Sign in to follow this  
fry

uprated headlight loom

My lights are not as bright as I'd like. I was told to fit an uprated headlight loom to solve this prob. Does anyone on the forum know a supplier in the UK and how much they will cost.?

cheers....

fry.

or if your handy.......have a look on the corrado-uk yahoo group as their is detailed description of what you need and how to do it........i think its under the files section.....in all it should cost you around £10+ to diy

http://www.trimsport.freeserve.co.uk/

UPRATED WIRING LOOM .

. Dramaticly improves lighting on all VW's especialy MK1, will take uprated bulbs no problem. £45.

I'm sure some of the guys at the club have the above fitted. Although I belive you can buy the parts for a tenner and DIY it. Dont ask me how Ive had it explained to me but wouldnt want to say as it was a while ago

HTH

Dam you'r quick of the mark Roddy I had hardly typed that......hmm 3 mins it took me to respond need to learn to use two fingers (to type):D

Hello Fry. ref your enquiry for an uprated wiring loom. We produce just such an item specifically for the Corrado and uses oe headlamp plugs not crimp terminals. Cost is £50 plus p&p. Have already supplied some of the Forum guys ask them for a ref regarding resulting improvements to light output.

Hello Fry. ref your enquiry for an uprated wiring loom. We produce just such an item specifically for the Corrado and uses oe headlamp plugs not crimp terminals. Cost is £50 plus p&p. Have already supplied some of the Forum guys ask them for a ref regarding resulting improvements to light output.

not trying to steal your thunder btw john :wink:

Just done the DIY job for about £10. Works extemely well - so much so that I now need to do the same to my full beam spots as they now look very yellow!

All the parts are available at Halfords and they even do the relay with a built in fuse so you have even less wiring to do.

I'm sure there is nothing wrong with my crimping :)

uses oe headlamp plugs not crimp terminals.

Just do it your self,there is a D.I.Y. guide on the Matey-Matey website.

About £10 for the bits needed and about 30 minutes of your time.

I've got all the bits ready to do this mod (but haven't got round to it yet !) - but reading about it here has jogged my memory over something else! My car, a '96 N reg, doesn't seem to have dim dip! The only other thing on the car that doesn't work is the glove box light (bulb is OK) - do they share a fuse by any chance?

Assuming that the dim dip relay etc. hasn't already been removed. I'll go & have a look for the resistor later...

... later... big boy resistor is there inside the nearside wing, near the battery.

But the Corrado handbook fuse list doesn't mention dim dip, and the Bentley manual doesn't either (not surprising really as Dim Dip's a UK only thing!).

Can anyone shed any light (pun intended!) on which fuse & relay work the dim dip???

thanks,

Chris.

Chris - sorry I can't help you on this one as I don't have any wiring diagrams that show the dim dip. :(

If I get a chance this weekend I'll root around and work out which fuse stops the dim dip from working

thanks for all the replies people, I am unsure about attempting any kind of diy on my car I have the worst luck when it comes to working on my own vehicles (long story involving my aircooled beetle!!)

fry....

OK guys so who knows what's supposed to happen with dim dip? I've got the ballast resistor, but whatever I do with ign or switches my dip bulbs are either ON or OFF. Doesn't seem to be any 'dim' illum. Unless that is the problem with the lights all along and they are permanently on DIM :D :D

What do you mean by dim dip? The main headlight (position 2)? surely these must be working otherwise you'd blind people with your full beams all the while!

The glovebox light consumes a much smaller wattage than the dipped beams, so unlikely to share that fuse. I believe it shares the dash illumination fuses. Perhaps your glovebox switch is iffy?

Cheers

Kev

"Dim Dip" was fitted to all UK spec. cars manufactered after '89 ish and was a supposed safety feature whereby it was impossible to drive the car on sidelights alone - i.e. if the headlight switch was at position 1, sidelights, then as soon as you turned on the ignition, the dipped beam bulbs were supplied via the ballast resisitor to cause them to glow at some reduced brightness level - hence the term "dim dip".

Never quite understood though if it really was a safety issue, then why not just light the dipped bulbs fully? Why ponce around with the dim bit????

Chris.