Kev_VR6

Classic Policy, Finally!

Looks like I've finally sorted getting the Corrado onto a Classic policy thanks to Footman James.

Almost gave up trying after a load of agro with some of the others...Chris Knott (my postcode), Flux (the type of car), Brentacre (my age), Lynbrook (my age) etc.

I'm currently on an Admiral Multicar policy, which has had it's ups and downs. Wasn't prepared to pay the renewal price this time, but thought I was stuck as I needed either a multicar for both cars or classic for the C.

Footman James have very nicely done an agreed value of £6k pending photos to prove for a very reasonable £570.

Might sound high to some of you but consider this:

I'm 26

live in Manchester

5yr NCB Protected

1 fault claim in last 5 yr

1 non-fault claim in last 12 months

Non-homeowner

Admiral wanted over 2k to insure both cars (up by over £300 from last yr), and they will only pay out current market value - not an agreed value, mods are not covered etc.

I am going to view a Golf V6 4Motion on Friday that is hopefully going to replace the Focus 1.8 zetec, but Admiral have quoted me £1400 for that.

Tried Footman James for it but they can't cover me on non-classic cars :shrug:

Anybody any ideas who else might be worth trying - I really want this Golf but I'm not paying £1400 to insure it...

Been on Go Compare but not much use - cheapest was £1280 but some unknown company. Not too keen on that idea.

Thanks,

Kev

Well I'm 26 mate and I got corrado insured, all mods declared (24v V6) for £390 with Greenlight. Might be perfect for this Golf you want!

Great stuff cheers Paul, that seems really low. I'll give them a try in a bit and report back

Sounding good kev, I use Peter d James for both my VR and the 16v, the vr is £260with agreed value for 10k, while the Nugget has just come through this week with a renewal of £160 with an agreed value of 4k bear in mind i'm an old fart though lol! maybe worth a quick call to check if they can help though ;)

bear in mind i'm an old fart though

Haha nice one Paul. Wow £260 for 10k agreed value. Sounds like the opposite of my quotes lol. Same score for my dad though - same address etc. he's only paying half the price for 4 vehicles than I'll be paying for 2. Cheers for the advice though I'll definitely give them a try.

I always used to use Footman James for my Triumph on a classic policy, its a GT6 (2 ltr straight 6 group 18, 1972) and I was on unlimited mileage, aged 23 1 years NCB all for £160! Yes it was a few years ago (1999) but that was still a whole lot cheaper than anyone else and I had modded the car (all declared) quite a bit as well.

I can't get over the ever increasing cost of car insurance these days; my highly modified 16vg60 sets me back £360 fully comp with all mods declared and UK track day cover, the daily G60 with some replacement boost tubes in the engine bay and exhaust has seen quotes upwards of a £1000!! My renewal on that car this year was just under £200 and when you consider I live in what has to be one the cheapest areas of the country for insurance then £200 is a bloody rip off just because insurance companies don't understand that the 5bhp max I got from swapping some plastic tube to metal isn't a major modification..

Interesting stuff Yan. No need at all for one to be £200 and another to be £1000 for the same cover. Still it gives me hope that I can find a cheaper quote than £1400 for this Golf I'm after. Cheers for the info.

On a side note, how do people come up with a figure to get the insurance company to agree to? I ask because I have just guesstimated the value of mine to be around 6k, I've not had it valued or anything but I know it doesn't go off what you've spent on it or I'd be insuring it for double that lol

---------- Post added at 09:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Kip you little beauty I just rang Peter D James and they'll do the Corrado for £350, £6k agreed value, mods declared! I owe you a pint mate

Wheee! Result.

Maybe I need to be on commission lol!

Hope you mentioned being a club member...

Usually you need to have the car valued by either an independant Engineer/Garage or car club Official, thats where your CCGB Membership comes in handy. :)

Send me through the documents when they arrive and i'll happily do it for you, can only do if for the Corrado though....

And in return you could do an article for the Sprinter as i know it'b be a great read just by flicking through your thread (pretty please) lol!

Kip ;)

Just got a good discount for being a member of the CCGB this morning on a quote from Footman James for my VR - £228. Very happy with that, they're going to send the details through the post so will double check everything first.

Really need to ring around when I finally get the red car sold and the green stuck on a classic policy! I'm paying far too much all round on my insurance at the minute I think!!

Spent best part of a week on the phone to various insurance companies and filling out countless online quotes, but I've managed to get the Golf insured with Admiral, whom I was already with.

At the start of the week they wanted £2700 off me so you can imagine the response they got, but after a load of hastle, eventually getting to speak to the right person, I've got that down to £1600 - still excessively dear but it means I can now have the Golf as a very nice daily and the Corrado as a summer / show car thanks to the classic policy offered by Peter James.

Just goes to show, if you persevere with these people, and insist on speaking to somebody higher up, who isn't just capable of reading what's on screen in front of them then you can get them round to your way if thinking.

Managed to get the VR insured for £449 with greenlight. I think this quite high considering I have 7 years ncb but was the cheapest by £100.

Chris knott, Adrian flux didn't want to know as I hadn't had experience of driving the VR6, didn't even care that I had driven a corrado for 2 years!

Don't feel like i've got amazing customer service from Greenlight but the money aspect was important.

Send me through the documents when they arrive and i'll happily do it for you, can only do if for the Corrado though....

And in return you could do an article for the Sprinter as i know it'b be a great read just by flicking through your thread (pretty please) lol!Kip ;)

Deal! Cheers Kip I'll send the docs over when I get them.

I'll get working on an article for you soon as. Hopefully I'll have the car back soon to get some up to date pics included :D

Edited by Kev_VR6

Looks like I've finally sorted getting the Corrado onto a Classic policy thanks to Footman James.

Almost gave up trying after a load of agro with some of the others...Chris Knott (my postcode), Flux (the type of car), Brentacre (my age), Lynbrook (my age) etc.

I'm currently on an Admiral Multicar policy, which has had it's ups and downs. Wasn't prepared to pay the renewal price this time, but thought I was stuck as I needed either a multicar for both cars or classic for the C.

Footman James have very nicely done an agreed value of £6k pending photos to prove for a very reasonable £570.

Might sound high to some of you but consider this:

I'm 26

live in Manchester

5yr NCB Protected

1 fault claim in last 5 yr

1 non-fault claim in last 12 months

Non-homeowner

Admiral wanted over 2k to insure both cars (up by over £300 from last yr), and they will only pay out current market value - not an agreed value, mods are not covered etc.

I am going to view a Golf V6 4Motion on Friday that is hopefully going to replace the Focus 1.8 zetec, but Admiral have quoted me £1400 for that.

Tried Footman James for it but they can't cover me on non-classic cars :shrug:

Anybody any ideas who else might be worth trying - I really want this Golf but I'm not paying £1400 to insure it...

Been on Go Compare but not much use - cheapest was £1280 but some unknown company. Not too keen on that idea.

Thanks,

Kev

Get a GT TDI 130/150 you won't regret it.

V6 4 MOTION AS A DAILY..... NOOO

Try Need to insure Tel: 01623 720207 I had a quote of them last year for the Corrado a very reasonable £280.