daves16v

Underbody stonechip guard

Does anyone know if the stonechip guard that is applied to the sills and under arch is available from VAG or can recommend any other? I've seen the hammerite stuff from halfords and also heard of Shultz but need something that doesn't need a special gun. Is there a brush on product available? It won't be applied to the outside of the sill so as long as I can get it to look close-ish to the original that would be good.

Thanks

yep, two products, one is thin and could be sprayed on, comes in a can with a screw lid, the other is in a kind of silicon sealant tube (but no piston, perhaps that's a shultz can?) this last type is much thicker and more of a seam sealer, you can brush this about and with practice you can get a very similar finish to the factory with either.

In a thread somewhere I'm sure Ive got pics and part no.s for both, definately the thinner stuff in the can, and I know Kip has used that too.

Part number D003500 from main dealers, it comes in liquid form and can pe brushed on or added to a spray gun, it's the grey stuff that is on as standard and we use it too for small repairs once dried it can then be painted to suit :)

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:56 PM ----------

lol beat me to it David :)

Thanks guys but if its the same stuff under the wheel arch then its about 3mm thick in places especially where I need to coat. Lasermark picked a bottle of this up from the dealer, seems very thin for building up to the required thickness.

yeah, that's where the tube of seam sealer stuff comes in, I'll read the number off the tube tonight :)

The VW underbody stuff Paul mentioned goes on thick with a gun but is quite thin otherwise. You can also use Redstripe Seam Sealer which is brushable, easy to work with and goes on thick. It is easy to make it look like the factory finish as it dries. I used a rubber roller meant for textured ceilings. Or you could use it to build up the thickness before covering with the thin VW underbody stuff as a final coat.

what about U-POL Greystripe

I'm red/grey colour blind :bonk:. That's the stuff. Has a red stripe on the tin :thumbleft:

D 476 KD7 A3 That's what's on my vw stuff, labelled as SEAM SEALANT

The runny stuff is D003 500 underseal

Edited by davidwort

as an alternative, i've been using a 3M underbody sealer, supposed to be sprayed but can be brushed. i tend to leave it to go 'off' in the pot for twenty minutes, thickens up like custard.

D 476 KD7 A3 That's what's on my vw stuff, labelled as SEAM SEALANT

The runny stuff is D003 500 underseal

Thanks David, I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow for a price.

Thanks David, just what I wanted to hear. Seriously mate I'm not fussed, I need to do a quality repair so I'm fine with it.

Sorry, I realised I should have thought about posting that, after I'd done it!

Off at a tangent, why do you have a link in you Sig to a pdf that just has links back to the forum :scratch:

Off at a tangent, why do you have a link in you Sig to a pdf that just has links back to the forum :scratch:

I wanted to advertise my parts in a simple way but the sig would only allow a certain amount of characters which amounted to about 2 items when I'd allowed for the link and name. So the pdf would link back to the forum and I could advertise any number of parts. Not much on the pdf at the moment - it's a work in progress.

Ah, I see, but I'd put a plain old html web page on your own website instead, if you're viewing on a phone or even a pc a pdf is a drag to open as the file may be treated as a resource to download separately or the user might not even have a pdf reader available, I'd save pdfs for detailed instructions where you have detailed high res images/diagrams and want to completely control the layout and formatting for the user. Sorry, I'll stop waffling now :)

Yeah I did consider it but I wouldn't know where to start with a plain old html page, cheers for the advice.

If you have notepad you can do it :)Or you could just save as html from word or open office etc.I'll do it for you tomorrow if you like and explain it so you can add to it. It's really no more complex than writing forum posts with links in and so on.

The full acrobat program (not just the free reader) has a handy save-as-html option, so I just did that on your pdf.

It creates a fairly clean and simple (unlike Word does) html file of the same content.

If you want to you could download a free html editor from somewhere on the web to edit this file and add more links etc. (much like the forum post editor built into the c-forum) or you can just open the html file with notepad or a similar text editor and change/add to the html manually.

With html you can either put your formatting (text size, colout etc.) into the html itself or have a separate stylesheet that all your html pages refer to, if you do it that way then you can refer lots of web pages to the same stylesheet (css file) and update the look of multiple documents on your site by just changing one file.

Anyway, I've attached the html file :) had to do that as a zip as the forum won't allow html files to be uploaded directly, but once on your site you can link from a forum post to the html page fine.

Corrado Parts.zip