Sign in to follow this  
jamest

'Rado VR6 -vs- Mk4 V6 4Motion

Anyone know what is quicker in a straightline and on the real road?

Mate of mine has a golf and has just asked me why I am buying a car that he can still beat me in a race in :!: :!:

any ideas as i cant do a "road test" until i next see him? :roll:

Tell him he's got a nice motorway cruiser, even if the steering is acknowledged to be sh*te and gives about as much feedback as a dead kipper. You, OTOH, have an infinately more entertaining Drivers Car. And if it proves rather less reliable than the Mk4 Golf, that of course just makes it quirky and gives it character ;)

Can't find it right now, but I'm sure we came to the conclusion that the only VW to pace the Corrado VR6 was the R32 Golf. Anything less may have slightly more off-the-line oomph (4wd and low-down torque), but won't outpace the Corrado from about 40 upwards..

Can't find it right now, but I'm sure we came to the conclusion that the only VW to pace the Corrado VR6 was the R32 Golf. Anything less may have slightly more off-the-line oomph (4wd and low-down torque), but won't outpace the Corrado from about 40 upwards..

Well the 16vg60 golf has to be the fastest vw untill the r32 came even though some might debate that the 16vg60 could have been set up to produce more than 210 bhp originally. i know it was only a limited number of 16vg60 mk2 but still the fastest vw back then :-P

Hi

My Mate had a MK4 4 Motion but my VR6 was a lot faster? 8) Mk4's are just to heavy thats why he got rid of it.

He also owns 2 x 16v G60 Limiteds, as there are only 5 in the Uk and 50 worldwide? so they are quite rare but they go like a Rocket, one's pushing around 240bhp and the other should be pushing around 350bhp when hes finished?? (Bahn Brenner Twin Screw Charger).

Regards

Nigwell

I've had one or two tussles with 4Motions on the motorway and there wasn't much in it but when you're travelling at speed, it takes a Sh#t load of power to blast past something with consumate ease. Pulling away from rest is much easier on the car and smaller differences like gearing and torque curves come more into play.

I'm sorry but anyone that says a Standard Corrado VR will trounce a 4Motion is lying. In the real world and if both cars suddenly floor it when doing 90 on the motorway.....204bhp playing 190bhp isn't going to be an unequivocal victory etither way. Couple of car lengths between the two at best.....

K

Having had a tussle with an R32 from standstill I'm sure the VR will outpace the V6 4Motion. Disregarding the fact that the 0-60 time is of limited use, the figures change depending on which road test you read - 6.9 seconds for the 4Motion, the VR is listed at between 6.2 and 6.7 seconds. As Kev says not much in it but I am inclined to say the VR would be quicker.

I didn't think there'd be "much" in it - I meant it would be clear who'd won, but there wouldn't be time to stick the kettle on before the other guy caught up...

I'd say a VR on the motorway is actually a really good performer - and wait till we get the Schricks on 'em - peak torque at 80mph in 5th, should get better mpg too!

Hi

When i ment my VR6 was faster than my mate's old 4motion i didnt mean on the motorway? i ment from a standstill up? and i agree on a motorway you would need a sh*t load of power to get away?? i also think it depends on the driver and again if the cars been modified etc? but im being honest with you as this is from my past experience

regards

nigwell

when you do finally race him - try not to lose him amongst every other damn golf on the road :!:

'familiarity breads contempt' I think Clarkson once said :wink:

This is kind of off topic but it involves both VR and V6 4 motion. parked up next to a german plated one in the multistorey today- had a quick look as you do- looked great. came back an hour and the top door trim was all sprung out at the top of the drivers door- looked like it had been twoced. Checks the rado out- no damage. Gets in my car and some german fella pips the alarm on the V6- so I get back out and said 'I am really sorry but someones had a pop at your car' feeling ashamed to be British and all that. Turns out a retaining clip on the trim was duff and apparently it did it all the time :shock:. It was just so bizarre that it looked perfect when I arrived and twoced itself by the time I got back :lol: :lol:

Anyway alls well that ends well

Corrado VR6, power 190bhp, Weight, 1.237 tons, Power to weight 153.6 bhp/ton

Golf V6 4 Motion, power 204 bhp, weight 1.4 tons, power to weight, 145.7 bhp/ton

Add to that the golfs power is running through a 4wd set up.

Nuff Said.

Phill

Mate of mine has a golf and has just asked me why I am buying a car that he can still beat me in a race in :!: :!:

:

Ask him if he honestly thinks the Golf 4mot-thing will be remembered as a classic in say 10-ish years time :? ? Don't think so...

Corrado VR6, power 190bhp, Weight, 1.237 tons, Power to weight 153.6 bhp/ton

Golf V6 4 Motion, power 204 bhp, weight 1.4 tons, power to weight, 145.7 bhp/ton

Add to that the golfs power is running through a 4wd set up.

Nuff Said.

Phill

That doesn't paint the whole picture though. The 4Motion has variable valve timing and it's torque spread comes in earlier, lasts longer and has more of it than the 12V engine.

.. not to mention the power-sapping 4x4 in the first place - it'll get off the line and out of slow corners MUCH easier (read quicker) than the Corrado..

I am someone who has recently owned a 4 motion and I have been wasted by both a Golf VR and Carrado VR from stand still and when on motorway.

4 motion was like a beach whale, heavy and slow, I owned car 3 months and sold it because it colnd't keep up with the old school!

So I can truely say my Dad would like the 4 motion but I thought it was pants!

Ive raced one from standing start and left it for dead once hit 30 - 35mph.... but like Kev says if were both doing 70 - 80mph and booted it - it would be close but I would say the VR would pull ahead.... the Golf has to work harder as its a heavier car and not too mention has the aerodynamics of a large caravan :lol: :lol:

In terms of a straight line sprint ... according to http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals_cars.htm (don't know where all these figures are collected from?) the Corrado VR6 is 20 places in front of Golf V6 4motion - so there you go print off the list and show it to your mate... :-)

Err yeah but it's only a tenth of a second slower than the Corrado to the 1/4 mile :?