VR6 Lee

BHP... what's your rado running now

From watching Top gear last night, can't believe how much bhp cars lose over time.

What do you think yours is running now

2.9 vr6 190 bhp standard

Mines been rebult so I would hope I will be getting somewhere very close to it otherwise ill be very annoyed

Never understood this Top Gear thing of cars losing so many horses as they age. In my experience of going to many, many rolling roads the Corrado engines generally hold onto the BHP's pretty well, especially the VR6 which almost always puts out within a few HP of what it should be putting out - unless the cam position sensor is dead but that's normally quite obvious and quickly fixed :)

Mine had a dyno at stealth racing after the AMD remap, and the plot says 209bhp@5835rpm and 199lb/ft@5072rpm. No idea how accurate their rolling road is though???

Edited by Pete

I knew this thread would make me feel down :brickwall:

Some very impressive figures guys.

I would hope mine is putting out at least the 190, but hopefully closer to 200 due to exhaust, BMC. Plus its not uncommon for standard VRs to run close to 200 is it?

Never had mine at a rolling road, but really want to get it measured. Just dont want to be disappointed.

Its only done about 35k miles and apparently they dont come good until closer to 60k miles. So would be good to get an early reading and a later one.

I really need to get mine on the rollers as well, wanted a before and after result but decided to get cracked on instead. Now OBD2, full miltek, sports cat and 6 branch i would be happy with touching the 200bhp figure, if not the wallet is coming out to make sure I am!

time for a day at the rollers I think. I missed out recently as the car was off the road for sooooo long

Mrs W's 96 8v (ady) on 87k miles was rr'd recently at 121bhp, a whopping 6bhp over standard!

In September last year the previous owner had it tested to 193.3bhp. That was a standard VR6 with a Milltek exchaust on around 137k miles. Since then it has had D&G cams and a remap so should be a little higher now.

That Top Gear rolling road thing always makes me laugh as it's complete bollocks and on Sunday's show, how does one measure power at the 'flywheel' with an automatic car? :lol:

There is simply no way an 850i with a genuine ~47K on it would lose so much power so the reading must have been to the wheels.

And FWIW, when mine was totally standard it made 201hp + 199lbft on one run, then 199hp on a different run.

It's just air and fuel being burned people. If power is massively adrift of what it should be, it's either got a mechanical defect (lack of compression) or an electrical one (incorrect fuel metering) and since TG merely did a very basic token diagnosis, we shall never know why the 850 was down on power!

to me there is no real way of telling how much power they have lost, unless they dyno'd them new and also after a few thousand miles.

Ive had almost every one of my last 7-8 cars on a RR, most were VAG and all of them were at or above standard figures for the standard ones. VW do seem to be conservative with there figures.

I would hope mine is putting out at least the 190, but hopefully closer to 200 due to exhaust, BMC. Plus its not uncommon for standard VRs to run close to 200 is it?

Never had mine at a rolling road, but really want to get it measured. Just dont want to be disappointed.

Its only done about 35k miles and apparently they dont come good until closer to 60k miles. So would be good to get an early reading and a later one.

WHY!!!!!!...... When you drive it hard does it make you smile; as you floor it and see the spoiler rise do you grin, if the two statements are true who cares whether you are on the money, below or above. Until it feels slow; it ain't

Ive had almost every one of my last 7-8 cars on a RR, most were VAG and all of them were at or above standard figures for the standard ones. VW do seem to be conservative with there figures.

Certainly with German cars, the power quoted by the factory is always a minimum. Nissan go one step further with the GTR engine by guaranteeing it will make the 476hp, or what ever it's standard oomph is. In reality it's closer to 520hp, but all factory turbo engines are like that, especially VAG. You rarely see one make the quoted power on the nail. That will change in the future though because of emissions. An iron grip on boost pressure will be mandatory. No more boost spikes for fun. It's why many turbo motors feel normally asp these days.

There are a few exceptions of course but none of my cars have ever been under the quoted figure :D

There is simply no way an 850i with a genuine ~47K on it would lose so much power so the reading must have been to the wheels.

And FWIW, when mine was totally standard it made 201hp + 199lbft on one run, then 199hp on a different run.

It's just air and fuel being burned people. If power is massively adrift of what it should be, it's either got a mechanical defect (lack of compression)

Tick VG

Original had compression test at DG, 2 cylinders not good which in theory explained why at Stealth when everyone was bang on the money mine was 174BHP. Not that good when it had a rebuild (obviously not that good about 10K before that). I haven't found any differance in spped though if anything its faster as I drive it harder