Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

What's the law on removing the indicator from a UK wing?

Technically you need a "side-visible indicator light", but it doesn't have to be where it is currently. On the whole it's probably not worth moving it, though, unless you really really want to...

I don't think it's compulsary to have one on. BUT!!!!! If you do have one it must work?

,you have to have side repeaters on your car after a certain year,think it was sometime in the 80's it was made compulsary

legally anything after a "D" plate has to have them, but I have smooth wings on my C & it's MOT'd all fine.

If they pull you up on it, take it for an MOT somewhere else :wink:

Up to you, but it's one of those things that a plod in a bad mood is likely to use as an excuse to pull you.

I'm on borrowed time with my red rear lamps too, so I know what that means, but there ya go.

Technically you're not insured if your car is not worthy of it's MOT certificate, either, so you might have trouble if something bad happens (stolen/recovered for example).

Yeah, I heard anything later than a B plate needs side repeaters but you could relocate them to the bumper (US spec) or wing mirrors!

I never had side repeaters on my golf gti it had gti plates there instead and it went through mot's fine I never got pulled by the police for them either ( loads of other things mind you :D but never the side repeaters) Best thing is to goto your local mot station and ask if they would fail the car without them!

I think the general view is that if a car came with them fitted as standard from the maunfacturer then it must have them for the MOT, this means anything from D reg onwards as that was when the law changed. It's the same rule for rear seatbelts...

HTH - only really repeating all above :oops:

Phil

im with dr mat, as its more a grey area. from a certain point, there must be visible orange light ommiting fromt he side of the vehicle.

well my inpros show light from the side.....

Up to you, but it's one of those things that a plod in a bad mood is likely to use as an excuse to pull you.

I'm on borrowed time with my red rear lamps too, so I know what that means, but there ya go.

Technically you're not insured if your car is not worthy of it's MOT certificate, either, so you might have trouble if something bad happens (stolen/recovered for example).

I want to spray the rear lights with red laquer as well - is this illiegal??? if so why?

want to spray the rear lights with red laquer as well - is this illiegal??? if so why?

Only if the indicators don't light up amber, or they are deemed to be not bright enough... 8)

indicators must, by law, be amber and a certain brightness (21W springs to mind, but I have been to the pub tonight so I could be wrong! ;) )

want to spray the rear lights with red laquer as well - is this illiegal??? if so why?

Only if the indicators don't light up amber, or they are deemed to be not bright enough... 8)

indicators must, by law, be amber and a certain brightness (21W springs to mind, but I have been to the pub tonight so I could be wrong! ;) )

so what about the white reverse light, can that be covered ?? so I should be ok as long as they are bright, either that or I have a spare set of rear lights for mot times....

LOL volvos have em on all the time.... funny story here also lol my mates 1960's beetle has no door handels and he flys through MOT's lol i ask him if he crashes hows the amblance crew gonna get in LOL

Reverse lights are not required by law - they are technically only really there to help you see where you are reversing. I have found that thiis does become a pain in the arse, as no other drivers can see that you want to reverse! (My little mk1 golf cab hasn't had the reverse lights hooked up since I bought it years ago)

it's not illegal but if you spray your rear lights, you must fit another , or don't spray over the reflecter bit on the cluster, this would be an MOT failure, i've been screwed for this on my golf, i had to go to the brakers, buy a new set for the MOT, then change them again, gits :x , but some MOT staitions or on the ball , others can easily be distracted. enter girlfriend in passenger seat in a low cut top, :D ,

best thing to do is put one small L.E.D in your wing mirror then you have a visible light from the sideeither on the end of the mirrow or on the bottom. that is what i will be doin as i have checked with th test station

Hummmmmm, no indicators, therefore not fit to pass an MOT, therefore insurance is invalid... :|

Likelyhood of an accident increased by lack of indicators + invalid insurance = stupid thing to do really if you're gonna use that car on the road... :roll:

relax

they are wired somewhere else

i have them at the top of the windscreen and in the window where the door pins are

relax

they are wired somewhere else

i have them at the top of the windscreen and in the window where the door pins are

Is that legal? I thought there was an area (height from floor and distance from edge of car) that they had to be... surely at the top of the windscreen is well outside this area? :?