rubberdubber

vr6 fault codes

hi all

got abit of low rev hesitation, so thought i'd plug it in, have the following faults:

Hall sensor-G40 open short circuit to positive

engine speed sensor-g28 no signal

any ideas??

Ignore G28 - that's the crank sensor because the engine isn't running.

G40 is the cam sensor - looks like yours is shot but usually the car will run batch injection and around 30BHP down when it's in this state... is it that down on power?

thanks man, just rang TPS an its NLA for a 1992 model, they can only supply 93 onwards. Anyone else had this trouble? seems im fairly screwed. yeh it is low on power :(

If it's a 92 then it's the hall sensor in the Distributor if that's what G40 is, I can't remember. When that's gone the ECU runs heavily retarded ignition, which cuts the power considerably as mentioned above.

hmm it does drive like the ignition timing is retarded. so mine being an early distributer model it dosent have a cam sensor?

but has the following sensor seen in the image instead?? i cant find it on etka so assuming it comes as a whole distributer? :( interesting i appear to have an earth connection adrift which you can see pictured, cant find a wire for it mind...

94d1619a.jpg

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:48 PM ----------

the fault code for the hall sender g40 fault is

That's the hall sender. I'm not sure whether VR6 distributors are similar in design or even if the hall senders are interchangable, but years ago I wrote this little FAQ for a different forum on how to change a VW Polo hall sender - have a look if you like and it'll give you an idea of whats going on in there:

Link to Hall Sender FAQ

Edited by Purple Tom

cheers for your help chaps, nice how to tom, had a google search seems you change it by stripping the distributer. the problem seems to be finding the part, may have to give bosch a call. yeh i thought that about the wiring upon closer inspection its silicone sealant stuck to the wires not burnage!

I have a pretty new distributor sitting in my garage needing a new home that is complete with hall sender. Drop me a pm to discuss if you want it.

Ignore G28 - that's the crank sensor because the engine isn't running.

G40 is the cam sensor - looks like yours is shot but usually the car will run batch injection and around 30BHP down when it's in this state... is it that down on power?

Is this true to obd2 management too that It will run batch injection instead of sequential?