Sign in to follow this  
OSV

Rear Axles Bushes Question ?

OK, having read some of the threads about handling and suspension there seems to be consensus of opinion that the rear axle bushes need to be spot on. I'm quite happy that mine could do with replacing. The question is standard VAG or polyurethane?

I'm aware pretty much of whay the standard VAG product has to offer, but the polyurethane bushes will no doubt last longer although in reality this in itself won't be much of an issue.

Are there any other benefits or perhaps downsides to going with the polyurethane bushes. :?:

The VAG ones are the only ones that provide the passive rear wheel steer that the car has from the factory.

Other than that I don't know much about the poly ones. Note that a large proportion of the in-car noise and road vibration comes from the back end (due to the ancient design of the rear suspension), so I have a feeling the harder poly bushes are likely to make that worse.

It depends who is fitting the bushes. The poly ones can be done without the aid of a press and therefore without totally removing the axle.

I had poly bushes on the back of my Golf and I can't say that I noted any difference in noise. I'd say if you have a non standard exhaust, that would produce more noise than axle bushes.

Gavin

The VAG ones are the only ones that provide the passive rear wheel steer that the car has from the factory.

Not looking to cause upset here, but...........

You mension this in all threads about bushes; I have to ask why this is good?

I seem to remember the vw brochure said the Corrado has track correcting rear bearings, so does that mean the passive rear steer isnt even anything to do with the bushes? :?

Got Powerflex bushes all round on mine now, on certain road surfaces they are a bit noisier but most of the time its not noticable. Not sure how much of an improvement in handling they made as the old ones were pretty knackered so even new standard ones would have improved it.

Joe M: When VW talk about the track correcting rear bearing they mean the axle bushes. AKA axle beam mount bearings. Nowt to do with wheel bearings...

Why is it a good thing? Well under cornering force the whole rear axle twists, so that the rear wheels point slightly outwards, thereby making the car turn in more sharply and countering any understeer you were about to experience...

Having done mine recently, you'd be surprised by the changes new VW axle bushes bring about. I discussed the pros and cons of each compound with Vince and deciced that OE ones are good for 10 years (after which time the car will either be in the junkyard or with someone else) and offer good ride comfort and handling. I've had poly before and it's awful, even the softer purple grade powerflex ones. People that say it makes no difference to the ride quality don't use their cars often enough and over a wide variety of tarmac surfaces. And they squeak like a bar steward if not properly lubed up duing installation. I don't like the way they go in either, doesn't look as secure as stock.

K

It certainly sounds like the stock bushes are the way to go then, with the benefits being the road noise issues and passive rear wheel steer.

It depends who is fitting the bushes. The poly ones can be done without the aid of a press and therefore without totally removing the axle.

Is is possible to fit the OE bushes without removing the axle from the car?

No the axle needs to come down regardless of what bush you fit. You can just suspend it from the shocks with a stand in the middle holding the weight.

Budget £60-£70 for a new rear proportioning valve aswell because the 2 hex headed bolts that secure it always seize solid, so you'll need to cut it off. But it's alloy so shouldn't take too long.

K

Just wanna echo what Kev said, I had new OE rear axle bushes & rear shocks fitted on my VR not long after I got it as the rear end felt a bit wooly!!! All I can say is what a transformation!.. well worth doing IMO. Rear end is tight as a nuns er.... rear now!

Cheers,

Robbo

true about the rear proportioning valve, normally. i thought i had a right result when mine didn't need cutting off, 4 months later the bastard started leaking so it got changed anyhow :( !!!