Pat_McCrotch

Headlamp Washer Jet Retrofit Kits Bulk Buy. Interest?

Noticed that all the parts for the retrofit are available from Classic Parts & Dealers.

Downsides? Drilling of your bumper required, as well as the wiring and retrofit of a bigger washer bottle.

Estimated cost for the parts is around £250 delivered which consists of a new washer pump, bottle, two jets, piping, connectors and wiring.

Anyone interested? It was a pretty rare option so you'll be unique ;)

If you have HIDs fitted you will need this to pass the MOT after April 1st.

You will also of course need self levelling and that's a whole different ballgame to retrofit!

Um whats self levelling?

Sensors on front and rear axles continuously measuring pitch of car and adjusting headlamps up and down to maintain dip.....possibly a little tricky to install??? To stick to the letter of the law a car with HID headlamps has always needed self levelling and headlamp washers, apparently it will soon be part of the MOT.

Of course you can buy HID lamps for mountain bikes nowadays and set the beam anywhere you like!

Noticed that all the parts for the retrofit are available from Classic Parts & Dealers.

Downsides? Drilling of your bumper required, as well as the wiring and retrofit of a bigger washer bottle.

Estimated cost for the parts is around £250 delivered which consists of a new washer pump, bottle, two jets, piping, connectors and wiring.

Anyone interested? It was a pretty rare option so you'll be unique ;)

Hi Neil

So can you get the two sticky up bits fit to the bumper also included with everything else?

Would anyone know how hard this lot would be to install?

Hmmm.......tempting.

Sensors on front and rear axles continuously measuring pitch of car and adjusting headlamps up and down to maintain dip.....possibly a little tricky to install??? To stick to the letter of the law a car with HID headlamps has always needed self levelling and headlamp washers, apparently it will soon be part of the MOT.

Not sure why the sensing would have to be on the axles - should be possible to do it from within the headlight unit as gyroscopic sensors have become so cheap these days. Then again I totally agree with this - you're almost always going to have the wrong optics fitted in these conversion (how many people bother transplanting the headlight innards? 'just a bulb swap innit') and it's only right that MOT testers start getting harsher on the beam patterns - every day I see cars where the dipped-beam pattern covers the whole width of the road at eye level and it's downright dangerous.

On the bright side I can look forward to not being dazzled by them quite as often :)

Stone

Would be very interested in this - I have nearly every other extra except electric recaros and aircon on mine, so this would round it off nicely.

£250!! I keep a roll of kitchen towel in the car and just wipe the headlights after I fire it up, if they're dirty. Seems far better value :D

Also, without very high pressure jets, I can't see how headlight washers can be effective without wipers (ala 80s BMWs) anyway?

The current VW ones have an extra pump from the washer tank - I suspect running at higher pressure than the windscreen jets. I love the pop-up ones, very James Bond :lol:

Right, I've priced up everything at £285.00 delivered. But happy to do the first one for £250 delivered if anyone is willing to have a go and do a write up?

Hi Pat - do you have a list of the parts (no numbers needed) ? And is the tubing included ?

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I've also read on Vortex, that standard bumpers had a preformed cut out for these (not visible from the outside) that can be punched out prior to installation. Could anyone with a bumper off their car confirm this ?

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

[/color]I've also read on Vortex, that standard bumpers had a preformed cut out for these (not visible from the outside) that can be punched out prior to installation. Could anyone with a bumper off their car confirm this ?

x2 be great if they have;)

Just had a look at my spare bumper. You can't see anything on the inside of the plastic due to the bumper iron being in the way. Sorry guys, it needs to be a stripped down one to have a look.

Hi Pat - do you have a list of the parts (no numbers needed) ? And is the tubing included ?

I've also read on Vortex, that standard bumpers had a preformed cut out for these (not visible from the outside) that can be punched out prior to installation. Could anyone with a bumper off their car confirm this ?

Yes everything except the bumper :)

Having just checked ETKA, there are two bumpers listed, one for headlight washers - so we'll need to ascertain what needs to be done to fit these, hopefully just drilling some holes.

Should still be able to make this work with a little bit of extra drilling.

Pat - I'm willing to give this a try - what do we need to do to get the ball rolling ?

Thanks Pat - will call you after pay day this month to arrange order. What wiring changes are we going to need - is there a different relay ?

Just had a look at some of the parts on ETKA - I'm hoping that the whole bumper won't have to come off - I should be able to work through it with the indicators and fogs removed. Looking at pictures of cars with these fitted, I definitely think that they look fine on darker coloured cars like mine, but not so sure about others. I also hope that there will be enough tubing as the routing will hae to be different to stock.

Hi mate, I spoke to Classic Parts yesterday and the larger washer bottle isn't quite available yet :( They are going to let me know when they come in. So no rush :)