elliott

Smells just like a golf...

If anyone is thinking about fitting a 4 branch manifold please heat wrap it, this video is a good lesson.

[video=youtube_share;5eylwh63Fds]

Never liked the mk4 anyway.

Pretty harsh of me to say... But it's pretty much common sense.. A hot manifold bang next to a piece of rubber full of grease.

I've seen a few bare manifolds over the years. You'd be surprised how the new generation think about upgrading their car.

Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box as he (1) gets back in a burning car, (2) leaves the bonnet and doors open while it's burning to give the fire a nice plentiful supply of oxygen.

And... does he have enough gauges in that car????

Edited by Portent

does it say on the you tube clip source that the manifold was unwrapped, pretty hard to determine from the video?

i think correct fitting and protection of anything surrounding is more important than heat wrapping as the wrap gets so hot anyway.

fair do's having an extinguisher handy, didn't help much though did it.

always sad to see someones pride and joy go up in flames though.

My corrado had no heat shield when i bought it, First thing i did was get one! I'm still missing the flappy material bit tho but i was really surprised how much heat was getting into the cabin. Is the corrado bad for getting hot while stationary? I don't usually get stuck in traffic but i've noticed that when i do the oil can reach 110 sometimes. It really stresses me out....

fair do's having an extinguisher handy, didn't help much though did it.

Didn't see one being used, did I miss it?

Obviously not the sharpest tool in the box as he (1) gets back in a burning car, (2) leaves the bonnet and doors open while it's burning to give the fire a nice plentiful supply of oxygen.

Exactly - if you see / hear / smell fire in your engine bay then you pop the hood onto the safety catch only, and empty your dry powder extinguisher into the gap. What do you mean, you don't carry one?

On a related note, I haven't seen ceramic exhaust coatings mentioned as an alternative to heatwrap. Looks a lot neater but is very expensive in single quantities - could be potential for a group buy, maybe?

rte_img_standard_415.jpg

Stone

Didn't see one being used, did I miss it?

Exactly - if you see / hear / smell fire in your engine bay then you pop the hood onto the safety catch only, and empty your dry powder extinguisher into the gap. What do you mean, you don't carry one?

On a related note, I haven't seen ceramic exhaust coatings mentioned as an alternative to heatwrap. Looks a lot neater but is very expensive in single quantities - could be potential for a group buy, maybe?

rte_img_standard_415.jpg

Stone

Very expensive is right..

i looked at getting a vr6 manifold ceramic coated a while back,£230 plus shipping plus vat for the base black version, £380 - £640 for the sexy chilled red look.. Zircotec so mabie able to get a little cheaper elsewhere .. But F**k

Edited by winchbietch

extinguisher getting used at 0:55, at that stage the fire seemed to have taken hold, too little too late maybe, wonder if they disconnected the battery.

i carry a powder extinguisher for this very reason, and one of those seat belt/ window smasher hammer things, has to be worth the £25 outlay.

Old video but a good reminder.... Always carry extinguisher in my car for that reason...

My raceland is ceramic coated in just the base black colour. Looks loads better than heat wrapping..

It always amazes me how some people can stay calm enough in this situation to video it all ..... if it were my car I would probably be quite annoyed that all my mate was concerned about was getting it on his camera !!!

extinguisher getting used at 0:55, at that stage the fire seemed to have taken hold, too little too late maybe, wonder if they disconnected the battery.

Aha, well spotted. Would probably have worked fine if they'd used it when they first saw flames (0:10-0:15) but might well have been salvageable even 40 seconds later if they'd used it correctly!

For the record - sweep it back and forth across the base of the flames: you're trying to cool down whatever's on fire until it's not self-sustaining any more. Giving the vents the odd toot here and there as shown above is pointless - they're mostly attacking the smoke which has come from somewhere else! They knew the fire was near the exhaust manifold when they looked in the engine bay so they should have just sprayed the lot in there - they might have cooled it down enough to save the interior from catching. Also note the dry powder type continuously leak pressure once the seal is pierced so you have to use it all up in the first 30 seconds or so, otherwise you may not have enough pressure left to use up all of the powder. No point wasting it , it's all or nothing :)

Yes, they were probably panicking (I know I would be) but if you spend a few seconds thinking about it now with a clear head then you'll have a head start if you have to think about it in a flap later!

Stone

Horrible video to watch but I would have thought that some of the running gear might have been salvagable.

I always keep a fire extinguisher and 10mm spanner handily accessible in my car.

I once read a horrifying story about a policeman who arrived at the scene of a head-on accident to find an uninjured man trapped in one of the cars (doors mangled so they wouldn't open and the steering column was between his legs). They chatted for a few minutes and then they noticed a small amount of smoke coming from under the bonnet of the car. The long and short of it was that the policeman, despite his best efforts, was eventually forced back by the heat of the ensuing electrical fire and he had to watch, and listen to, the driver of the car burn to death. All because the battery was still connected.

Once wiring starts to burn (even if its unrelated to the cause of the fire) then if the battery is still connected it will just keep burning as more and more wires short together. Very scary and very quick - a 10mm (or 13mm depending on the car) is all you need to disconnect the battery and remove the electrical supply.

Its all too easy to think after it happens but emptying the washer bottle (if full) down the back of the manifold might have saved it, The little fire extinguishers are ok but as said it's all or nothing. I know of an ex scirocco owner who had a water leak around the front window that ended up dripping into the fuse/relay area causing his much loved car to self ignite. However being a policeman attending a road accident must be one of the worst jobs, i understand now why they stopped me regularly as a teenager and gave me a good old bollocking.

Horrible video to watch but I would have thought that some of the running gear might have been salvagable.

I always keep a fire extinguisher and 10mm spanner handily accessible in my car.

I once read a horrifying story about a policeman who arrived at the scene of a head-on accident to find an uninjured man trapped in one of the cars (doors mangled so they wouldn't open and the steering column was between his legs). They chatted for a few minutes and then they noticed a small amount of smoke coming from under the bonnet of the car. The long and short of it was that the policeman, despite his best efforts, was eventually forced back by the heat of the ensuing electrical fire and he had to watch, and listen to, the driver of the car burn to death. All because the battery was still connected.

Once wiring starts to burn (even if its unrelated to the cause of the fire) then if the battery is still connected it will just keep burning as more and more wires short together. Very scary and very quick - a 10mm (or 13mm depending on the car) is all you need to disconnect the battery and remove the electrical supply.

I read that somewhere too... pretty grim to read.

What a pair of dumb arses. If they'd spent more time extinguishing the fire instead of staring at it and filming it, they might have saved the car and not wasted the Fire service's time either.

I remember when my first VR6 Turbo engine caught fire when the turbo oil line ruptured. I was like a ferret running round looking for stuff to throw on the flames. Dirt, rags, my soiled pants, anything to put it out. I certainly didn't stand there like a zombie with a phone. Smells of an insurance job to me. The owner clearly not bothered about it being on you tube. And clearly not intelligent enough to realise the insurance company might see it, and the owner's / mate's lack of effort to put the fire out.

Insurance? I hope he told his insurance company about all the gauges and shiny bits he's added, that and the non air bag steering wheel upgrade. :bonk: