elliott

Anyone got a smooth roof?

Was washing the car the other day and noticed the roof trim is breaking up and thought maybe a smooth roof would be nice? The roof has no gutter anyhow and any standing water ends up in the door pocket so i'm not fussed. Only thing is filler would just crack over that distance right? Probably not worth the headache but anyone experienced/done this?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51081[/ATTACH]

Seen quite a few done but couldn't comment on how it holds up over time, Youed have to weld a strip in as filler would crack out in no time.

Had one done but it must be welded al the way, if you track weld it it will crack (paint of course, not the roof)

gold was mine

1111183x.jpg

Edited by emu

Emu,

your gold one looks gorgeous,

do you still miss it ?

not so much now as I sold it 7 years ago but I will always remember this car, bit of history and first 1.8T swap in Poland

Thanks, very nice! Got loads of welding to do so i'll see how long the patience lasts but it does look good. Picture saved to corrado folder :)

I've got a carbon fibre roof, thats pretty "smooth" :-) ! I have sorted smoothed roofs for other Corrado owners, but decided against it for my own car as it would add to the weight, and water annoyingly runs straight into an open door window.56bae4b8-d5c6-dae4.jpg56bae4b8-d5f2-01b9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I welded my sunroof and radio ariel I used very cold wet rags and did small bits at a time and didn't suffer much warping at all, the first lot of filler has sank over the last 6 months and had no cracking what so ever (and my car is my daily and gets a hammering) so it's pretty much ready for it's final skim and finish paint. Been pleasantly suprised

I think it would look good as a hybrid of both - not totally smooth, but with the front and back straightened out (and the mounting spikes for the roof bars taken out) and some of the depth filled in so you'd still have a bit of a groove leading to the drains. Lots of work though!

I still can't get my roof trim to sit properly so it's definitely on the table come the respray...

Smoothed Corrado roofs, however one feels about the aesthetics, do most certainly pose the annoyance of water that drains from the roof will poor straight in through an open door window. Love or hate the rubber trims, they do function to prevent this issue. When we designed the final draft of the prototype carbon roof, I wanted to delete the rubber trims but retain a shallow gutter to replace them, this channels roof water to the front and rear screens respectively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the carbon roof a full panel on the corrado in this topic? If so where are these sold? Thanks

yes and was sold by performance trim. but they no longer operate unfortunately

Haven't had a good look but i always get water coming in the window, i just thought that was part of the corrado character lol. Maybe the drain is blocked?

Considering how rubbish the sunroofs (or rather sunroof mechs) are, this seems like a pretty good idea

---------- Post added at 10:16 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 AM ----------

However - Water draining into your windows as a result of smooth roof? I dunno, I drive with my window partially open all the time, even when it's raining.

thinking about welding my sunroof up as i hate sun roofs and mine leaks slightly even tho it shouldnt , anyone here done it ? or had it done? does the metal sunroof match perfect to the rest of the roof if aligned right? looks like it would but cant tell,

However - Water draining into your windows as a result of smooth roof? I dunno, I drive with my window partially open all the time, even when it's raining.

Get yourself some wind deflectors mate - best cheap mod I've done as it means you can have the window open (to an extent) with it raining, and travelling at 70 on the motorway with hardly any noise or rain!!

No sunroof on my 8v, which is nice in some ways, but the roof tilted is good for ventilation sometimes, might consider a door glass wind deflector though, be good as wind noise is bad on motorway but a slightly open window helps the blower fan out.

I've seen a few welded up gutters that have cracked or uneven filler, you want a really good body shop to do those properly.