VW_OwneR_85

Vr6 , tt seats

hi,im chris from guernsey in the channel islands, been posting on here for awhile now, thought its best to post up some pics and progress of the shed i brought a few months back, i say shed because it literaly was a shed, i took a massive risk bringing it back home,car had been idle for almost 2 years,no tax no mot and was never used properly by my previous owner,got it fairly cheap because of all that,at the time i didnt have £2-4k to spend, when we test drove it,it cut out, due to the ht leads arching,LMAO the owner got a shock when he started fiddling with the leads :) his m8 covered them in vasalene which sorted out the kangaroo'ing, i had to make it back from guildford to weymouth for the ferry so i wasnt loveing this at all, at one point i actualy said na m8 its not worth it! but then my friend {who lives in uk}said fxxx it!, get it i'll stay behind you on the way back, so i chanced it, and worked out great! didnt fail on me once,my car used to be white but has had a respray in metalic black,comes with a huge list of little problems,mainly body work,but im happy with it,keeps me interested, like to say thanks to everyone here for answering any of my threads/problems..Raddoside.jpg

vr6engine-manifold.jpg

had to sort out the kangarooing so new plugs,leads,dizzy cap,rotor arm also changed the cam cover gasket

as it had a slight weep,{sry no pics}, new discs and bearings on the rear,

raddodiscnbearing.jpg

didnt take long to fit, hardest part was removing the caliper carrier,

raddodiscnbearingsfitted.jpg

next up was sorting the handbrake out! mk4 calipers and conversion hoses..

mk4calipergoodys.jpg

wasnt to bad to install,apart from the brake fitting being seized to the copper hard line,

had a spongy feel with the new pads bedding to the disc even after being bled 4 times,

its all worn in now,brakes are spot on!

mk4caliperon.jpg

did an oil and filter change and sorted out a leak from the knock sensor and oil cooler,

this seal prety much turned to plastic.

oilcoolerboltandseal.jpg

gota love new parts :) if you havnt got one of these sealey oil drain pans idd get one!

they make oil changes an absolute doddle!

nicenewfiltervsold.jpg

next up was replaceing the wishbones with new 1's with r32/tt bushs along with

the balljoints and arb droplinks,i hit a huge problem!!!

wishboneboltsnapp.jpg

but luckily a forum member guided me in the right direction with what to do! thanks again matt

wishbonetapp.jpg

i didnt take anymore pics of the wishbones etc as i didnt realy intend to post pics up,

got my milltek system with decat pipe from awesome :) WOW it was like driveing a different car!

the throttle response is tightened up in the lower rev range and just felt smoother!

Milltekexhaust.jpg

one of my shock dampers was buggered and the springs looked like they were about to snapp

so i thought AH what the hell! new shocks top mounts and bearings!

menewshocks.jpg

did the rears after work in the evening,

gota love seized bolts... NART!!

backendwithshock.jpg

got abit of rust bubbling on the arch you can just see, thats one of the body issuses to sort out.

rearshocknbrakein.jpg

i didnt take any pics of the front shock install but i did take pics of the wheel bearings

which i did the same time,

hubinbits.jpg

the hammer and socket method failed big time! think i was abit Naive here thinking i could do it with a hammer

and suitable size sockets,just pressing the hub back in,

hubbearingpressedin.jpg

if i had the time i would of had them blasted and painted up, but my car has to be driveable at the end of the day.

just got to replace a ball joint i renewed as the rubbers split! buy cheap buy twice!

then its going in for wheel alignment,and hopefully wont have to do anything to the front again! :)

im in the proccess of getting some 15" steels banded,so i'll hopefully have those ready in roughly 2weeks

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

heres a pic of my old golf, far to reliable,started first time everytime, rust free! had to go! :)

mygolffrontside.jpg

oldgolf.jpg

this is what our works carpark is like on a good day! :)

my m8s mk2 golf,he also has 2 mk1 caddys and a mk1 gti campaign and my boss's camper on the right.

VWCLUB-1.jpg

one of the jobs handed to me by the previous owner was a ring down to bare metal on the bonnet which was left by a subaru bonnet scoop!!,iv wanted to have a real go at painting for some time now, so i thought f-it and went and brought a compressor and a pair of paint guns and all the nessacery bits n bobs and gave it a blady good go!

heres the ring! wtf were they thinking?!

bonnetpaintfukup.jpg

heres the spray{DeatH} booth from hell.

sprayboothfromhell.jpg

heres the underside before,

bonnetundersidebefore.jpg

underside just blown over with the basecoat,

bonnetundersidenolaq.jpg

didnt take anymore spray pics in the death booth. i got orange peel prety bad on the lacqour, think it was down to my gun?

bhalfwaysanding.jpg

just halfway through polishing, ah yea can see the clouds!!

BHALFWAYpolishing.jpg

heres the finished peice,im realy pleased with how its turned out,considering it was done in my garden gazebo whilst constantly fighting dust and the wind/rain :(

bonnetdoneleftside.jpg

deffinatly didnt save myself money by doing it myself, but i now have a compressor

and iv learnt abit about spray paintin so its all good! :) think it looks better without the vr6 badge?

Bonnetdonelookingbackfromright.jpg

good effort mate, good to see another being bought back from the brink :)

love the splitty, looks mint, great colour combo too.

thanks guys, yea the camper belongs to my boss ian, he also has another which is a flatbed pickup style in blue/white which has also been restored, he loves his campers,yea the C seems like its had a hard life, its running sweet at the mo, just a few little things that i wanna sort out then the body issues,it has rust scabbing on the rear passenger arch, tail gate hinges has rust forming under the paint and theres 2 rust bubbles either side of the windscreen,this one was deffinatly driven in the winter,luckily engine wise iv been lucky, at 130k it uses no oil and no water and drives realy smooth...

very very good job on the spraying, and trust me give those weitec TX's about a 1000 miles and they will feel superb, had them on my old corrado and they feel softer but hold the road better than my current KW V1's

thanks bud,i brought the hicon gt's not tx's though,them kw v1's have the airbag for ride hieght?, i was actualy realy surprised with the ride comfort thought they would be a little harsher then standard but there spot on,still need to get wheel alignment just cant find motivation to jack the front up to change the track rod end lol even though its a 5min job,

Nice rado mate, certainly doesnt look like a shed. Loving the shiny shiny bits too! :D

You've done a good job on the bonnet too. God knows who thought of putting an engine scoop on it!

Keep the updates coming :D

thankyou, you just cant beat the feeling of solving a problem by DIY but when it goes wrong can be abit stressfull for me as most of my work is done at my works car park as i dont have a permanant place to work on it so it kinda has to be finished the same day.heres my major to do list!

1:- drivers door hinge pin! , door pin has play and the door drags slightly on the sill, i also have a dent that has split the paint so its probably best i get the dent pulled and remove the door, press out or punch out the pin and sand out the split , prep then respray the door whilst its off.

2:- left hand door has paint blistering/bubbling due to bad prep, so samething on this door,

3:-rust bubbling in either corner of windscreen, i realy dont know what to do here,

4:-rear passenger bumper mount area has corroded away, due to sun roof drain pipe? its all corroded up to the arch and idealy need a written off corrado to cut metal off to weld on mine,but its hidden by the bumper so not to bad,

5:- sort out a gash repair on the rear passenger side sill? or rocker? not sure what its called exactly but its had a gash filler repair,

6:- replace brake line/fittings,

7:- tail gate rust, paint split due to rust,

thats all it kinda needs to be mint, i might save up some money and try and rent a shed/workshop through the winter and atleast have ago, the other stuff thats not important

-my bandded steals!!!! hopefully next week i'll have a test wheel!!

-shaved front bumper, going to keep the plate reccess, so no fog or indicators,just not sure where im going to put the indicators? maybe put the indicator in with the high beam some how? just going to source another front bumper and do it as and when,

-replace water pump for peice of mind,replace rad thermo switch for lower temp one,

and thats the shed turned palace lol

just stumbled upon a mk3 golf vr6 for £200 with 63k! advertised localy with a possible clutch problem. thought wow for £200 that might come in handy for spares, turned up had a good butchers and i spotted the driveshaft bolts had all come loose and as a result bent and sheered the bolts! also the fuel lines were perished and spraying petrol everywhere! he must of been useing it like that?!got my friend to tow me back to my works carpark and spent the evening replaceing the bent/snapped bolts,luckily i had a spare set of bolts which was for the corrado that i never used! Happy days :)

mk3backrightshot.jpg

heres the culprit! when i spkoe to him on the phone he said he thinks the gearbox mount might of snapped? as he heard a loud noise, well this explains it!

mk3DSdisconnected.jpg

its funny how things work out, i ordered these drivshaft bolts for my corrado a few months ago and kinda felt guilty that i didnt put them in but now i know why! :)

mk3bentdsbolts.jpg

the vr6! apparently it had the head skimmed and the gasket replaced 2years ago, the coolant looks fresh as daisys!

all this motor needs is,oil change,oil cooler seals,rear disc pads,2 new tyres, engine bay fuel hoses{which i did today} and a blady good clean inside and out!.might just sort the problems out and put it out for £1000 as i dont need another car but i could hardly turn down a vr6 for £200!

mk3BAY.jpg

ah time to bust out the Death Booth from hell once again, i realy fancied the look of the smoothed bumper, except im keeping the number plate recess, sourced a bumper from ebay which to my surprise came with a 90mm splitter! shame i cant use it because of where i live/park.the bumper took me hours to prep as it was in prety poor condition,had to use a hairdryer to soften the plastic up so i could reshape it as the inside corner had been pressed in,anyway heres some pics so far :)

mynewbumper.jpg

had to sand prety much all the lacquer off as you can see in the pic it was peeling badly,

i had some plastic which i cut to size and useing a soldering iron and the offcuts as welding rods

i melted them together,prety sure you cant use just any plastic but the stuff i used worked an absolute treat!

btw the area to be melted is clean and paint free!

mynewbumper2.jpg

bumperplasticweldleftcock-1.jpg

roughed it up with a dremel to allow better adhesion,

bumperplasticweldleft.jpg

here it is all smoothed off, i used u-pol SmC which is plastic filler with carbon fibre thrown in, i then used a regular good

quality body filler for the top layer so it was prety smooth,and used a guide coat of black spray to get a good flat level area whilst sanding,

bumperallsmooth2.jpg

also melted this bottom corner back together is it was flapping all over the place,

bumperbottomweldrepair.jpg

my improvised bumper jigg, my carpentry skills know no limits lol

bumpersprayingjigg.jpg

2k high build primer, this stuff is thick! mixing ratio 3:1 + a dash of thinners.

paintmix.jpg

also primed my cam cover and engine cover ready for the basecoat LC9Z :)

camcoverandengcover.jpg

so its all primed, just need a good day so i can sand a few imperfections out and maybe go over it again

and then give it some colour!!

bumperprimed.jpg

going to try and fit some led indicators in the headlights theres a forum member that has done this,i was considering maybe looseing the highbeam and replace that with an indicator? here in guernsey most roads are litt up and to be fair you cant use highbeam over here for more then a 40 secs- 1minute as you allways come head on with another car, so the highbeams an option.

finnaly finished my bumper :) took a few weeks as i made a few skool boy errors and had to re do it a few times :(

realy pleased with how its turned out,only have slight orange peel in places which im not wetsanding any of it!!and you cannot see any filler dents or ridges etc so im well chuffed about that,

frontbumperfinished.jpg

frontbumperdonestandinback.jpg

frontbumperdonesmoothed.jpg

also got my hands on some borbet A's 9x16" which were spray canned matt white so i worked my magic with the Death Booth -..-

borbetA1stpic.jpg

preped and primed :)

borbetA3rdpicprimed.jpg

bascoat no clearcoat.

borbetA4thpicblacked.jpg

clearcoat :)

borbetA5thlacqoured.jpg

borbetA6THalmostdone.jpg

the wheels have been cleaned up since the pic above,There a perfect fit on the rear but up front they stick out way to much! as you also need to run a spacer for the wheel to clear the caliper,

couldnt source a pair of 5x100 7.5x16 30et A's for love nor money!! but i got exactly what i needed on german ebay!! for 200 euros new old stock ,

there with the machinists down the road gettin the pcd re drilled, cant wait to spray them up and get tyres fitted!!

borbetrearfitted.jpg

vr6camenginecoverpainted.jpg

inletnocamcover.jpg

inletcamcoverfitted.jpg

inletmanifoldbeforecover.jpg

inletmanifoldfitted.jpg

Also got my self an old shed which hasnt been used properly in 20 years! just been clearing it out and changeing the layout this past few weeks,

its gona be so nice being able to work on my car rain or shine with no wind!! or any pressure to finish it same day!!.

there was a massive old bench for packing flowers with tons of cobb webbs and more spiders then you can shake a stick at!

shedbench.jpg

still need to finish painting the floor, the floors solid concrete roughly 4" thick so its ideal for cars,

tackled my door pin last week! so happy with that, no more sagging door! door is realy smooth and shuts perfect!

doorhingeballjointsplitter.jpg

doorhingepindone.jpg

also painted the damaged paint area afterwards.

now this next bit may not be to your likeing! but im happy with it!!

due to smoothing the front bumper i had to relocate the indicators, i decided to use the highbeam

bulb area in the head lamp for it, now here in guernsey in the channel islands you cannot drive with highbeam on for more then 30seconds unless your driveing around at 2am as you will allways dazzle other road users, our roads are very small!, anyway turns out that i still have a highbeam as it uses two bulbs so i can still flash but obviously wont be as bright as it was on highbeam,,

headlight1st.jpg

headlight3rd.jpg

corradofrontview.jpg

corradosideveiw.jpg

corradofrontishrightview.jpg

corradofrontdownlow.jpg

your thoughts on this? i love it :)

Good work and well done for tackling it yourself :)

thanks man much appreciated, for me its all about DIY its what keeps me interested although im realy not looking forward to removeing the windscreen and getting rid of the rust bubbles :( got to be done though

Looks better than when I last saw it, I bought it on ebay and realised that it was not going to be for me especially as I suspected head gasket failure. So advertised it on here and the chap in Guildford bought it. I know he tried to turn it round quickly as it was up for sale quickly but for quite a while. It never ran right either with VAGCOM showing a whole host of dodgy sensors. So I cut my losses.

Hope you get some enjoyment from it and here are a couple of old pics, I removed the scoop but the paint came off, better than that bloody scoop though. He put it back on I think to cover the paint marks.

07022010184.jpg

07022010178.jpg

awesome thanks for the reply! yep! iv found out loads of little niggles with this!

also the reason why it never ran right was because the maf sensor cable allowed water

to flow into the connection, was probably damp for along time, sysmptom was it idled up n down and reved real

low and cut out depending on how damp the plug was,i found this out when i was washing my bonnet and it cut out, then idled terribly, like johny mentioned when i brought it,he said it allways had an idle problem but was fine when i picked it up, also the throttle respone was terrible that changed

as soon as i fiited the milltek with decat pipe, so i put that down to the old exhaust which was gashley made out of random bits with a scooby style back box, it drives spot on! also the headgasket is sound i have no coolant issuse, it leaked oil from the cooler seals but its all good now,doesnt use any oil ether,only problems i have now are actualy body rust here and there, also scabs above the windscreen and rear arch, also has had a gash sill repair on the passenger side

which im gona sort the issues out, if you can give me any more info that would be much appreciated as its allways good to know the history, heres some of this weeks rust repair,

archrusthole.jpg

archpeiceinplace.jpg

archweldingtacked.jpg

archweldedsmoothed.jpg

archfilled.jpg

just need to smooth it and get ready for paint, windscreens comming out soon for the bubbles but they dont look

to bad, should just smooth out, {lol smooth out my axx! there gona be huge holes! gutted}

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Photo 2 - charming! :D

Amazing comeback. Really good to see people having a go at the work themselves. I'll try most things but i'll draw the line at bodywork :)

Agreed. I did see that one when it was up for sale by Rustynuts and thought it could go either way in terms of being on the road for many more years. Looks like you got to it just in time and have really splashed the cash and put in some serious hours on it... superb.

Photo 2 - charming! :D

HAHA you spotted it then,yea tbh guys i was very very close turning it away but i already paid for the ferry tickets and traveld from weymouth to guildford so i didnt realy want to come home empty handed, but all these things once sorted should bring the life back into it! and ive done prety much all the work myself apart from the exhaust fitting and a repair on a burnt wire by the hall sensor so its prety much labour free. iv loved every second driveing it! so it would be a shame to give up on it when its potentialy got years and years left in it, it will never be a show car but its my car! looking at my m8s mk1 caddy that he drives daily idd say this beast has another 20 years left before it gets to that stage lol... cheers.

I can't tell you much more about it other than I bought it on eBay. It had no throttle response due to a jubilee clip blocking the full movement, all I had to do was move it on the rubber coolant pipe that runs into the throttle body. I nearly walked away from it to be honest as I did not know about the colour change until after I arrived. I had if for about 4 months and really did very little to it.

Glad you are sorting it. If you ever need a dizzy I have a virtual brand new one left over from that car.

cheers i think the dizzy's ok for now,how much would you want for it anyway?, yea it would be a shame to neglect it because of a few rust spots which i could sort out at minimal cost, from a labour point of veiw it would rack up alot of money!!

im going to ask for a quote at some bodyshops to see if i can do the prep and let them do the colour and clear,

i know they wont be able to garuntee there work because of that but it should keep the cost right down if they could...