Sign in to follow this  
jedi-knight83

with vr6 front spring seats / taking off old shocks

I understand the VR6 had a slight change in suspension from early to late models. the spring seats are different sizes?

am i going to have problems trying to fit my koni 40mm springs on a M plate 1995 car? if so can the spring seats be changed easily and does anyone know which are the ones i need to match the koni's

Many many thanks

Didn't think the spring seats changed - they come with the shock strut. The springs themselves changed several times through the life of the car, though, and you can only tell which ones you have from the coloured spots on the lower coil.

they come with the shock strut

only for the rear ones. the front ones actually mount on the car i believe. guess i wont know till its apart, but then i could be without the car for a few days while i get the right bits

Nah - I've got a set of shocks in my dining room - the fronts have the spring seats as an integral part of the strut's structure. The rears are sold (by VW) without spring seats.

Yes, the top mounts may have changed tho.

I don't *think* the top mounts have changed during the lifetime of the VR6. I know they're different from the earlier cars, but AFAIK all VR6s use the same top mounts and shock strut assembly. Like I say, there may be subtle variations in the springs themselves, but they won't be major.

I'd be very surprised if you have a problem, jedi. (Not that I'm an expert, I should say tho!)

Jedi,

I put Koni T/As and 30/35 mm springs on my '95 VR last year and very pleased I am too. As the guys say, the lower spring mount and shock absorber is a complete assembly, unlike the early 16v (maybe others as well?) where you can take the shocker out the mount and replace it. As far as I know, the spring top plate was always the same size, but when I first offered up my new springs the plate fell inside the spring - basically the top coil was too wide. Got back to the suppliers and they said 'oops', new correct size springs in the post.

Only way to find out if the bits'll fit is to drop a strut and take it to bits, but its real easy. Just remember to mark up the alignment of the strut with the hub so that the wheel alignment is as close to original as you can get it, though I would always go for a full re-align after taking this apart.

hth

have fun

What Jedi is referring to is the spring top plate. It's smaller on late cars. Some spring companies, such as H&R only produce springs for the larger spring top plate. It's just a simple case of getting the required plate from the dealer. They're about 7 quid. On my 94 I had to get larger plates, which Vince already got in for me as he knows these things, bless him :-)

K

got a part number for the larger one? and do you know the actual dimensions? is it as easy as measuring the spring to know if it will fit? i guess my 95 vr will have the smaller plates then? i did tell the suplier that i have a 95 car so hopefully they did the right springs?

Wotcha Nathan.....The Corrado VR only had two sizes of top coil during it's life span. Sorry, no part no.....call Vince, he's the man that does it 9 to 5. When you strip the suspension you'll see instantly if you need larger or smaller top plates. The dealer can get them the next day for you. You really can't go wrong. Sorry if this doesn't help but trust me, you will have that Koni kit on your car one way or another using standard bits.

K

cheers Kev, your knowledge is a constant reassurement.

would vince mind me calling him just to ask a part number though?

Cheers :-)

No Vince won't mind. All I can suggest is strip the front suspension and take it from there.

K

Have you still got your original springs, Kev? Check the colour of the two spots that will be on the lowest coils. Compare with Jedi's and see if they match. If the colour matches, you've the same springs and he'll need the wider top plates.

:)

From what I can make out from ETKA, up to chasis no. 50-R-000898 VR6 top mount is 1H0 412 341 and chasis no. 50-R-000899 and on it changed to 357 412 341 A

ok im still in process of finding out which are the correct spring seats...but in the mean time..

see attached pic from bently CD

do i need a special tool to get this apart??

nah, I've always used a ring spanner and an allen key... 8)

You may have to search around some tool shops for a ring spanner which has got enough of a kink in it to fit in though... My set fitted anyway, so I was lucky... 8)

ah ok, i see the pricipal now, basicly i have to hold the inside of the strut still so it doesnt twist. dad has thousands of tools, bound to have something that fits.

so after undoing the top nut does the strut and sring come off in one and THEN i put the spring clamp on....

cheers

ok just to update this so everyone knows the score...

aparently the change was in 1994 on the corrado front suspension and most spring suppliers only provide for the pre 1994 cars.

part number for the larger spring plate is 1H0 412 341 and is about £10

ok just to update this so everyone knows the score...

aparently the change was in 1994 on the corrado front suspension and most spring suppliers only provide for the pre 1994 cars.

part number for the larger spring plate is 1H0 412 341 and is about £10

Yep....H&R being one such supplier. I had to get larger plates for the H&Rs as my 94 had the revised top plates (small ones).

K