GrahamU

GrahamU's 2.0 TFSI with DSG

Picked up a little gem yesterday, its my 3rd Corrado and I think I may have some more fun with this one.

This is the picture I was sent by the original owner

52653023234_34aaa2158a_z.jpg

He was persueded to get rid of it by his wife who doesn't like rados, all he waned in return was a set of wheels for his passat so a straight swap was done for a set of mk5 GTI 17s, result....

Wasn't worried if it was in poor condition as I could break it for more than the wheels were worth.

When I got it home it was dark so left it till today to have a good look over it and cant beleive my luck.

The docs show it has full service history and its due for a service in 3k mls

Its covered 176k mls but its in incredable condition.

Three little patches of rust, one on each wing at the bottom and one on the tailgate in the bottom corner of the rear screen.

Underneath is solid and look clean, theres no sign of accident damage.

The interior is almost like new or at least it will be after a small clean, minimal wear on the drivers bolster and passenger seat looks like it not been used.

Paint needs some attention as it looks like its been polished a little too much and worn off the top coat but is now looking a bit flat, I did have a go at polishing the rear quater and it came up well but its not worth over doing the cleaning as it needs new paint.

Most of the electrics work with the exception of the sunroof which has been glued shut and sealed up.

It seems to have kw springs on it but not sure on the shocks.

So heres a few pics I took today:

52652749006_913c9238dd_z.jpg

52653232383_29e74a855b_z.jpg

52653023209_2605775cc9_z.jpg

52653188195_f90398b025_z.jpg

52652748986_0365696128_z.jpg

52653188185_d6d8fcdc4d_z.jpg

52653188175_a9dbfe78d5_z.jpg

52653023189_805e9f1ea6_z.jpg

I have a few plans for it which could include the 20v T engine currently sat on the floor in the garage, some new paint and maybe a recaro interior to start with.

Thought I'd add these pics of my last Corrado's, the G60 being the first VW I owned

52653188115_ba42880d39_w.jpg

52652258792_7c6f0a4dd1_z.jpg

File0001.jpg

and a 16v that turned out to be a real dog

52653023184_f35dfb7fe3_w.jpg

Edited by GrahamU
members name changed

Started working on the Rado today, the plan is to 20v turbo it

So started of by finishing of the tidying of the garage so I can fit the Rado in an work on it, that took till 2 o'clock so not alot of time to work on the car but all helps.

52652748951_c43b2e3c08_z.jpg

So this is the current power house under the bonnet

52652258782_0f10c6aba7_z.jpg

but that will make way for this

52653188105_e92e627fde_z.jpg

Started to strip by removing the battery and airbox to see how much rust was there, I have to say I was plesently surprised, a little work will be needed under the battery but not too much

52652258767_fffa71fdec_z.jpg

52653023139_05426fedbe_z.jpg

Continued stripping the front off to look at the rad support and again, not too bad, hopefully I'll be getting a sand blaster for xmas so that will get sorted then..

52653232288_e54f07fc16_z.jpg

52653023094_58c5deea16_z.jpg

52653023084_8fc20d01ed_z.jpg

All looks quite good so far, nothing scary although the brakes are worn beyend there tolerences but there going to be replaced anyway.

Other jobs include:

Flat rear no. plate panel and relocate rear plate

Smooth front bumper

280 brakes

fit recaros from last Rado

fit late bonnet bought from ebay

Then its gonna need some paint

So, bring on the xmas hols so I can get some more done.

Edited by GrahamU

looks good. Is that the 20v engine that was destined for the mk1 cab?

Thats the one, my wife wants to drive the mk1 when I finally finish it, so it can have the 16v from the rado

Give us a chance Rob, I've only just got it.......

It will be at the RR day

How long has that engine been sitting next to the mk1?! Lol!

At RR day? If you need a hand let me know!

Got in the garage for a while today, got the old engine out

52652258717_e1011dc958_z.jpg

Got some cleaning to do, few leaves lying around under there

52653188075_5c67731300_z.jpg

Started stripping the harness out and a couple of other bits, going to hide the harness in the chassis to tidy things up a bit, not over the top, just a slight tidy up.

52653232258_1f33f8bd3e_z.jpg

Need to get some gunk to clean under the bonnet aswell.

Back to work tomorrow 😞 so cant do much more till the weekend again

Edited by GrahamU

Stripped some more parts out, finally got the exhaust manifald of the downpipe, removed servo and clutch master so i could get to the wiring harnesses.

Removed engine harness completely and started to mod the lights etc harness so i could run it through the chassis.

52653023019_a02d93ec02_z.jpg

52653022994_403b4f6370_z.jpg

52652258647_2e339016b8_z.jpg

Gave the bay a little clean, not to much but it looks a bit better. Really needs a full spray but that can wait.

Ran the light harness through the chassis leg, doesn't look alot but took a while. Just need to protect it now, gonna put some pipe foam lagging around it.

52653022964_e07a8eb15f_z.jpg

52653232163_fa1226fe7b_z.jpg

Tomorrow I'll rework the 1.8t harness to fit, I plan to put the ECU in the same position it was for the 16v.

Thats another day done and another step closer

Edited by GrahamU

odub said:
Coming along nicely. Do you want to have a go at my wiring?

Ha Ha, Oli, lets see if this works first.

Todays updates:

Ran the engine harness through the bulkhead and plugged back into the fuse box.

Sprayed the servo and put it back on along with the clutch master. Found when i removed the clutch master that it was held in (bodged in) with 2 x M6 nut and bolts so it was a bit of a pain to remove so had a closer look and found it had no threads in the holes, I assume its not an original VW part, so I tapped the holes and put some studs in, it was alot easier to put back in than it was to remove.

Now need the engine back in to finish the engine harness to get the right cable lengths.

52653232153_9a657bca85_z.jpg

Decided that as I have until march for the local club rolling road (dubgeneration - all welcome) I have plenty of time to remove the crossmember and put on the new arms and poly bushes then poly bush the steering rack and clean it all up.

Made my first school boy error of the project when removing the crossmember, forgot which way to turn a bolt to undo it, thought "thats a bit tight" so got the big bar on it and snapped the head off.... so now need to remove whats left of the bolt.

This is how I left it tonight

52653188010_560aa00c93_z.jpg

Edited by GrahamU

do you think it is safe to and a good idea to clean up the brake fluid reservoir by putting it in the dishwasher? just a thought after looking at yours and mine is in a similar state

One of my jobs on the list is to clean up and repaint all the brake lines, the MC and I have another fluid bottle that I was going to clean in my parts washer.

Not sure the wife would be happy if I put it in the dishwasher.

When I stripped the lump from my old golf, I cleaned out the fluid bottles first with some gunk, then hot soapy water with the little uns' old bottle brush, then left em in a bucket of scolding hot water and bleach. Worked a treat and even the expansion tank came up pretty well.

Not alot of progress this week,

Stripped the subframe and started to clean it before I realised I need some gunk or other proper cleaner to do it properly.

Fitted some poly bushes to the suspension arms and arb

Modified a mk4 coolent expansion tank to fit

Fitted braided hoses to the fronts

Not alot but but the wife had some jobs for me

Bit of traveling to get bits yesterday

Picked up a qpeng downpipe

52652748811_578a6e5392_z.jpg

then off to Tonbrigde Wells to get a late bonnet from this, £20 of ebay

Today changed the turbo oil return pipe so now the rear mount goes on without any mods

Fitted the rear mounts and removed the mk1 mounts that were on it (the engine was going in my mk1)

And then fitted the engine, well most of it, still no front mount but I might get a solid mount made.

But anyway, here it is so far

52653232138_b1b0ceae53_z.jpg

52653022934_6e806493c1_z.jpg

Colours arnt quite right as it was painted to match the mk1 but it'll do for now

Edited by GrahamU

Looks good....when you say you plugged the engine loom into the fusebox, I presume it was a CE2 QPeng loom or similar?

When I stripped the lump from my old golf, I cleaned out the fluid bottles first with some gunk, then hot soapy water with the little uns' old bottle brush, then left em in a bucket of scolding hot water and bleach. Worked a treat and even the expansion tank came up pretty well.

have had a go at this is evening and came up a treat

Good work so far Graham. With any luck i'll be doing this next winter so useful to have it in pictures

what are the advantages of a mk4 expansion tank?