24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

Looks like a brilliant base for a good motor. Have to admit that I first thought it was LC9Z Brilliant Black Metallic from the pictures and even when I stare closely at the pics its hard to see that its DBP - might be my laptop screen though.

Either way I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it, good luck :)

I found the cloud reflections look kinda mauve in those first pics, and added with the knowledge of Jay's thread on requesting pics of DBP cars I just did 2+2.

I find it hard to find panels in DBP though, that's a bad point if you have an older Corrado.

To be honest the paint is flat as you like at the moment so it doesn't come up well in photos.... Yet.

Panels are easy to come by if someone on the forum happened to be breaking a Dark burgundy Pearl VR of the same age. You may be able to see two doors waiting patiently in the shot of my car in the garage ;)

good to see another rado getting some tlc great spec and colour,is that the plan of attack on that white board?:)

The doors do differ through the years, mainly mounting points for handles etc.. And the addition of door bars.

LOL no the White board has lots of wheel offset calcs and jobs to do written on it, but will no doubt be cleared for a Corrado to do list before too long!

Blimey, I go on holiday and come back to find the CF full of standardnisers ....... even Mr. 'blow my corrado' Haywire :bonk:

Looks like a sound start to an interesting project, glad I caught it early :thumbleft:

It's interesting that you plan to keep the car fairly close to standard this time. I wasn't around on the forum or an owner when you last had a Corrado but I can tell from peoples responses that you did some great work with a previous car. I do agree with your sentiments this time around that the value (both financially and emotionally) is in restoring it to an original condition (OEM+ with an emphasis on the plus).

When the cars were newer it was natural for people to try to distinguish their car by modifying it. But they are rare now. Rare and, despite their low value right now, very fondly thought of by most people who know about cars. VW got it right when they made them. There isn't a lot of need to modify them. The car itself is rare so no need to smooth bumpers or give it an 'eyecatching' paint job (no offence intended to those that do - each to their own and if it keeps one on the road then it's all good).

Look at OSV's or C5 OEM's cars. They are almost standard but most of us would love to own them over many eye catching examples out there. That's due to the love and attention they put into them.

I sometimes look back on several very good cars that I passed up on and do indeed wonder if I should have bought them. In hindsight maybe I should. But what gives me huge pleasure right now is knowing the car I bought is in safe hands. If/when I sell it, it will be better than when I bought it. And hopefully that is enough to persuade the next owner to keep it on the road. I've already sunk more into the car than I expected or wanted to; but having a rare car which needs attention brings a satisfaction with it on each little job you do.

Yet I'm an absolute amateur compared to what I gather is your history with previous Corrado(s). I look forward to seeing what you can do with this one.

Bring it back to life :)

Good to see you back in a Corrado Jay, your last was one of the reasons I bought my first one, as per many comments above looking forward to seeing it return to if former glory! :)

Cheers Matt.

Portent, One of the main reasons I wanted to get back into a Rado was the people and posts like yours on a build thread are proof of why. Intelligent and thought out comment, rather than just stupid posts. Cheers

Jay

So I have started to strip her down and was pleased to find the battery tray was solid and only needs some minor treatment. I am thinking now that while the car is not my daily and I have the chance I am going to whip the engine out and clean and tidy the whole bay. Then when it's back in and the car is a daily driver I can just slowly refurb and replace all the easy to access parts.

Battery tray....

b8a7380f.jpg

Jay

Cheers fella.

Thinking of getting a dehumidifier to put in the garage to keep the moisture at bay over the winter. Anyone else run one?

Jay

Yes, been using one for 12 years (same one). Runs on a plug-in socket timer. On M - F when I'm not in the garage. Off at Weekends when I'm in & out doing things. Starts being used when the cars come off the road in October and run it until end of April. Set in the corner to blow exhaust air along the gap at side of car / wall. So air is circulated. On some days, its so dry it takes your breath away.

Mine doesn't work down past 5'C as it uses a cold plate to take out the mositure. If the garage is cold, the air won't condensate.

Brakes remain rust free. Cars drive like the day they were put away.

Also painted the garage walls with outside masonary paint and the floor with concrete sealer + garage floor paint. That cuts down a lot of moisture retention.

Sit the tyres on kitchen coarse fibre carpet tiles as garage floor paint sticks to hot tyres.

Store the dehumidifier water for windscreen wash and coolant changes as it has no "additives" like tap water.

Cars also "dock" into charger points and have on board quick connections linked to the battery.

Looks good Jay. Having just bought mine which is standard apart from it being lowered I have to agree with you in keeping it as original as possible. I got my modding cheque book ready but having looked at mine very closely I thought sod it its lovely as it is.

I intend to maintain it, repair it when needed and look after it as it is. But most of all enjoy driving it. Its been about 5 years since I had my last Golf and it put a smile on my face to drive this I cannot believe I have never owned one before. Its the same with my Mk1 MX5, all hairdresser jokes aside everyone should at least have a drive of one of those to. Both great cars

Andy

I am thinking now that while the car is not my daily and I have the chance I am going to whip the engine out and clean and tidy the whole bay. Then when it's back in and the car is a daily driver I can just slowly refurb and replace all the easy to access parts.

Jay

Love your style man,just whip the engine out!!!!:bonk::bonk:

LOL. Yeah, well I guess I don't see it as a big job any more really.

Contemplating installing the initial parts of the climate control system while its all out aswell, just so I have the hard bits done before its mobile.

Jay

---------- Post added at 12:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Yes, been using one for 12 years (same one). Runs on a plug-in socket timer. On M - F when I'm not in the garage. Off at Weekends when I'm in & out doing things. Starts being used when the cars come off the road in October and run it until end of April. Set in the corner to blow exhaust air along the gap at side of car / wall. So air is circulated. On some days, its so dry it takes your breath away.

Mine doesn't work down past 5'C as it uses a cold plate to take out the mositure. If the garage is cold, the air won't condensate.

Brakes remain rust free. Cars drive like the day they were put away.

Also painted the garage walls with outside masonary paint and the floor with concrete sealer + garage floor paint. That cuts down a lot of moisture retention.

Sit the tyres on kitchen coarse fibre carpet tiles as garage floor paint sticks to hot tyres.

Store the dehumidifier water for windscreen wash and coolant changes as it has no "additives" like tap water.

Cars also "dock" into charger points and have on board quick connections linked to the battery.

I have done similar by sealing and painting the floor and also lined all the walls, but its the roof where it condensates a bit when I get a warm/cold cycling with the heater on in there in the winter. Think the de-humidifier will sort that out.

Jay

but its the roof where it condensates a bit

Ah, a concrete prefab garage with a tin corrogated roof I bet.

It may not stop that. Better to insulate the metal roof. It will always condensate. Better to paint it with loft insulation material so as the cold metal surface is hidden from the mositure in the air. That way the moisture in the air remains airborne until the de-humidifier is able to extract it. Roof is acting on the same principle as the dehumidier cold plate.

It's not a metal roof, but that paint sounds ideal. What is it's tradename?

On topic I bought a new battery for the original scorpion alarm today and reprogrammed the keyfob in accordance with the factory instructions and everything works perfectly, total closure included which is a bonus :)

Update:

The focus for the next few evenings is to provide the C with a comfy warm and dry home for both being worked on in the winter months, but also for overnight parking.

Having started with a basic concrete prefab garage, I had already painted the floor and panelled out the Walls with loads of battens and free 15mm chipboard for which I have a unlimited supply.

800979ec.jpg

71209fe6.jpg

But it is not enough, so this weekend I picked up a load more wood and 12 rolls of "space blanket" insulation.

I have started feeding the space blanket in behind the wooden wall panelling and am just over half way so far. Hoping to finish this by the weekend and finish off painting all the panels White to brighten everything up.

fda3ab6d.jpg

Also started to batten out the ceiling, so I can board out up there too.

d8f39115.jpg

On the car front I have replacement front indicators and aerial (cheers Andy) and a replacement front slam

Panel in dark burgundy pearl (cheers Paul) and can't wait to get the car in the garage to start work next week.

I have given myself the deadline of the rolling road day at the end of November to have the car road worthy and sorted...

Jay