Sign in to follow this  
g60bv

finally stopped my exhaust from knocking

it's been two years since i put the exhaust on, (jetex), and its banged every day since :cry: , well last week end i took it all off, cut off the original hangers from the chassis and the exhaust welded on new bracked and used bobbins, or cotton reels, wow :shock: the car is so nice to drive, even on the biggest bump and over cobbles there's no klonk donk donk, and coz i made it all up i was able to get the tail pipe in the middle of the opening, 8) the rear box is almost solid! well chuffed with my self. 8) definatle a must do, those silly B shaped ones just stretch after a day of use. i'v got pictures, just know idea how to get them on here, :oops: .

Sounds interesting and I want to see the pics so here some brief instructions.

Post topic as normal with text.

1. Click 'Add an Attachment'

2. The page will then load with additional options click choos and then click open on your chosen file.

3. Click 'Add attachment' and the file will be uploaded to the forum. (if you wish to add addtional files/photos go back to step 2 and reapeat)

4. Then click on submit as you would normally when posting.

Hope this is clear

ok so here goes...

no still wont have it, it just sits there, iget the file name in the browse box, than press ads att' . it flickers then nowt.! :cry:

just seen your att, i have browse, not choose...? why

choose is just 'cos he's not using Internet Explorer I'd bet...

How big are these photos? There's a maximum size that you can post (can't remember it off hand :oops: ) but I tend to post all my pics at 800x600 and if there's anyone who wants a higher res version, they can PM me and I'll email it to them... 8)

Need to sort out my exhaust as well, Fitted a miltex last year and it seems to be knocking where it passes over the axle.

Has anyone else had this problem and got any idea how to stop it? its really annoying.

It seems to do it more when the cars hot. does that meen the rubber hangers are streching maybe?

the rubber ring type hangers are pooh, abit of heat and they go slopy., i'v tried different mounts, welded on plates and bars, but nothing works as well as the bobbin, you get m4 or m5 threads out of each end and a cotton reel type rubber in the middle, . then all you need to do, is weld a straight metal plate on which allows you to position the system exactly where you want it, (about 10mm above the rear axel), since doing mine is been a dream to drive, i really didn't realise just how much noise the exhaust was making, i always thought it was the suspension, :roll:

ah cheers mate,

bobbins ? never heard of them to be honest. where would i go to buy them?

Its amazing how something so stupid can annoy you when your driving.

is this a common problem then? really want to sort it out now so cheers for any advice chaps.

i went to my local tyre and exhaust place. or 'sh?t' fit. ask one of the monkey's working there for a bobbin or cotton reel type exhaust mount, usually they give them to you, some times a couple of quid, i seen two types, a small ish one about 20mm in diameter and 20mm in length, with 15mm thread in m5, i used these for the back of the back box on new brackets, i also had to bend the whole back box, cos i found that if you get one section good then another section knocks, under the heat sheld where the spare tyre bulge is. and a larger one about 40 mm and 40 mm with m6 thread, i used this one for the tail pipe, completly cut off the original hanger and throw away, including the one on the exhaust, make up new brackets and weld on to the exhaust. this way you can position the tail pipe perfectly in the bumper. hope this is any help, i'm still having difficulties getting pictures on here,

I thought the Miltek was supposed to be the dogs.. I bought a second hand scorpion SS system for my VR6 but have since been put off because the fitment to supposed to be shite. Anyone else tried fitting one?

If its going to be the same with any exhaust I might just try the scorpion and bend it to suit with a blow torch. If VW can get the fitment right its a shame these apparently superior exhausts can't.

If VW can get the fitment right its a shame these apparently superior exhausts can't.

I think most of us have more of a problem when the suspension is lowered - mine catches on the bottom rear shocker mounting bolt.

Stevemac, is that with a standard exhaust? I've lowered the Corrado 30mm ish and I've never heard the standard exhaust hit.

I've had exhausts hitting the rear beam on mk2 golfs I've lowered before. Wanted to get away from all that. Like the sound of these bobbins making it more secure, just not so sure about cutting the cars mounting points though. Plus I don't weld.

Stevemac, is that with a standard exhaust? I've lowered the Corrado 30mm ish and I've never heard the standard exhaust hit.

No - I have a Magnex fitted.

It's usually the bottom shocker mounting bolt that catches the silencer - the lower the car the more likely the problem.

My car is lowered by approx 80mm though. 8)

haven't even lowered mine yet !! :(

Where's BA Baracus and his welding kit when you need him

Did they replace the rubber hangers too ? they stretch after a few years.

i'e got mine lowered .. well enough so the top of the tyre sits in line with the wheel arch (205 40 17) and it does n't knock at all, i had 3 in the car on sunday, going to volks fest thing at sandown, and it only knocked a bit when i caned it and giong over massive speed bumps, thou i never had my back box hit the suspension bolt, it's a good 2" away from that,

I think most of us have more of a problem when the suspension is lowered - mine catches on the bottom rear shocker mounting bolt.

Yep, spot on. Made worse in my case because of the Neuspeed anti-roll bar. I always put a big dent in the rear box when fitting ARBs to overcome that wee problem :lol:

Only had the exhaust put on about 2-3wks ago, so can't be worn hangers can it?? I was at the volks fest thing.. altho I was super hungover and couldn't really manage a thing

i had my jetex system fitted the other day and it was knocking a little bit, however it was fixed by fitting some tougher rubber mounts from powerflex i think. Now it doesnt knock and it sounds well nice 8)

the knocking on mine would appear to be related to the heatshield .... I say 'would' because me dad started tinkering with it whilst i was sleepin off a hangover :)

He certainly wasn't impressed with Amd's fitting technique :roll:

I've had this problem with both my Golf Gti's I had before the Corrado and then on Corrado too.

I've got a Magnex system, which in the end I cut a couple of slots about 90% through the pipe, then bent the pipe to close them up and welded them up.

This allowed me to get more clearance over the beam by adjusting the angle of the bends.

It never knocks now, its lowered 35mm and I've had 3 people in the back!

Right, finally the exhaust is done!! .... The knocking was actually coming from the mount nearest the beam... the VW rubber hangers were allowing the exhaust to move laterally and it literally (tongue twister) was striking against its own mount.... why AMD didn't pick this up I do not know, cowboys.... but anyways the car is soooooo quiet now I couldn't believe it.. must've been causing some resonance or something.. all I get now is my lovely K&N roar at 4k and because that lives outside the car now, its not boomy either.. JUSTICE!!

thats coinsidence ive just stopped mine from knocking on thursday. the silly thing is all i had to do was replace

the middle section rubber mounts with some shorter stronger ones and its fine. took me about 1 min to fit them

Bobbywhacker i know what you mean because i thought thats where mine was knocking at one point

so i modified it to give it more clearance but it wasnt that anyway.

like you say though its so nice driving it now used to really annoy me.

Yep, spot on. Made worse in my case because of the Neuspeed anti-roll bar. I always put a big dent in the rear box when fitting ARBs to overcome that wee problem :lol:

:lol: I've got visions of Mr. Perfection sitting in his driveway wolloping the crap out of his brand new exhaust :lol:

My exhaust is rattling with engine revs at the moment, but that's probably cos I've knocked something loose. Sounds like it's coming from the back somwhere, but not really had a look.