20vtvw

DBP from 24v to VRT

Engine is in!!!!!

some pics of what ive been up to,

new clutch fitted with all new bolts,then gearbox stripped cleaned and painted block also got the same treatment.

IMAG0172.jpg

rear engine mount had to cut down as the engine sat too high,

IMAG0188.jpg

sat on its mounts now.

IMAG0181.jpg

couple of shots with inlet and cover fitted,some before cutting 25mm out of rear mount.

IMAG0187.jpg

IMAG0183.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

IMAG0191.jpg

IMAG0195.jpg

then tided looms up inside, behind fuse box and ran engine loom through a gromet (just needs poking through hole in bulkhead now)

IMAG0189.jpg

IMAG0190.jpg

thats it for now ,let me know what you think...

Edited by 20vtvw

looking good bud, did the engine only hit with the cover on? personaly think it looks better with no cover and with the manifold painted, still got this conversion to look forward to when my loom finnaly gets sorted out, are you doing the electrics? keep it up!

it just about cleared with the cover off but the engine sat tilted so i cut the mount down mainly to get it sitting level,i got andyout to make my loom ive just cut and extended where needed, i will be getting the rocker cover chrome powder coated and inlet mani colour coded so will have choice of running with or without cover..

also got a stubby cupra brake master cylinder supposed to give good brake pedal feel..

Looking good bud, liking the plastic cover, looks very oem. Think if you painted the manifold too it will look ace and give you the option to run with te plastic cover or with out pending mood :)

Looks good in there. One thing though, you should not need to cut down the mount at the rear, the engine is supposed to sit at an angle to allow the oil to flow the right way down into the block from the head and in the sump. Worst case you have to lower the front mount a touch for clearance. Bear in mind the block is exactly the same forging as the 12v so why would you need to tilt it?

Good progress though mate.

Cheers

Jay

You sure Jay? I had to chop my rear mount to allow for the dubpower manifold to fit and level out the engine. plus the front of the manifold used to foul on the slam panel.

isnt the sump angle for the reason you mention?

im sure it will b e fine sitting flat as i had a mk4 4mo and the lump looked level in that..

nice work mate coming along well and if your still working outside the weather realy hasnt been on your side.

Thanks mate ,yes still working outside so dont get to work on it as much as i would like,

im picking up some modded 24v exhaust manifolds that are ment to fit a vr6 down pipe ,will then weld in two lambda bosses,,fingers crossed it all fits as i dont really have £400 for ss manifold..

i got a few bits sorted today ,got the mk4 shift tower fitted(was siezed up so had to strip clean and rebuild) now its very smooth and im looking farward to seeing how it feels when driving,Also fitted a spacer for the front mount and final fitted the starter motor,ive fitted it upside down so workings are underneath(dont know if it can work this way but is worth a try)??

IMAG0201.jpg

IMAG0202.jpg

Edited by 20vtvw

small update,ive just fitted my exhaust mannifold :D its made up from audi 24v headers with vr6 flanges welded at the correct angle then vr6 downpipe bolted to that with two lambda bosses welded into that in the same possition as 24v manifold had them..its a really good fit so really happy with it..(and much much cheaper than off the shelf stuff) :p

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

couple of pics now the loom is nearly all plugged in ..(still needs wrapping )

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

also got a new daily driver

BMW 320d got some nice wheels to go on soon after ive fitted coilovers ..

IMG_0178-1.jpg

more updates soon as i realy want it back on the road now!!!

oh you defo winning

does look tidy though russ sterling work chap looking forward to seeing it :)

IT STARTS!!!!!!!!!!!

Had a full day on it today and got all the loom plugged in and fitted the battery into the boot ,i tried to fit the cat but my modded down pipe sits at the wrong angle so will have to fit a flexy on the front of the cat to fit the exhaust,,

then since i had the battery connected i thought i would see if it would turn over,,,i did and started very easily..

i have a couple of isues that i need to sort like dials not moving and no battery light??? also my windows only work when doors open??

thank you,,

update time, ive managed to get all the exhaust on now and sorted ,i had to cut the flange on the cat and re position it to fit then weld it back up,

also got all front end back on ,two slim line fans and kenlow two speed fan controller fitted and tested ,

At the moment im just getting everything ready for mot (on the 6th) so coilovers are all raised merc 8 holes fitted with good toyo proxes(but still spins up the wheels in 3rd!)all lights and horn working so shouldnt really fail its test unless ive missed something??

inside i managed to fix my dash lights problem by adding a live wire to E2 in the fues box,now have warning lights ,speedo,temp,revs and mfa,,so very happy about that...

just got the dash bolted back in tonight and will get rest of wireing tucked out of the way and carpet re fitted over the weekend ready for MOT on monday!!!..

couple of pics from last week,

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg

IMG_0394.jpg

hope you like ,,cos i love it!!!

Edited by 20vtvw

looking sweet! i remember seeing pics of your down pipe on edition, realy nice job with the flanges , i took a different approach at doing it, cant belive you done alll this outside under a gazebo! thats dedication!

thanks ,its my second driveway conversion ,first was 20vt in my last Rado ,dont mind but all this rain really slows things down.

good news dude, much more left to do ?

, so tell me , honestley whats it like to drive? im itching to find out but got another week of niggly bits to sort out + waiting on a new rad to arrive :(