloys which Im aware the storm should have, and instead came with a set of speedlines.

Now since Im aware it was possible to buy the regular VR6 in green with beige leather and heated seats, I was thinking, how difficult would it be for someone to just get a couple of storm badges, and repaint the front grille? Would there be then no way to tell if it really was originally one of the final run models? There seem to be a lot of them still popping up on ebay even after 15 or so years, and it makes me wonder if some of them (and god forbid, mine included) arent actually bandits.

Hi mate,

its not hard at all to fake a storm buy buying badges. One thing i noted with my Storm when i had the interior out was that the metal bodywork had the word "Mystic" hand written on it in black marker pen (hidden under the center tunnel carpet and sound deadening!). I guess the folks at the factory had an interesting way to mark the intended colour of the vehicle as it went down the production line towards the spray booth!

Also in my log book it actually states "Mystic Blue" as the colour, therefore it is easier to confirm a Mystic Storm is 'genuine' as that colour only came on the Storms. Sorry it doesnt help with you as i think classic green was also available on non-Storms...

good luck anyhow!

Edited by monzablau16v

if there is a definitive way to find out a Storm really is one of the last 500

*They are much faster than a standard VR6 (cos it has a STORM engine)

*They drive and handle better than a standard VR6 (cos it has the red storm badge)

*They look better than all other corrados (cos they have the storm badge)

*And they are worth twice and much (cos it's a storm)

That's the main difference.

* Warning the above message may contain sarcasm and irony.

I had the same issue with my storm, and having spoken to VW I was none the wiser... However, me working for a Car parts company helped me out.

We have a program which tells you the in's and out's of a vehicle, down to the build spec from the factory.

With this tool I could see exactly what my car left the factory with, including all the Storm special bits and bobs.

If you wanted, I could check your car for you?

VW will 100% be able to tell you is its a Storm. You just phone them with the chassis number. I've done it loads of times.

I had the same issue with my storm, and having spoken to VW I was none the wiser... However, me working for a Car parts company helped me out.

We have a program which tells you the in's and out's of a vehicle, down to the build spec from the factory.

With this tool I could see exactly what my car left the factory with, including all the Storm special bits and bobs.

If you wanted, I could check your car for you?

If you spoke to your local VW dealer and they were unable to confirm your storm it may be because they have updated their systems and no longer hold that information. A call to VW customer services in Milton Keynes will get you the information required.

As for checking the factory spec, other than the paint code on a mystic blue, the only other discernable item, "bits and bobs" on a storm would be the solitude alloys. I don't even think the colour coded grille is a listed item on the spec sheet. The only other items, the gear surround and rear badges were fitted at the selling dealers so these would not be listed on the spec.

VW is the only definative source for confirmation of authenticity.

*They are much faster than a standard VR6 (cos it has a STORM engine)

*They drive and handle better than a standard VR6 (cos it has the red storm badge)

*They look better than all other corrados (cos they have the storm badge)

*And they are worth twice and much (cos it's a storm)

That's the main difference.

* Warning the above message may contain sarcasm and irony.

HaHa Love it !

I might get one of those badges if it makes that much difference !!

Thanks for all the replies. I took the general advice and called VW customer services in Milton Keynes. By giving them the VIN number I found in the cars logbook and on the sticker on the car body in the boot, they were able to pull up details about the vehicle.

At first I was worried because the man on the phone said that it was only coming up in the model description as 'Corrado VR6', and mentioned nothing about being a 'Storm' limited edition model. But when I asked him to confrim he was sure, he mentioned that there were actually some letters and numbers following that description that he couldnt decipher. These were I think L2140 GKAT5G. Luckily after speaking to someone else with more information and a different database he was able to tell me that this code did in fact identify my car as being a genuine Storm, and one of the 250 made in classic green with beige leather interior.

Phew!

The original solitude alloys must have been swapped at some point, but the speedlines grew on me more I think anyway, and although they were annoyingly kerbed, I was able to find quite a nice newly refurbished, mirror polished set of speedlines on ebay for only £50, so im sticking with that for now. I wasn't sure of them at first but in the couple of weeks Ive had them on, the interest in it Ive attracted from random people has literally quadrupled. One guy the other day tried to buy it off me as I was cruising down the M6, pulling up next to me doing 60 asking if it was for sale?! I laughed all the way home after that.

Anyway thanks again people. Its nice to join the community.

Thanks for all the replies. I took the general advice and called VW customer services in Milton Keynes. By giving them the VIN number I found in the cars logbook and on the sticker on the car body in the boot, they were able to pull up details about the vehicle.

At first I was worried because the man on the phone said that it was only coming up in the model description as 'Corrado VR6', and mentioned nothing about being a 'Storm' limited edition model. But when I asked him to confrim he was sure, he mentioned that there were actually some letters and numbers following that description that he couldnt decipher. These were I think L2140 GKAT5G. Luckily after speaking to someone else with more information and a different database he was able to tell me that this code did in fact identify my car as being a genuine Storm, and one of the 250 made in classic green with beige leather interior.

Phew!

The original solitude alloys must have been swapped at some point, but the speedlines grew on me more I think anyway, and although they were annoyingly kerbed, I was able to find quite a nice newly refurbished, mirror polished set of speedlines on ebay for only £50, so im sticking with that for now. I wasn't sure of them at first but in the couple of weeks Ive had them on, the interest in it Ive attracted from random people has literally quadrupled. One guy the other day tried to buy it off me as I was cruising down the M6, pulling up next to me doing 60 asking if it was for sale?! I laughed all the way home after that.

Anyway thanks again people. Its nice to join the community.

Hi, realise this is an old post, but I am currently looking to buy a storm and wanted to verify it was the genuine article, and VW milton keynes can see the L2140 GKAT5G code against the VIN, does this confirm it is a storm?

Hi, realise this is an old post, but I am currently looking to buy a storm and wanted to verify it was the genuine article, and VW milton keynes can see the L2140 GKAT5G code against the VIN, does this confirm it is a storm?

Mine says

140KW GKAT 5G

You can't really tell from the VIN as the storms were scattered throughout the final 1300 cars produced. However, Milton Keynes should be able to confirm from the VIN on their system whether the car is a storm.

Is the car green or blue?

Edited by mr.ots

You can't really tell from the VIN as the storms were scattered throughout the final 1300 cars produced. However, Milton Keynes should be able to confirm from the VIN on their system whether the car is a storm.

Blue is easy... Mystic blue colour code...

Mine says

140KW GKAT 5G

That means 140kW of power (190 bhp) with a cat and 5 speed (5 gang in German)

When I phoned Milton Keynes about mine just before I bought it they knew from their system that it was a Storm and I assumed from the conversation it must have said Storm in the details. This was nearly 12 years ago now though.

The one I am looking at buying is green....so can't use the colour to confirm. Everything looks 100% legit, but would be nice to have some absolute certainty as I will be paying top £££ for it!

The one I am looking at buying is green....so can't use the colour to confirm. Everything looks 100% legit, but would be nice to have some absolute certainty as I will be paying top £££ for it!

You really would need confirmation from VW Milton Keynes. That's the only way to be sure it's legitimate.