VR6

Mk2 Golf VR .... Should I?

Got a friend selling a Mk2 VR and just wondered if anyone had any experience with them at all? Common 'transplant' issues etc ..?

Great fun to drive and it's a nice motor overall. Just not sure I can justify the expense of having it as a second car. Tax is only £10 a year but I need to check the insurance!

Yeah I was out in it this morning and it's a lot of fun! It's 'only' the 2.8 but running OBDII AFAIK.

55k on the engine/clocks but not sure what the car's on. Weitec adjustables. Rallye half leather.

Pic attached.

Any stab in the dark as to value??!

Given what you sold your Corrado for I wouldn't pay more than £500 for that, walk away

No idea on value but I like that a lot. The rallye half leather is quite sought after. But if you buy it then you have effectively just swapped a corrado for it.

If it was me I wouldn't. The mk2 Golf design as about 5 years older than the Corrado and I couldn't imagine driving anything older than that. Flash your cash and buy a mint Corrado VR again, you know that's ultimately what you wish you'd bought ;)

Given what you sold your Corrado for I wouldn't pay more than £500 for that, walk away

I would have thought the numberplate was worth more than that? :shrug:

Not to my taste at all. My gf has a Mk1 Cabrio - it's cramped and noisy with crap handling - don't imagine this would be too different. Yes, the VR will make it quick but it's not exactly pretty and your back will thank you in the long run!

Stone

Completely disagree that it's not pretty - I love the MK2 styling and it looks similar to Bright Blue Metallic one of my favourite colours (though I suspect it's had a respray??). The standard MK2 handles well, not quite up there with a Corrado, but definitely more of a go-kart feel, which the VR6 may compromise a little. The VR6 is a relatively popular transplant, but wouldn't be the one I would go for, as the car loses a bit of its MK2-ness. They are more roomy than a Corrado, bit that's not an issue for a second car.

I agree that the car is more dated than the Corrado - not only in looks but also in terms of trim and comfort.

Value really depends on the condition of the car overall - I'd go for £2k assuming average condition (i.e. some rust), £3k for a minter. They tend to rust in similar places to the Corrado, but be wary of rust around the wiper blank and the fuel filler, and account for any potential rust under the plastic trims.

Personally I would pick (and have picked) a Corrado, but as the missus has a MK2 I get the best of both worlds anyway.

I didn't really think the Corrado sale was relevant to this? Or are you implying that by effectively swapping the C for the Golf is a daft move? Selling the C cheaply doesn't influence the value of future purchases.

No idea on value but I like that a lot. The rallye half leather is quite sought after. But if you buy it then you have effectively just swapped a corrado for it.

Yep I gather that the Rallye half leather is fairly rare. True, it would appear to be a Corrado-to-Golf swap but I do have to move on at some point. Buying this doesn't preclude the purchase of another (or the same!) Corrado at some point.

I like the colour :camp:

Why only £10 tax ? :scratch:

Isle of Man rules :grin: Cars made before 1987 qualify as classic cars for tax and the annual rate is a tenner. This is one of the big reasons I'm considering some cheap VR motoring. The Corrado would be upwards of £300 per annum.

If it was me I wouldn't. The mk2 Golf design as about 5 years older than the Corrado and I couldn't imagine driving anything older than that. Flash your cash and buy a mint Corrado VR again, you know that's ultimately what you wish you'd bought ;)

I started in Mk2's and so maybe I just want to run this for 6 months and then get something else. It's only going to be a second car for use during the week - keep a few miles off the red one.

I would have thought the numberplate was worth more than that? :shrug:

Not to my taste at all. My gf has a Mk1 Cabrio - it's cramped and noisy with crap handling - don't imagine this would be too different. Yes, the VR will make it quick but it's not exactly pretty and your back will thank you in the long run!

Stone

Yeah it is a bit of a bone-cruncher tbh! I think some better coilovers would help.

Completely disagree that it's not pretty - I love the MK2 styling and it looks similar to Bright Blue Metallic one of my favourite colours (though I suspect it's had a respray??). The standard MK2 handles well, not quite up there with a Corrado, but definitely more of a go-kart feel, which the VR6 may compromise a little. The VR6 is a relatively popular transplant, but wouldn't be the one I would go for, as the car loses a bit of its MK2-ness. They are more roomy than a Corrado, bit that's not an issue for a second car.

I agree that the car is more dated than the Corrado - not only in looks but also in terms of trim and comfort.

Value really depends on the condition of the car overall - I'd go for £2k assuming average condition (i.e. some rust), £3k for a minter. They tend to rust in similar places to the Corrado, but be wary of rust around the wiper blank and the fuel filler, and account for any potential rust under the plastic trims.

Personally I would pick (and have picked) a Corrado, but as the missus has a MK2 I get the best of both worlds anyway.

Yeah it's had paint in the past but the guy who built it owns a bodyshop so all the paint and bodywork look pretty good.

I haven't properly checked all the rust places yet but I think it was 'built' fairly recently so hopefully there shouldn't be issues.

Price is £3k but I'm aiming more for £2.5k max.

VR6 you can have my Corrado VR for 2.5K ...... 93K on the clocks, full leather, weitecs, moonlight blue, cobra full closure, full history etc...... was thinking of putting it up in the New Year. Come on you know you want to stay in a Rado ;)

The rallye half leather is quite sought after.

I think it's the Recaro version as well. If so is that much harder to find than the standard Rallye half leathers?

Also comes with a 6-branch and a Peloquin diff.

I know it's 28 years old but it's pretty good spec wise and I'll save £300 a year on tax.

---------- Post added at 11:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

VR6 you can have my Corrado VR for 2.5K ...... 93K on the clocks, full leather, weitecs, moonlight blue, cobra full closure, full history etc...... was thinking of putting it up in the New Year. Come on you know you want to stay in a Rado ;)

I did think about another Corrado but I know how much money they can suck out of your wallet. Hence considering this as a cheaper option as a runabout.

Things to look for seeing as its pre 90 spec are good wiring, its a full rewire on the pre 90 spec and I've seen people just bodge it together for a bit of fun. OBD2 is a much better engine management and I'll bet the actual bhp output of an obd2 engine isn't far off the obd1 2.9. Also check out the pulley side chassis leg, they need modifying to fit the pulleys in, some do it with a grinder and a welder, some use a hammer.

Other than that its the usual things wrong with a mk2 and vr6 engine. They are rapid and my friends VR handled really well but obviously people have different opinions, GVK would disagree with comments on bad handling and he uses his as a trackday car!

Handling is terrible, the mk 2 doesn't take to the extra weight of the VR lump well.

complete rubbish, if you fit very good suspension a mk2 vr6 is awesome in the handling department

Are you tempted by it just because it has come up or do you really want it? Are there not any other itches you want to scratch. I keep looking at all sorts of cars out of VAG world as sometimes you get so engrossed in it and forget anything else exists.

complete rubbish, if you fit very good suspension a mk2 vr6 is awesome in the handling department

What would good suspension be on the mk2 Karl?

Are you tempted by it just because it has come up or do you really want it? Are there not any other itches you want to scratch. I keep looking at all sorts of cars out of VAG world as sometimes you get so engrossed in it and forget anything else exists.

A bit of both really! Always fancied one even since they started sticking the VR into the mk2. And this is a very good example, and probably won't find a better one over here (IOM).

Love it :D You need something fun and mental like that in your life! I never really got a sense of enjoyment from you with your Evos. Maybe this will be the car to reignite the spark of interest? :D

Handling can always be improved. The MK2 isn't a million miles away from the Corrado. I've never seen anything go round Castle Coombe as fast as Maurice Reeves's old MK2. It was trouncing tuned up RS4s back in the day.....

Bilstein PSS9 coilovers if you're feeling flush! :D

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Maurice's car was a 20vt wasn't it? I remember it had some fruity top mounts! :D

Love it :D You need something fun and mental like that in your life! I never really got a sense of enjoyment from you with your Evos. Maybe this will be the car to reignite the spark of interest? :D

Handling can always be improved. The MK2 isn't a million miles away from the Corrado. I've never seen anything go round Castle Coombe as fast as Maurice Reeves's old MK2. It was trouncing tuned up RS4s back in the day.....

Fun and mental? That's what the g/f is for! :grin:

Yeah I'm still loving the 8 - just spent some wedge on new shoes, some tuning bits and a custom remap. Should be around 400/400 now hopefully!

I've always loved the idea of a Mk2 VR - looks and style + one of the best possible engines for it (except maybe an R32!). I just don't know if buying it will be asking for trouble i.e. all of the typical Corrado problems! The main reason is that there's probably only 3, maybe 4, Mk2 VR's over here and this one is owned by a mate/had about £18k spent on it (apparently).

Bilstein PSS9 coilovers if you're feeling flush! :D

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

Maurice's car was a 20vt wasn't it? I remember it had some fruity top mounts! :D

I have to admit, the Weitecs on it at the moment are solid as fook! I'm not sure I'd spend a grand (35% of the car's value!) but certainly £600ish would be a good investment I think!

Fair enough :D

tbh, I don't think you will have THAT many problems with a mk2 golf compared to a Corrado. I mean the golfs were built by german robots who don't even stop for tea breaks as opposed to random germanians who drop tools the second someone smells schnitzel. The only major probs you would have would be the corrado specific bits(!) which is the engine (unless it's from a mk3 Golf - also built by tea-hating robots). What level of trim is it anyways? has it got a lot of electric stuff, windows/mirrors/sunroof?

I say go for it :D

The base car is a 1984 CL (I think) non-sunroof. Engine is from a Highline so should be ODBII. Electric windows and power steering but the rest is fairly basic (half the appeal really!).

Just getting some insurance quotes through so will see what happens!