UseOnceDestroy

Rear Axle Bushes

Standard without question. Passive rear steer and ride comfort are lost with poly. OEM new ones are perfect.

Jay

Another yes for genuine VW original items.

i have powerflex rear bushes, mainly because they were easy to DIY fit, can't say i notice a massive amount of difference while driving, but then again i'm not usually driving on the limit.

Don't know how long my old standard ones were knackered for so i can't really make a decent comparision, but it hasn't ruined the ride and i only really drive on rubbish B-roads.

Are these not the bushes that benefit from being replaced with R32 equivalents?

Nope thats the front wishbone rear 'doughnut' bush.

Decent poly ones don't "ruin" the ride but OEM ones are better and retain the passive rear steer more. It's not to say personal preference does not mean you might prefer the dynamics of poly, but from experience OEM is the way to go in this location...

The R32 bushes mentioned are for the front wishbones not the rear beam.

Jay

I believe the FEBI ones through volkspares are also pretty good and a good sight cheaper?

Likewise, my replacements are Febi ones (hopefully going to get them fitted next week...)

See here - for the VR6 ones it's £8.34 each! Chuck in a new nut and bolt and it's £10.91 per side. Darn sight better than the stealers' prices!

Stone

You get what you pay for.

EXACTLY!!!

And the rear beam bushes are not something you want to be replacing all the time,theyre a pain in the &r$e to get in

i have powerflex rear bushes, mainly because they were easy to DIY fit, can't say i notice a massive amount of difference while driving, but then again i'm not usually driving on the limit.

Don't know how long my old standard ones were knackered for so i can't really make a decent comparision, but it hasn't ruined the ride and i only really drive on rubbish B-roads.

Same here... Apart from the b-roads

EXACTLY!!!

And the rear beam bushes are not something you want to be replacing all the time,theyre a pain in the &r$e to get in

Yep you do, had this very conversation a good few times over the years and even got to the point where a good friend swore he would never pay VAG prices for bushes because how could the Febi ones be worse, that changed 18 months later when the Febi items were shot and he is a very vocal advocate of genuine VW items now.

Lets face it, the bushes do 100k+ and 15-20 years for the genuine article you can't say that's not good in terms of wear.

As for polybushes, I would never fit them unless I was building a track car that got torn down at the end of every season and inspected, as for why not on a road car then there is an article on the VW Vortex (used to have a link but its gone) where a guy fitted polybushes and they dropped out after wearing the metal in the wishbone out instead of the bush.

Bushes are designed to flex, poly compound is too stiff so the wear and loads are transfered to other places instead.

Edited by Yandards

Mate, I have the original bushes from my car which had no play and look completely fine. Yours cheap if you need them. They are currently in the spare rear beam but could have them removed.

If you want to pop over and have a look, your welcome. I live in Bmth.

Cheers mate, but I went ahead and bought the VW bushes... the previous ones lasted a good 16 years, £5.60 a year doesn't seem too bad :p ... I will however pop over one day, I'll PM you my contact details...

90 quid for 2 bushes!! Shiiiit the bed!

Seriously?! They were half that when I did mine 7 years ago. They need doing again incidentally. They don't last long if you drive hard.

Seriously?! They were half that when I did mine 7 years ago. They need doing again incidentally. They don't last long if you drive hard.

Parts prices are 25% higher that 3 years ago mate. Inflation and weakness of the pound has meant the prices have gone through the roof.

I probably sold them to you at cost anyway :lol:

Nah supplied and fitted by Stealth mate :D

Should start a new poll: "How many times have you replaced the rear axle bushes on the same Corrado?" :lol:

Mine are just starting to crack after 80k miles, genuine fitted by Stealth - still feels fine though but I reckon 100k is a good interval.

Kev - there are a pair of genuine VR ones on eBay for £21 each

Cheers Ste. Not actually doing mine at the moment though. Maybe next year. I fancy trying the Vibratechnics ones as they apparently make the car feel a lot more planted.