tallboyali@hotmail.co.uk

Goodbye gears

Is there anyone that can help me please.

I bought my first corrado two weeks ago and im totally in love with every aspect of her. The gears where a bit soupie and had started to crunch in to gear if i didnt take my time. I new i would have to get them checked out but i had no idea that the situation was so bad. This morning finding reverse was very tricky and taking off was as thought the clutch wasn't engaging. I got going enough to get the mrs to work but now there is now reverse gear at all. I am totally gutted, the wife is saying i told you so but she dosn't get it! she says its too bumpy and makes too much noise, i love it!

If anyone can point me in the right direction or has any advice it would be great.

could be a cable come loose /broken

idealy need to look at the gearchange tower in the engine bay and under the gearstick gaitor to see whats going on

check the selector and shift cable ends on top of the gearbox are secure and nothing is sheared/broken, also pull up the gear lever gaitor and check everything looks well under there, particularly that there is a circlip on the side of the main horizontal pivot (or the side to side movement of gearlever won't have proper leverage on the cable).

If that all checks out OK then worst case a second hand box should be available fairly cheaply, you don't say which engine, VR6 boxes are probably harder to come by as more vehicles share the 4 cylinder gearbox housing and ratios.

How does the gear slection seem with the engine off and no clutch - still bad? If it feels much better, then may be a clutch issue more so than box. Where does the clutch bite point seem to be?

Deffinately carry out the checks above in any case!

bloody good effort boys. Just had a look at the sift cables and the top one had broken at the plastic bracet. I might be able to fabricate one or get a replacment from first choice breakers. you guys have save me a packet thank you so much, a shower of bloody leg-ends.

if it's that plastic connector that the round cable end just clips onto then just buy a new one from VW, they always crack and virtually all second hand ones will be starting to go, vw have had a go at slightly redesigning the part about 3 times, not expensive either, few quid.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48325[/ATTACH] left hand cable in this pic (not the one disconnected)

Edited by davidwort

take a picture and post it on here so we know what your on about... is it at the gear stick end or the shifter tower end?

When I first read that I thought you were on about pics of his wife!

david mate you hit the nail on the head, flipin leg-eng. My corrado is the 2lt 8v she has had the odd thing done here and there. G60 shocks with lowering springs, de-cat stainless and cone fillter she sounds great but i suspect there has been some power lost due to these mods. I think a remap will sort this but im not sure. she dosn't seem to pull like some mk2 golfs i have been in. She has had a hard life but with a bit of time and love think she will be mint. Thanks for you help again everyone a great network of people.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:38 PM ----------

Thanks Alex dave sorted it for me. I will get some pics up once i have the camera charged. thanks again.