Wullie

Oh I'm bad

On increasing ther speed limit to 80.

The study, published online in the British Medical Journal, also said a higher limit could increase gas emissions and air pollution as well as lead to obesity, with more people taking advantage of shorter car journeys.

So this 10 stone weakling better slow down. Or stop farting.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/crash-fear-over-higher-speed-limit-233324221.html

Where can you walk to quicker than drive that involves a motorway or dual carriageway?

If it is quicker to walk there while it is 70, what is the cut off point where it becomes quicker to drive? 71,72,78?

Published by the British medical journal? Well they are clearly a bunch of idiots.

Are they also saying that the 70 speed limit was the cause of the crash on the m5? If it was 80 it would have been worse? Really?

I think the fact that visibility was seriously reduced was the cause. The cars should probably have been going closer to 40 than 70. So again a flawed argument.

Rise in road deaths? It happened in America, so it must be true then.

Excellent reporting to whoever wrote that. The annoying thing is people will believe it as well!

Edited by Rob_B

Given how many people drive at greater than 70mph, if the law became zero tolerance - i don't know using average speed cams or something - then probably there would be no difference or a reduction in the average speed. TBH I'm more in favour of mandatory variable speed limits, like on the M25 near Heathrow. I don't know what that is like now, but when it was introduced the traffic flowed much more freely - or was that because it was 6 lanes wide each way as well...

I think the smooth running of that part of the M25 is because of the average speed cameras. I've noticed a lot less congestion going through there too. If the limit was 70 and not enforced you would probably be doing 10-15mph, but in a 50 limit with cameras you do 50. I think what it boils down do is that the majority of drivers on the road are pretty bad, jumping on the brakes for no reason, cutting each other up causing others to brake and everyone tripping over each other until you're stopped. I think the only way to ease congestion on the roads is to ban driving. Or ban vehicles. Either would be effective.

Even if it does go up to 80, i'll not drive much more than 80 anyway. Fuel consumption starts getting silly (I do lots of long journeys). 77mph is the best compromise between speed and economy in my book. On the continent anyway... :)

"Past evidence shows that speed limit increases lead to substantial rises in road deaths"

Ah yes, would be so much better if we all drove at 5mph with a man with a red flag walking in front of us :roll:

and since when did the London School of Hygiene and Medicine know anything about driving anyway, should stick to advising people how to wipe their arses.

Do you have any idea how many people die each year from incorrect arse wiping?

They won't be totally happy until nobody ever gets hurt doing anything.

With the relentless war on speed, you cant see any politician agreeing to this as its not a vote 'winner'. Raising the limit to 80 would make perfect sense or adopt the french method of higher limit in the dry and lower in the wet/inclement weather

Do you have any idea how many people die each year from incorrect arse wiping?

They won't be totally happy until nobody ever gets hurt doing anything.

The Sheffield steel work authority did a study and found that 16 people a year die from incorrectly wiping. This can be drastically reduced through the use of a servant or hard hat.

I wonder how they would account for the road death rate in Australia? Most places have a 110kph limit, that's around 68mph and it's rigidly enforced. Every night on the news reports of road deaths, public holiday weekends they keep a running total!

First hint of rain and there's cars arse end first into the scenery, wet slippery roads and no one slows down! It's not exactly speed, it's failing to drive correctly in the conditions.

Although I do like Clarkson's view that it's not speed that kills......it's suddenly becoming stationary!

Does the Australian toll just count accidents or also people who break down in the middle of nowhere and starve to death?

Does the Australian toll just count accidents or also people who break down in the middle of nowhere and starve to death?

Thankfully that doesn't happen too often! I shredded a tyre on my Landcruiser on a desert road in outback WA. As I worked on the wheel change another 4x4 pulled up to offer assistance, a hundred or so miles from anywhere.

Another time I pulled into a rest area on Pacific Highway 2 hours north of Sydney. My Ford Gt V8 was behaving very strange at the rear, one tyre was ready to burst with a massive "egg" on it. As I changed the wheel several people stopped to offer help.

People who get into trouble usually only have themselves to blame.

A German couple who got their 4x4 stuck in desert sand paid a high price when after several days, one died before rescue arrived. The rescue team simply lowerd the tyre pressures and drove the vehicle out!

The most amusing one to us was the guy from the Uk who got lost on foot in the Blue mountains not too long ago, a couple of hours drive from Sydney. He got a around $200,000 for his story from the news papers.

The whole thing was a pile of bulls*it if you ask me, I know the area he was "lost" in very well, he said he was starving to death. There's a McDonalds a short walk from where he was!