AB

3.68 final drive

i hear a few people saying if you put this in a vr box it makes a hell of a difference?

what box is this gear out of? and also what are the down sides if anyone has any personnel experience that would be nice to hear.

many thanks

No issues, other than reducing top speed but then how often do you do 150mph+. Ive been told the 3rd gear from G60 makes a big difference as well. Looked into the recently and to get it done your looking at about £5-600 as you may as well get the box rebuilt at the same time, then it would be silly not to add a new clutch as well so there is another £120. Its worth but it will cost.

Had a G60 FD in both of my previous VR's... makes a massive different, power at your foot all the time, and no need to drop a gear :)

I was having one fitted to my corrado the other week but some scum stole the gearbox i had rebuilt from my mates shed!

All benefits, no downsides.

Some say the mpg is affected but I've not found that to be the case. I've had a 3.68 FD in mine for about 6-7 years.

You REALLY notice the difference when you've had a 3.68 for a while and then drive a VR6 with the standard FD again. Just feels like it has no pull low down at all.

brilliant sounds like this may be its next treat and like you say i never max the car out.

Whats it like on the motorway sitting at 70 - 80(ish)?

thanks for the replys

Also a good time to fit a limited slip diff. I've been collecting parts for this, my plans are vr first and second, g60 third and final drive, I'm still alittle undecided which forth and fifth to go with at the moment, considering a longer fifth from a tdi box for motorway cruising.

Does it also make sense to fit a lightened flywheel? I have the FD ready to fit next year but hearing that the flywheel might make the mod even better?

thanks for all the comments, is there a how to or anything i can read? i tried to have a chat to a loal gearbox specalist but he did not seem very keen to have a go.

i have sourced a G60 box now. the bit that worries me is he talked about shimming parts up and going on about ratio's. i said that people have done it and rave about it but he was not as enthusiastic as i was. i am happy to do jobs on my car (mech engineer by trade and minded) but have never played with a gearbox and the unknown concerns/intrigues slightly. Is this a home job?

thanks again for any info.

also does it matter which code box you do it to as i know there is a AGK and a CDM? (where is the code written on the box?)

thanks adam

As mentioned before, I had mine done 6-7 years ago along with a rebuild and a quaife diff. At 90 odd K, the original box was starting feel a little tired and had some bearing noises. Stealth did it for me and I persuaded Vince to do it in a day. He prefers 2 days for contingency normally. It was a big job and cost about £1700 in total. £550 for the rebuild, £600 for the diff, £50 for the s/hand 3.68 crownwheel, plus the labour and vat. The rebuild consisted of more parts than usual as I'm a bit fussy. ALL syncro cones, not just 2nd/3rd and ALL bearings, not just the layshaft and output ones.

What can I say about Vince's gearbox builds? I've had a few done by him (previous MK2 golfs) before and they've always been perfect and my VR one still is 7 years on. No cold morning baulking from 1st to 2nd, no crunching, nothing. Absolutely spot on. The guy used to work at Gemini Transmissions, so what he doesn't know about gearboxes isn't worth knowing :D

The Quaife et al gives a nice weight to the steering and beefs up the self centering as well, plus of course giving more traction out of tight corners under power. The lightened flywheel works well with the 12V engine too, making rev a lot keener low down and I haven't yet come across any downsides during normal road driving.

Most people ignore the gearbox as a way to improve performance, which is a shame as there's a lot of untapped potential in there.

I wont say exact costs but I asked both Stealth and HotGolf for prices for the same thing and Stealth were about 40% more but then they are an established buisness with the expereince as mentioned above. I dont know the guy HotGolf (Martin) but I believe this is a sideline for him however there is nothing but good words for him on clubgti forum so I dont doubt his ability to do the same job.

Hotgolf has a well deserved good reputation but as you say, you have to wait inline for it. I wanted it done quicker and as I've known Vince for a long time and his well established gearbox skills, I was happy to pay the extra, although there wasn't a 40% difference in price for me at the time.

that seems very interesting, never gave 6 speed a thought.

Fishwick or anyone with the FD fitted would you be so kind as to post a few 'at this speed in this gear i am doing these revs' only as mine is a daily and i have a pretty good curise to work, if this is not effected to much then this will be my christmas ho

I had a flywheel lightened by hotgolf, and can't recommend him highly enough. You will have to post it off to him, but I had it back to my door in 4 days. Very good turnaround. Mine was a golf3 gti 8v flywheel, and price was £69 including return delivery iirc. Was about 6 months ago.

I got in touch with them. It looks a fairly cheap mod, plus a 3.94 R&P, and a LSD would do a killer transmission.

with a 3.95 final gear and a tdi 6th would be close to oem gearing in 6th while having short gears for moutain driving.

agk394RP6V.jpg

explosioncad.jpg

I am toying with the idea of selling my VFE stage 3 for this tranny